Newbie question- snow

n1976jmk

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited 4 Dr. Sahara, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I had a super newbie 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara owner question!

It’s snowing where I live today.

By default is the Jeep in 4 wheel drive? Or do I need to switch it to different gear from the second shifter? I.e. 2h or 2l?? Etc

Thanks and apologies for the newbie question!!
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Wrangler is RWD, you need to put it in 4hi on the transfer case handle to engage 4wd, 4hi is for slippery, 4low is your crawling gear, really only needed off road, 4low is under 20 mph. if you have selec trac then use auto 4hi, that is full time 4wd

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Like Chris said, if you have Select-Trac (on some Saharas, but no all), then you'll have a 5th option, called FT4WD. This essentially lets the Jeep automatically determine electronically if it needs 4-wheels at that moment. It's a cool feature. If you have that option, it would be safe to set-it-and-forget-it all winter.

If you don't have FT4WD, then you have a traditional transfer case (which is the same as what was offered on every other non-2018-Sahara in history). 4L is used exclusively when offroading. You'll know when you need it. Neutral is only for towing the Jeep (many owners never use it). 2H is RWD and is your default. 4H should be used ONLY when the roads are very slick - you never want to use it on dry pavement, or even slightly-slick pavement (like in a lighter rainstorm). But when there is a heavy downpour or snow on the roads, it's safe to use.

Do note that in 4H, if you are on a patch of dry pavement and try to make a sharp turn, you'll feel the Jeep "jumping". This is normal in a true 4x4, and the reason you should avoid driving it on dry pavement as much as possible. It won't destroy the Jeep to have it happen occasionally, but nothing you want to make a habit out of.

Sponsored

OP
OP
n1976jmk

n1976jmk

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited 4 Dr. Sahara, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Thanks!

Attached is my dealer info on Jeep. Doesn’t seem I have select trac.

When I switch the transfer case into 4H. Do I switch it while I’m in park or moving?

Thanks!

Attachments

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Jeep does not do themselves any favors in this area. There are too many options and then the sticker makes it more confusing by listing items and then later on the sheet says delete. I do not know how any get sold off the lot.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

This brings to mind the fact that this is going to be the first winter season for most of us owners... looking forward to hearing some weather related stories & maybe learn something new about the JL. Drive safe out there :rain:
Sponsored