Noob suspension question

redbear762

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi trading in for 2021 Rubi
Why do I see predominantly 2.5" lifts for the JL from most vendors? Is it a matter of platform maturity or is there something so different from the JK that a bigger lift is just mechanically impossible? (looking at you AEV!!)
Sponsored

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Why do I see predominantly 2.5" lifts for the JL from most vendors? Is it a matter of platform maturity or is there something so different from the JK that a bigger lift is just mechanically impossible? (looking at you AEV!!)
2.5 inch is enough to put 37s on a rubicon and 35s on everything else. Kits larger than this have to take a lot more into account (cable lengths and such) so most people aren't doing them.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
JL's start off taller than JK's and earlier generations, so lifts don't need to be as big to get the same effect. When my JLUR was bone stock, it was only an inch shorter than an acquaintances JK with a 4" lift and 35's. Now I'm on a 3.5" lift and 38's, and still have a tad more fender to tire clearance than his.
Jeep Wrangler JL Noob suspension question 20210216_135355

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you take a good look at JL, you will notice that the tires are quite large in relation to the size of the Jeep. This is one of the characteristics that make Wranglers look rugged, which attracts many people, and part of the reason they are so capable off-road. It is also one of the key reasons why Wranglers love to suck on gas...but I digress...

In any event, you can fit 33-inch tires on any Wrangler without a lift, and 35-inch tires on a Rubicon.

For reference, the most I could fit on my stock 2019 Tacoma TRD Offroad was 31-inches before the tires started rubbing.

Because of this, Wranglers donā€™t need much lift to fit large tires.

OP
OP

redbear762

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi trading in for 2021 Rubi
JL's start off taller than JK's and earlier generations, so lifts don't need to be as big to get the same effect. When my JLUR was bone stock, it was only an inch shorter than an acquaintances JK with a 4" lift and 35's. Now I'm on a 3.5" lift and 38's, and still have a tad more fender to tire clearance than his.
Which lift are you using for a 3.5?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
šŸ˜‚....donā€™t you love how a mad grille can turn even the best of friends, hell, even family, into acquaintances....šŸ¤£ ....sorry OP, donā€™t mean to derail.