OP
ittessor

ittessor

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU, 2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker, 2013 Chrysler 300S
Occupation
IT PRO
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for this info. I might be leaning towards this. The dust/cover“cap” on the rear of the headlight assembly fit good after you plugged the new one in?

Btw, to your comment on not having as clean a cutoff line, that’s understandable because we don’t have the projector housing.
When I got the headlights and opened the package I immediately thought I made a huge mistake. This was due to the larger heatsinks on the bulbs. On top of that was the connection plug. After removing housing and cap I connected the new bulb first, then tucked the connector to the side (in between the outer headlight housing / inner assembly housing), then installed the bulb. Again surprised, put back the dust cap without an issue.

What I only am concerned with is heat dissipation with the dust cap on. That is just me, due to the size of the heat sinks and being enclosed in the assembly. I am and will continue to monitor through the hotter months just in case.
Sponsored

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
When I got the headlights and opened the package I immediately thought I made a huge mistake. This was due to the larger heatsinks on the bulbs. On top of that was the connection plug. After removing housing and cap I connected the new bulb first, then tucked the connector to the side (in between the outer headlight housing / inner assembly housing), then installed the bulb. Again surprised, put back the dust cap without an issue.

What I only am concerned with is heat dissipation with the dust cap on. That is just me, due to the size of the heat sinks and being enclosed in the assembly. I am and will continue to monitor through the hotter months just in case.
Thanks for the info. So despite the heat sink and connector, it fit just fine. Awesome.

There was still a functional hi/low beam as well? And you’re 100% sure there was no flicker issue? I know for some of the lights, there was talk about flicker after turning off the lights... you didn’t notice any?

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
I got the Auxbeam headlights and foglight per this post off of Amazon. I had to get the resistors, too, for the headlights. No flickering, no flashing of oncoming traffic and an amazing improvement in visibility and brightness. Installation was simple, albeit frustrating because the bottom grille holders (plastic pieces that fit into the frame around the radiator), at least on my JLU, were really tight. I had to loosen them with a flat head screwdriver. The rubber seal behind the headlights fit snug even with the resistors. You have to kinda insert all the parts around the housing, but it works.

I'm going to get the white/amber switchback LED's when I have a chance and post pics once I get it. But for the price, I really like it. I'm going to go with aftermarket accessory lights, like I did on my JKU: light bar and LED cubes. The light bar isn't an option yet on the JL because of the easy fold flat windshield. I drive in Baja, MX, a lot, and at night its pitch black, so aux lighting is a necessity. I'm going in 2 months, so I will have a real test of these LED bulbs. The Auxbeam LED's for the fogs are really driving lights. Too bright to be fogs, which is okay with me since I need as much bright lighting as possible.

The high beams work great, too. Using the factory reflector with the LED bulbs just means that the light pattern is more intense and in the white color spectrum.

vilacr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
How has this worked out? It has been a few weeks, I would like to purchase these for my JLUS.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
For me, after about 2 weeks, I’ve had no issues. The light output is 3x better, IMO, than stock with a daylight white appearance as opposed to the yellow from the halogens. I got flashed a couple of times, especially at stop lights when I am facing opposing traffic. But one time when I did, a BMW 6 series was opposite me in the left turn lane and his lights were blinding me as he was on a mild incline. He flashed me and I flashed him back and he waved (kinda saying “my bad”).

Basically, I’ve been dazzled by stock LED’s and HID’s from all makes, so in my experience in LA, everyone here is kinda used to bright lights. Only really low cars sport cars get a full dose in their review mirrors and head on. But with the proliferation of SUV’s, most don’t complain.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ittessor

ittessor

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU, 2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker, 2013 Chrysler 300S
Occupation
IT PRO
Vehicle Showcase
How has this worked out? It has been a few weeks, I would like to purchase these for my JLUS.
I agree with BeachNJeep and would like to add that I noticed any flashes I had gotten previously were because I had my fogs on. I live in a mostly rural area.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah without projectors. Meaning you’ll blind everyone on your path. :facepalm:
Not true. The quality LED bulbs are designed to have a sharp cutoff at the top of the beam and in the past 7 months of running them in halogen housings in a F-150 and a JL I haven't gotten flashed once.

There is no comparing this modification to OEM LEDs
I'd put my CrystaLux LED bulbs up against the Mopar kit any night of the week. Hundreds less money, same beam pattern, equal or better brightness.

NO51

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have the part numbers for the led tail lights without the sensors ? I’d like to add them to my sport.

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not true. The quality LED bulbs are designed to have a sharp cutoff at the top of the beam and in the past 7 months of running them in halogen housings in a F-150 and a JL I haven't gotten flashed once.

I'd put my CrystaLux LED bulbs up against the Mopar kit any night of the week. Hundreds less money, same beam pattern, equal or better brightness.

I'd still like to see a picture of the cutoff of the CrystaLux LEDs. I hope it's all true, I'd be happy to see a more affordable option that was indeed safe and reliable.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I'd still like to see a picture of the cutoff of the CrystaLux LEDs. I hope it's all true, I'd be happy to see a more affordable option that was indeed safe and reliable.
This is right after installation, before I adjusted the beams. Mine were set just a bit too high from the factory even with the halogen bulbs, so I adjusted them down just a tad. But you can see how sharp the cutoff is. If you look at the bulb, it's made with a tiny reflector over the low beam diode. This is what gives it the sharp cutoff. This is the main difference between these and the cheap eBay LEDs. On high beam, it lights the road up like a locomotive. Very impressive, and like I said zero flashes from oncoming traffic. $130 well spent.

LEDpattern.jpg

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I have discovered one issue with the LEDs.

In order to install them, you need to leave the dust cap off the back of the headlights. You are not supposed to tuck the ballast inside the headlight housing because that is the part that generates the most heat. So you need to leave it hanging outside the headlight housing. Well, that requires leaving the dust cap off. And, that has lead to me having spider webs (and a live spider) inside my headlight housing.

So, I will need to figure out some way to re-use the factory dust caps while making a provision for the LED wiring to run through them.

OP
OP
ittessor

ittessor

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT PRO
Vehicle Showcase
I have discovered one issue with the LEDs.

In order to install them, you need to leave the dust cap off the back of the headlights. You are not supposed to tuck the ballast inside the headlight housing because that is the part that generates the most heat. So you need to leave it hanging outside the headlight housing. Well, that requires leaving the dust cap off. And, that has lead to me having spider webs (and a live spider) inside my headlight housing.

So, I will need to figure out some way to re-use the factory dust caps while making a provision for the LED wiring to run through them.
You could drill a small hole to accommodate the wire gauge size. Then cut and splice the wire to pass through, leaving the ballast outside. A grommet or a little silicone could finish up sealing. Just a thought...

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Just making sure I understand. The two people that did this mod get flashed by oncoming traffic and they think it is not a big deal because it is just a few times.

OP
OP
ittessor

ittessor

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT PRO
Vehicle Showcase
Just making sure I understand. The two people that did this mod get flashed by oncoming traffic and they think it is not a big deal because it is just a few times.

10-4

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Did what mod? Halogen to LED in the stock housings? I guess you didn't count me in, because as I clearly explained I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic because I didn't use cheap eBay bulbs.
Sponsored