Newbie question

wizardfitz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Had a cj7 moons ago. Wife just got 21 Willys. When my bike is paid off in 18 months it’s my turn. So I have been here and on fb trying to learn. What I’ve seen is when going larger tires
1. people can’t get above 60 mph
2. They need to regear
3. With all the lifts being put on are there any warranty denials?
in addition to other problems. What’s with the need to rehear and why no speed?
letting the flaming for my ignorance begin.
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Hello. I hope your wife enjoys her new ride.

Concerning not being able to reach 60 with bigger tires. THIS IS COMPLETELY INCORRECT!!

I have a ‘20 Sahara (2.0 Turbo) with 35’s. Did not re-gear. NO ISSUES AT ALL WITH SPEEDS OVER 60. Setting at near 30k miles. I would say that nearly 1/3 of those miles have been on the interstate. 70 - 80mph no problem.

I would go this route again in a heartbeat!!!!

Last edited:

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
35’s should work fine with a 2” lift-33’s fir fine with NO lift. I can’t imagine a new JL having issues running 60+ with 35 or even 37” tires. Lots of folks here are doing it and liking the results.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I will add one other item. As mentioned in my previous post, I do have a 2.0 with 35’s. I also have the 2” Mopar lift.

At nearly 30k miles I am setting at 24-25 mpg.
Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie question 660FD5E7-9BA7-46D0-A9CC-89F6649BF04A

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Where have you seen anyone have problems getting over 60? Sounds like my old 4 cylinder TJ maybe. This doesn’t happen on the JL.

You should regear to what feels right for you. The sport/Sahara stock gearing isn’t enough, especially for a manual transmission if you go that route (I wouldn’t).

Don’t worry about the warranty. You’re unlikely to ever have a warranty claim anyway.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have a 2-door Rubi (JLR) 3.6, 8 speed auto w/4.10 gears (standard on Rubis) and I have run 35" BFG KO2's from day 2 of ownership along with a Mopar+ 2" lift since about 1400 miles...Close to 12K miles now and while she runs fine, easily hits 85mph+, I rarely see 8th gear on the hi way... Also my longterm gas mileage is 16mpg. Just for the hell of it I tried driving like a tree-hugging grandma for a week (no fun at all!!) and barely hit 18mpg...I'm sure part of this is due to lots of very heavy mods including steel skid plates, aftermarket front and rear steel bumpers, 10,000 pound winch, heavy SteerSmarts steering, etc.

I am now in the process of upgrading to 37" KO2's, 4.88 gears, Borla cat-back exhaust and Livernois 91 octane tune. Looking forward to seeing performance improvements and possibly a little boost in mpg's.

OP
OP

wizardfitz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Where have you seen anyone have problems getting over 60? Sounds like my old 4 cylinder TJ maybe. This doesn’t happen on the JL.

You should regear to what feels right for you. The sport/Sahara stock gearing isn’t enough, especially for a manual transmission if you go that route (I wouldn’t).

Don’t worry about the warranty. You’re unlikely to ever have a warranty claim anyway.
Fb posts about people not getting to speed, having to rear.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
First of all don’t believe anything on Facebook.

there are a lot of factors so it just depends. Is it a manual or auto? What trim? What engine? What type of lift? What size tires?

then there is just driving style and preference. Some people throw 35s and a spacer lift on stock sport gears and love it. Someone else will say it’s unbearable without a re-gear.

my personal experience is i wouldn’t go above 33s and rubicon take-off suspension on my sport with stock gears. It’s a 3.6 manual.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
That’s utter nonsense, disregard those Facebook posts. The only jeep I ever had issues getting up to highway speed with was my old 1994 YJ with 3.07 gears, 35” tires, and a vacuum leak that made it bog when applying the throttle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Newbie question 66E6EE31-B71F-406B-A714-E26D1AD94D5F

OP
OP

wizardfitz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Ok so why are people re hearing? What is the purpose? On my old cj and f250 I did lifts and tires with no re gear and had no issues. So why are people who run larger tires with a lift all re gearing?

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Generally speaking, larger tires will make a vehicle feel more sluggish accelerating, driving uphill, towing, etc. Folks regear to compensate for that. Think of it like this... going to larger tires makes 1st gear act more like 2nd gear (not as extreme, but, you get the idea), so regearing can restore the factory gear ratios to make it drive "normal" again.

In some cases, folks go with more aggressive gears to increase torque for rock crawling/greater pulling power/drag racing, etc. Depending on how extreme the gearing, you could start to limit your top speed. If folks are claiming this is happening at 60mph on a JL, they're exaggerating or they have a really unconventional configuration.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Ok so why are people re hearing? What is the purpose? On my old cj and f250 I did lifts and tires with no re gear and had no issues. So why are people who run larger tires with a lift all re gearing?
Folks with larger tires are NOT “all regearing”! While “some” do, far more do not. Most folks with 35’s are happy as us, as are a lot with 37’s. If you had a Sport with 37’s you’ll find it a tad sluggish on acceleration, but trouble hitting 60? No way. Folks into serious rock crawling or muddying (I’m talking SERIOUS stuff) may choose to regear, however most folks are happy with what the factory put in. Be very wary of the armchair commando’s who say you’ve gotta lift it, put on 37’s or 40’s, and regear to take a Jeep off road. Jeeps were off-roading every trail in this country before monster tires and lifts even existed, and current models are the most capable stock Jeeps yet.
Sponsored