First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I don't think much of this question at all and would easily discuss that with my neighbor, in fact I have both my jeep and his Tesla as well as other cars we have had, I also asked him about an in-ground pool when we were putting that in to help gauge a fair price.

Maybe I'm just rude or it is a regional thing as it really doesn't seem like an odd question to me
I guess it matters how close you are with your neighbor...I got the nosey vibe, hence the title of the thread. đź––
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
sharing information is a hugely cultural thing; entirely OK in some, but strictly verboten in others.

personally, i'm comfortable with curiosity, and don't see it as "nosey".
if someone is curious enough to ask, i'll tell them the ballpark pricing (because there are HUGE variables), and if they're more curious i'll tell them the best way to get the best pricing i know of. hopefully they'd do the same for me.

OP
OP
Wbino

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
sharing information is a hugely cultural thing; entirely OK in some, but strictly verboten in others.

personally, i'm comfortable with curiosity, and don't see it as "nosey".
if someone is curious enough to ask, i'll tell them the ballpark pricing (because there are HUGE variables), and if they're more curious i'll tell them the best way to get the best pricing i know of. hopefully they'd do the same for me.
That’s actually the best way to answer it...”Depending on options...30 to 60k”.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
As a millennial I get asked that and how much I make a lot by boomers. It’s only asked for one reason. To Judge you. With this info they want to be able to assess a new purchase and say, he has enough, he can afford it or he doesn’t have enough, why is he spending that. It’s a control thing. I keep my income and expenses 100% private.
You absolutely should keep your financial stuff private and it’s nobody’s business how you spend your money. As a boomer I am amazed how many millennials put their private info and entire life activities on social media for all to see. It sounds like you are being wise. My perspective for what it’s worth - so what if somebody judges you - you can’t control other people anyway. Their problem, not yours. Life is too short to worry about the opinions of others - unless they are the opinions of those you value and trust.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I think it depends who ask. When I bought my M2 some coworkers ask how much it was, but we all work in the same profession, and talk about car costs all the time. It's the same way with friends.

A young stranger at the gas station, ask me how much it cost, and when I told him he seemed irritated. He told me I could have bought an M4 for that. I explained to him that after adding the options I had on my M2 the M4 would have cost a lot more. I don't really care for these types of conversations because it's ignorant, and comes off kind of rude. From my experience this is how it goes with total strangers.

No one has ask me the cost of my Jeep, but maybe that's because it's a lowly sport, LOL. They do compliment me on how it looks.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think it depends who ask. When I bought my M2 some coworkers ask how much it was, but we all work in the same profession, and talk about car costs all the time. It's the same way with friends.

A young stranger at the gas station, ask me how much it cost, and when I told him he seemed irritated. He told me I could have bought an M4 for that. I explained to him that after adding the options I had on my M2 the M4 would have cost a lot more. I don't really care for these types of conversations because it's ignorant, and comes off kind of rude. From my experience this is how it goes with total strangers.

No one has ask me the cost of my Jeep, but maybe that's because it's a lowly sport, LOL. They do compliment me on how it looks.
Beemers have been the brass ring vehicle of choice for many generations of engineers here in socal. When I was young and accelerating my income most of my peers were buying new cars. I sold my only decent car at the time, bought a Pinto and a Pitts biplane (an aerobatic airplane). Looking back, that was taking on a lot of risk. LOL

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If so, I there is something definitely wrong with the guys here.
As the comedian Ron White said, "once you see 1 pair of boobs.... you wanna see them all".

As for big tires, I see that when I look across the yard.

Jeep Wrangler JL Nosey neighbor.. vhydtgcscfa

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've been asked this question from several strangers over the last 2+ years of ownership. Half of them mentioned without pause after asking, that they miss having a wrangler and are wanting back in. They came across as genuine, so I state the price range from stripped down to fully loaded msrp, and tell them where I bought and the % i got below that price range. They were all happy for the info and a point in the right direction.

To the other half, I just mention the price range across the whole lineup of trims. I know it's a loaded question, and they're trying to be slick about their interest in the amount of my paycheck, so I'm never surprised by the inevitable "yeah but what did you pay?". That's when I try selling them on the "lifestyle", but politely. Not trying to be confrontational, just looking to chase them off by being an overly friendly chatty Cathy. Works like a charm.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I'm still stuck at "wife's bra size". It is the more interesting question and a great conversation starter. It's also a good indicator of how friendly a person might be.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I'm still stuck at "wife's bra size". It is the more interesting question and a great conversation starter. It's also a good indicator of how friendly a person might be.
Bahahaha ... and be prepared to duck as soon as you ask the question ... ROFLMFAO

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I was drinking heavily with a couple in New Orleans once poolside at a hotel, ten minute friends at best. He caught me looking and declared "you wanna hold them?", she was like "go ahead, its OK". Well, stupid question, three minutes later it was "ok, that's enough". Some people are friendlier than you'd expect.
Sponsored