Need help deciding on tires

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
I am having a hard time a making a tire choice, both the size and model...

2 door sport, billet silver, SoCal... I am getting Method roost wheels in black, and I don't go offroad much at all. I will be doing a mild lift 1-2".

Here is my 2016 JK with Method Roost wheels and Bridgstone Dueler... I liked the wheels so much, I'm doing it again! Lol. The tires were 285/70/17, but I want to go a little bigger this time.

d-R-Jeep-JK-Audio.jpg

I would like an A/T that looks rugged and Jeep-like, but isn't loud on the road.

What tires would you guys do??
Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I am a huge fan of BFG AT's. Their current version is the KO2 and I have ran several several sets without disappointment...I have had them on my previous Raptors, current Ram and just put 315/70R17 KO2's on my JLR. They handle great, are quite (you must rotate every 5000 miles) and track straight as an arrow on the highway. Off road, they are outstanding-especially in sand and on rocky trails, they are ok in mud for an AT (not as good as an MT of course) and the 2 times I had them in snow they were good. Hope this helps!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I am having a hard time a making a tire choice, both the size and model...

2 door sport, billet silver, SoCal... I am getting Method roost wheels in black, and I don't go offroad much at all. I will be doing a mild lift 1-2".

Here is my 2016 JK with Method Roost wheels and Bridgstone Dueler... I liked the wheels so much, I'm doing it again! Lol. The tires were 285/70/17, but I want to go a little bigger this time.

d-R-Jeep-JK-Audio.jpg

I would like an A/T that looks rugged and Jeep-like, but isn't loud on the road.

What tires would you guys do??
Here's mine w/ a mild Rubicon take-off suspension, 17x8.5+10 wheels and Milestar Patagonias 295/70/17s, been great so far (about 8500 miles on the tires). Patagonia MTs are more of a hybrid tire, not a full blown open lug MT, but more center contact of an AT tire. They balance very easily (according to the tire tech that installed mine), are pretty quiet for the more aggressive tread, and look real good IMO.

The Rubicon suspension is perfect for what I wanted~adequate clearance for the 33.3" tall tires, keeping factory Mopar parts, and no serious steering geometry changes. I also added the slightly longer Mopar lift LCAs to gain caster, my JL steers superb!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

Bone stock
100_4015.JPG

New wheels tires
100_4023.JPG

After Rubicon suspension swap
IMG_0253.JPG

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Here's mine w/ a mild Rubicon take-off suspension, 17x8.5+10 wheels and Milestar Patagonias 295/70/17s, been great so far (about 8500 miles on the tires). Patagonia MTs are more of a hybrid tire, not a full blown open lug MT, but more center contact of an AT tire. They balance very easily (according to the tire tech that installed mine), are pretty quiet for the more aggressive tread, and look real good IMO.

The Rubicon suspension is perfect for what I wanted~adequate clearance for the 33.3" tall tires, keeping factory Mopar parts, and no serious steering geometry changes. I also added the slightly longer Mopar lift LCAs to gain caster, my JL steers superb!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

Bone stock
100_4015.JPG

New wheels tires
100_4023.JPG

After Rubicon suspension swap
IMG_0253.JPG
We have identical Jeeps... Thanks for the info and pics! Interesting how you went about getting a mild lift using factory parts, as that is what I did in my JK, too. After lots of research I got taller, stiffer springs that were made for a heavier Jeep and then got Fox IFP shocks. The difference was a little over an inch of lift and MUCH better handling with the stiffer springs and better shocks...

I am a huge fan of BFG AT's. Their current version is the KO2 and I have ran several several sets without disappointment...I have had them on my previous Raptors, current Ram and just put 315/70R17 KO2's on my JLR. They handle great, are quite (you must rotate every 5000 miles) and track straight as an arrow on the highway. Off road, they are outstanding-especially in sand and on rocky trails, they are ok in mud for an AT (not as good as an MT of course) and the 2 times I had them in snow they were good. Hope this helps!
Thanks! I do see the KO2s mentioned a lot and I like the look of the 315/70/17s, though I am not sure if they are a little big for my purposes... The 285s are definitely too small, though, and options in the 295 and 305 range are somewhat limited...

I have also read a few times that they are one of the most quiet AT's:
https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/08/ask-tfl-what-is-the-quietest-pickup-truck-all-terrain-tire-poll/

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Try a 285/75r17 Nitto Ridge Grappler (load range c)

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Thanks! I love the looks of the Ridge Grappler's, but I would need a wider tire than the 285...

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I have on Fuel Shok wheels. They're great so far. Very pleased.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
When I purchased my Jeep it came with BFG 35x12.5R18 load range E K02’s. So far they have been great tires. Very little wear on them with 15,000 or so miles. I usually run 26 in the rear and 28-29 in the front.
67EBF3F8-A46E-45BD-B62C-028E5CEBCC2D.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Here is a couple pics of the 285/75 RG on a stock Rubicon suspension.
Man, that looks really good! The whole Jeep is awesome! I was thinking I wanted a much wider tire than the 285, but the way the RGs look on yours I don't think I do... That extra inch in height over the 70 fills up the wheel well a little more and the "knobby-ness" of the tire makes then appear wider than the Bridgstones on my JK.

The height and stance of yours is pretty much what I want my little sport to look like... I have even considered simply swapping suspension parts for oem Rubicon (springs, shocks, LCAs, etc..) to get that mild lift that I want.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Man, that looks really good! The whole Jeep is awesome! I was thinking I wanted a much wider tire than the 285, but the way the RGs look on yours I don't think I do... That extra inch in height over the 70 fills up the wheel well a little more and the "knobby-ness" of the tire makes then appear wider than the Bridgstones on my JK.

The height and stance of yours is pretty much what I want my little sport to look like... I have even considered simply swapping suspension parts for oem Rubicon (springs, shocks, LCAs, etc..) to get that mild lift that I want.
Only Rubi parts that are different are the shocks & springs (the end links, LCAs, sway bars are the same as your sport). The LCAs that I swapped are a 1/4" longer and come off the Mopar 2" lift kit. https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68322798aa.html

And ditto, @UKCATS JL looks perfecto!

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Only Rubi parts that are different are the shocks & springs (the end links, LCAs, sway bars are the same as your sport). The LCAs that I swapped are a 1/4" longer and come off the Mopar 2" lift kit. https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68322798aa.html

Thank you both for the compliment. I wished I would have left it like that. On a 2.5” lift and 37” Ridge Grapplers now.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Thank you both for the compliment. I wished I would have left it like that. On a 2.5” lift and 37” Ridge Grapplers now.
Oh shit! What do you not like about the lift and 37s compared to the previous set-up?

Great info, thanks! I'll probably do the Rubicon springs and Fox IFP shocks, then, for a little bit of a lift. I am assuming the Rubi springs should give me a firmer feel with their higher spring rate, right?

Regarding the tires, I am really beginning to think that I don't need/want as big as I started out thinking... It's really just mostly for looks, and keeping the size and weight down is definitely a good thing for the majority on-road driving I will be doing.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh shit! What do you not like about the lift and 37s compared to the previous set-up?.
Because honestly, this Jeep is my daily (75 miles a day), and my wheeling interests have changed. We enjoy wheeling the more scenic stuff now, less rock crawling. Stock would be fine for me now.
Sponsored