(non) off-road shaming - why?

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Only if you don't know how to drive or ride. Every single vehicle from motorcycles to 18 wheeler highboy loaded with smoothbore tanks half full handle the twisty black ice and snow no issue. It's all in the throttle, braking, and steering.
I was a truck driver for 10 years and have driven all kinds of vehicles. Of course you can drive anything on the ice or snow but that in no way makes them equal. If they were tanks wouldn't have tracks they would just be rear wheel drive.
Sponsored

Last edited:

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Only if you don't know how to drive or ride. Every single vehicle from motorcycles to 18 wheeler highboy loaded with smoothbore tanks half full handle the twisty black ice and snow no issue. It's all in the throttle, braking, and steering.
Don't forget the ass. I apparently have a magical ass.

I was coming up on a huge sheet of black ice at a stop light. I saw it from a mile away. I decided once I got on that ice, I was going through the light, no matter what color it was. I carefully timed it so that I would get onto the ice with a good chance of a green light, and then somehow (I just don't remember where he came from) I ended up on the ice with a green pickup truck in front of me. Slowing. Slowing.

Shit. If I don't hit the brake, I'm going to rear end that guy. If I do hit the brake, I'm going to wipe out. Shit!

So I hit the brake. What I did next, I have no idea. I saw my trailer out of both side windows at different times. I did things, driving by my ass.

I got off the ice, and there were no wrecked cars in the ditches on either side of me. Hammer down. Just don't ask me to tell you what I did with the throttle, steering and brakes, because I haven't a clue. It was pure ass. Apparently my ass can drive!

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
About the same Unless you are talking about the affluent “ghetto” that is clearly behind the Jeeps in that thread……. Words matter

why use “ghetto” when what you wish to convey is that you don’t like rims? To me, it serves no purpose.

and, I do note that @OllieChristopher has responded to your post but didn’t bother to address my question about how he knew he was building vehicles in the 1990s in Atlanta for actual pimps involved in human trafficking. Hmmm…. Maybe he wasn’t and was just using the term to denigrate others that weren’t the same as him?
Is that a real post? I’m honestly asking.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Honestly, if you bought a JL and don't need the traction/suspension capabilities.... then I really question your vehicle choices as there are significantly better vehicles at significantly better prices.

I'm sure it won't be a popular opinion, but the modern JL is horrible compared to every other modern vehicle I've driven. It literally has one decent use case and that's being off the pavement.

I certainly don't want to shame or make anyone feel bad about their choices, so I'll likely just keep my mouth shut (who really cares about my opinion on the internet anyhow). If it's in a public forum I will point out the impracticalness in hopes of raising awareness, but not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Don't even get me started on the dealer/service network!
I think you are overlooking alot of the wranglers appeal.

The obvious one is the open air. Soft top it removal hard top with the freedom panels as well as easily removable door. Huge reason alone why many would get a Wrangler despite the other things it lacks. When people see others in convertibles it just looks fun, like that are enjoying their life. Doesn't matter if it's a Sebring or a Lambo.

Another is that it has a very different and distinct look. Before bronco created their version of the Wrangler, nothing else being sold looked like it. Everything else looks curvy and non descript.

Also the ability to customize and make it your own. Add accents, bumpers, steps/Rock rails, lighting.. ect. You can customize any vehicle, but the wranglers aftermarket makes it super easy.

People complain about the on road manners of the Wrangler but alot of people enjoy the rough ride. It's nice to feel like you are driving a rough rugged off roader even if you don't off road. It feels different and special. Sure a Toyota feels super smooth with ifs, but it I wanted to fall asleep from boredom while driving I'd have gotten a Tesla and used the auto pilot feature.

Another appealing aspect is the price. I know we complain about how expensive these things are now, but the only other boxy suv I like the looks of is the g wagon. I don't have that kind of loot! Even if I did the Wrangler still comes first in my book.

Which brings up the last point. Sometimes less is more. Simple can be more enjoyable than the complex. May have less features and outdated stuff, but also less to break and go wrong. Maybe less time will be spent adjusting this and that and fidgeting with things and now time just using the vehicle.

To each his own I say. I don't really care about the next person's reason for getting whatever vehicle they got. I also don't care why they bought the house they bought and in what neighborhood or why they eat wagyu steaks or avocado toast or expensive coffee. I may think it's silly for me, but it's not my life.

Sponsored

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
The hum of the tires on asphalt, the height, 4WD, removable top and doors, the grill; that is what I loved as a kid in my uncle’s Jeep. Also seeing my teacher’s red CJ5 that was never taken off road. I didn’t care then or now, it’s still a Jeep and I love to see how people mod them. Some mods are good, some bad, but I never criticize if the Jeep has never seen the Rockies, sand, swamp, etc.. All Jeeps are ok in my book. And I absolutely LOVE hopping over those parking curbs when necessary.

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Maybe after they bash their ride and a rock, they are forced to tell everybody that damage is cool, chicks dig scars, bad is good, and my beautiful blue rubi, isn’t cool cause it’s all shiny, clean, and has mega resell value.
I don't care if you off road or not, but just know that you can off road and clean your Jeep up and make it shiny, clean and still have resale value.

I love rocking a clean Jeep around town.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
I felt some degree of shame installing weather tech mud guards and keeping my factory side steps on, like a giant sign that said "I don't do off-road."

Then I just took the top off and said WGAS WGAF and rode on.
i just installed these same mudguards and not ashamed at all.. they come on and off very easily but i love the way they look and keep the rocks from chipping the paint..

Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? 1634644798349

Last edited:

Threedog

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (D)
But im technically an offroader.. cuz i offroad over medians all the time soooooo...

That's how my wife offroads, pulling up the driveway and running over the garden borders I set perfectly. I just quit fixing them, because they don't seem to stay in place when she drives.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget open air feel. I really want another motorcycle, was eyeballing the Harley Roadglide or Indian Challenger, both nice baggers. The drivers nowadays just do not give me a good feeling, especially being in a college town. Coming home from work I saw a beautiful Honda Goldwing smeared all over the side of the road with police standing over the body. I am a good rider but people just don't seem to pay attention to the road. Even in my car I've been almost forced off the road by trucks whose driver was looking at their phone. I'd rather have the frame protection of the jeep but still have the freedoms of going topless and/or door-less.

I also miss being able to hop a curb for a good parking spot lol. I will be taking it offroading, but probably not full on rock crawling.

This is so true.

I've had motorcycles most of my life, and had a Harley that I just sold this year. Wife and I quit riding because many of our fellow riding friends either sold their bikes, or moved. The traffic in SW Florida is horrible, there are no nice mountain roads to just go for a cruise. The closest I can get to that would be a drive out to the "country" which from my house is a 45-60 min ride to get outside of heavy traffic.

So I bought the Jeep with 2 main purposes. 1 was my hurricane kit. After Irma, I was unable to get to my mothers house to check on her dur to flooding and down trees. Ended up calling a buddy with a lifted truck. And the Jeep doubles as our open air (replaced motorcycle), take the top and doors off and go for a nice ride, better protection from the idiots distracted drivers.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I don't care if you off road or not, but just know that you can off road and clean your Jeep up and make it shiny, clean and still have resale value.

I love rocking a clean Jeep around town.
Indeed! I take excellent care of my rigs. Some guys I overland with brag about only washing theirs "once a year" and I'm thinking, "OK, cool, I guess?"

Overlanding Jeep. Clean-in-town Jeep.
giphy.gif

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
It is completely true and I see it mostly in the late 30 to early 40 something crowd when speaking with them. It seems they equate the more built up ones Jeep is the more their knowledge and experience (more like covering for lack of experience). I have been off roading for almost 40 years and have owned several Jeep’s, I no longer need to over build my Jeeps (haven’t for years now) to compensate for less driving experience and hence I am told almost every time I am out on the trails these days “oh you look like you’re new to this, you shouldn’t be on this trail” (which always puts a grin on my face) a statement based solely on the appearance of my Jeep.

They quickly learn that an experienced driver and a lightly modified Jeep (basic 2” puck lift & 35” tires) can easily keep up with their expensive built up Jeep while making it look easy.

Point is never judge a book by its cover. We all have different needs for our Jeep’s. Some like to off road them hard, some just easy scenic trails, some for getting through bad weather and some just because they have more character then a Tesla or Honda.

You be you and don’t waist any emotional energy on worrying about what other think of YOUR JEEP. After all they are not making the payments.

Here is my simple 2021 that for me gets the job done.
Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? giphy
Jeep Wrangler JL (non) off-road shaming - why? giphy
Great looking truck. Your front bumper: Is that the stock bumper made stubby with a bolt on brush bar? If bolt on, which one is it?

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
99% of the time the heavy off-road equipt ones are on pavement anyway.....i need mine for the crazy snow in winter i get....not to to go MOAB and roll it over climbing boulders on a sunday. My Street Jeep that drives smooth and quiet is fine with me!

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
That's how my wife offroads, pulling up the driveway and running over the garden borders I set perfectly. I just quit fixing them, because they don't seem to stay in place when she drives.
Youre being trained 🤣 we are sneaky like that...
Sponsored