Sponsored

Need help deciding on tires

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Oh shit! What do you not like about the lift and 37s compared to the previous set-up?

Great info, thanks! I'll probably do the Rubicon springs and Fox IFP shocks, then, for a little bit of a lift. I am assuming the Rubi springs should give me a firmer feel with their higher spring rate, right?

Regarding the tires, I am really beginning to think that I don't need/want as big as I started out thinking... It's really just mostly for looks, and keeping the size and weight down is definitely a good thing for the majority on-road driving I will be doing.
Springs are just a bit firmer but since they have a longer travel the increase in firmness seems minimal to me. I think when the time comes to replace my 295/70s that 285/75 will be the ticket! That slightly taller and slightly narrower look just seems like the perfect match, and w/ my +10 offset wheels the tires won't be much outside the fender, which is what I'm after.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
So I have narrowed it down to either of these sizes:

285/75/17 or 295/70/17

The difference being approx .5" taller vs .5" wider respectively... I think the +.5" diameter will be noticeable from the side as it will fill the wheel well a hair more, but the +.5" width will look better from the front/back, because, well, wider is a good thing!

I have also narrowed it down to two tires/brands:

Nitto Ridge Grappler or BFG KO2

The KO2s seemed to have a few benefits - lower price, the most quiet (?) and 5 lbs lighter. The thing I like better about the Nitto's is looks... Should looks even matter in my considerations or am I being shallow?!?! Lol

Nitto-Ridge-Grappler-vs-Terra-Grappler-G2-TIRE-2-1024x683.jpg

89b9c59455694dc1968530f9dde6da5d.jpg

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
How much slower is the Jeep gonna feel with the bigger heavier tires? How big of a difference are you guys noticing??

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
How much slower is the Jeep gonna feel with the bigger heavier tires? How big of a difference are you guys noticing??
Not too bad regarding engine performance, the biggest downside for me is the braking, the stock pads are pretty weak regarding bite, and overall braking performance. I'm ready to try some new pads like the Powerstops, wish there were more options but not much out there for some reason.
Your 8th gear won't be used much if you have the AT, mine only kicks in on flat hwy cruising with no winds :(

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
I think I am leaning more toward the RGs, they do look really good on the wheels I am getting:

img_3195-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Is there a wheel/tire vendor on here I should contact for a good deal, maybe with a forum discount or something like that??

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Tires: BFG KO2's, 285/70R17
Wheels: 17 x 9 w/ +1 offset
1.5" Teraflex spacer lift

JL6.jpg
That looks REALLY good!! Did the spacer lift actually give you a full 1.5"?

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
That looks REALLY good!! Did the spacer lift actually give you a full 1.5"?
Yes and No. My JL sat level before the lift. The TeraFlex kit comes with 1" front spacer and 1.5" rear spacer. When I installed the original kit, it lifted the front 1" and the rear 1.5". I did not like the look of the lower front. TeraFlex claims the 2 door JL sits high in the front, but mine sat level. So, I added an additional 1/2" spacer to the front (TeraFlex spacers can be stacked). I now have a true 1.5" level lift. All corners lifted 1.5".

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Like my KO’2 but the are rock magnets. I’m trying the KM3

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
They're on order with DT... Went with Method Roost wheels (of course) and Nitto RGs 285/75/17 C rated. Thanks for everyone's help!

They'll look just like these:

img_3198-jpg.jpg

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
Is there a wheel/tire vendor on here I should contact for a good deal, maybe with a forum discount or something like that??
I got 315/70/r17 Patagonias with Icon Rebounds for $1895 which can't be beat anywhere. The shop has a deal going on right now but they might be able to get you discount with something else.
However, when I asked about the Nittos with the same Wheels, the price jumped to over $2500.

I noticed you're in SoCal. The shop is in Montclair. Its called brothers 4x4

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 9.12.28 PM.png