First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to decide on a brand for my upgrade that is coming this spring / summer.

I am adding a Rock Kralwer 2.5 inch no limits lift to my JLUR.

My wheels will be 17x9 4.53 backspacing DirtyLife DT 1. I will not be running the beadlock function to start. For those that dont know, these wheels can be simulated beadlock or actual beadlock which is why I chose them.

My JLUR is my daily driver and I am new to wheeling but hoping once I have my lift and winch in place, I will get to start going a lot more.

I was originally going to go with Milestars as they seem more affordable. I have started to second guess this as I see so many running Nittos.

Are the Nittos really worth the extra money?

Do the Milestars have big downsides for the smaller pricetag?

Are there other brands I should be considering?

Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not running 37's but I have 35's in the Patagonia's. I haven't had any issues with them, they perform well just wear fast. I went with the Pat's knowing that I would eventually step up. My only thoughts on the Nitto is its a lot heavier then other brands.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Running 37's on my 2018.

I started with the 37 Pat MT's and wouldn't use them again if it were a daily driver. I might use them for a trail only rig ONLY in dry conditions. They balanced well, but needed re-balancing every 3-4k miles. Mine wore pretty fast, especially initially. For the first 7-8K miles, I had them underinflated. They are designed to be run on the crown of the tread, so if you do a chalk test to determine optimum psi, you will be underinflated. Once I aired them up to 35psi (which is somewhere in the ball park for Patagonia's reccomendation), they wore well but the damage was done (meaning short life span). They worked well for me in the rain and snow (although not confidence inspiring like an AT would be) and when off roading - as long as it was dry. If the rocks were wet or there was mud, they tend to spin A LOT. The big pluses are: light weight and low price. I was always worried about slicing/puncturing a sidewall when in the rocks, but never had it happen.

My next (and current set) are the Nitto Trail Grapplers. They're much more expensive and heavier. But they balanced better (both static and road force) than any mud terrain tire I've ever owned 33" and larger (KM2's, Toyo MT's, and Hankook MT's), plus as well or very close to AT's. They are smooth riding, respond well to chalk testing, wear evenly, and haven't caused any steering/handling issues. They handle good in the rain and ok on snow covered roads. My 17 yr old son drives the Jeep daily and hasn't wrecked it despite a few mountain snow storms, so.....they can't be that bad in snow! But once I put them on, I could definitely tell they were HEAVY compared to the Pats. With the Pats, I really didn't feel the need to re-gear (2.0T with auto trans and 4.10 gears). With the Nittos, the need to re-gear is pretty high.

This is my first set of Nitto tires and I've been impressed. The main reason I went with them was for sidewall strength, construction, and tread pattern.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to decide on a brand for my upgrade that is coming this spring / summer.

I am adding a Rock Kralwer 2.5 inch no limits lift to my JLUR.

My wheels will be 17x9 4.53 backspacing DirtyLife DT 1. I will not be running the beadlock function to start. For those that dont know, these wheels can be simulated beadlock or actual beadlock which is why I chose them.

My JLUR is my daily driver and I am new to wheeling but hoping once I have my lift and winch in place, I will get to start going a lot more.

I was originally going to go with Milestars as they seem more affordable. I have started to second guess this as I see so many running Nittos.

Are the Nittos really worth the extra money?

Do the Milestars have big downsides for the smaller pricetag?

Are there other brands I should be considering?

Thank you for any advice.
Cooper STT Pro would be a great choice, most of the Mickey Thompsons as well. Only real downside to the Nittos is their weight, and since you're in Colorado I'd at least consider a M+S tire and even better, a 3peak snow rated. The 3 peak snows typically aren't as aggressive as a dedicated Mud tire, but still some great options like the Goodyear Duratrac (not sure if they have a 37 though) and the upcoming Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. I know I keep pimpin' that tire, but it's going to be the newest one out there so it should be top of the heap!

FWIW I currently run Milestar Patagonias, they're ok, and for the price they are a decent value, but I'm spending more on my next set. An average performing tire that gets 25k miles isn't a great deal vs. a tire that costs 30% more but lasts twice as long and performs better every mile it's on your Jeep :)

OP
OP
Datjeeptho

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Running 37's on my 2018.

I started with the 37 Pat MT's and wouldn't use them again if it were a daily driver. I might use them for a trail only rig ONLY in dry conditions. They balanced well, but needed re-balancing every 3-4k miles. Mine wore pretty fast, especially initially. For the first 7-8K miles, I had them underinflated. They are designed to be run on the crown of the tread, so if you do a chalk test to determine optimum psi, you will be underinflated. Once I aired them up to 35psi (which is somewhere in the ball park for Patagonia's reccomendation), they wore well but the damage was done (meaning short life span). They worked well for me in the rain and snow (although not confidence inspiring like an AT would be) and when off roading - as long as it was dry. If the rocks were wet or there was mud, they tend to spin A LOT. The big pluses are: light weight and low price. I was always worried about slicing/puncturing a sidewall when in the rocks, but never had it happen.

My next (and current set) are the Nitto Trail Grapplers. They're much more expensive and heavier. But they balanced better (both static and road force) than any mud terrain tire I've ever owned 33" and larger (KM2's, Toyo MT's, and Hankook MT's), plus as well or very close to AT's. They are smooth riding, respond well to chalk testing, wear evenly, and haven't caused any steering/handling issues. They handle good in the rain and ok on snow covered roads. My 17 yr old son drives the Jeep daily and hasn't wrecked it despite a few mountain snow storms, so.....they can't be that bad in snow! But once I put them on, I could definitely tell they were HEAVY compared to the Pats. With the Pats, I really didn't feel the need to re-gear (2.0T with auto trans and 4.10 gears). With the Nittos, the need to re-gear is pretty high.

This is my first set of Nitto tires and I've been impressed. The main reason I went with them was for sidewall strength, construction, and tread pattern.
I definitely do not want to re gear so that might rule out the Nittos. I have heard great things about them so that kinda stinks. I have the 2.0 Turbo as well with the stock 4.10s so this was really great feedback.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Datjeeptho

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Cooper STT Pro would be a great choice, most of the Mickey Thompsons as well. Only real downside to the Nittos is their weight, and since you're in Colorado I'd at least consider a M+S tire and even better, a 3peak snow rated. The 3 peak snows typically aren't as aggressive as a dedicated Mud tire, but still some great options like the Goodyear Duratrac (not sure if they have a 37 though) and the upcoming Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. I know I keep pimpin' that tire, but it's going to be the newest one out there so it should be top of the heap!

FWIW I currently run Milestar Patagonias, they're ok, and for the price they are a decent value, but I'm spending more on my next set. An average performing tire that gets 25k miles isn't a great deal vs. a tire that costs 30% more but lasts twice as long and performs better every mile it's on your Jeep :)
Those Baja Boss are more expensive than the Nittos but they do look like a solid tire from what I can tell.
Might be an option if I could get a deal on them.

I am not super concerned about the snow here in CO. The stock tires have done decent enough and it really does not snow here as much as people think and I dont know how much snow wheeling I will do but I will keep that in the back of my mind for sure.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Those Baja Boss are more expensive than the Nittos but they do look like a solid tire from what I can tell.
Might be an option if I could get a deal on them.

I am not super concerned about the snow here in CO. The stock tires have done decent enough and it really does not snow here as much as people think and I dont know how much snow wheeling I will do but I will keep that in the back of my mind for sure.
Actually the Baja Boss ATs (not the MTs) that I linked aren't on the market yet, they'll be released next month, so if you don't need tires until then I'd wait to see exactly what they end up being. FWIW Mickeys are typically the best tires out there, a notch above the Nittos IMO, hence the premium pricing :)

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
second, Cooper STT Pro's
Any comparison with the STT Pro's to the ST MAXX? I Know the ST MAXX's are a hybrid mud/at, but they were my first tire of the sort. They were awesome the first 10k, then they got real loud real quick, didn't mind that that much, but I wasn't pleased with the wet traction. Trying to make the same decision as OP. Any feedback apricated.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any comparison with the STT Pro's to the ST MAXX? I Know the ST MAXX's are a hybrid mud/at, but they were my first tire of the sort. They were awesome the first 10k, then they got real loud real quick, didn't mind that that much, but I wasn't pleased with the wet traction. Trying to make the same decision as OP. Any feedback apricated.
Click on each link and go to the "features" line, you'll see how they compare w/ each other, the Wet & Dry Performance are tops w/ the STT Pro and a bit less w/ the ST Maxx, and the ST Maxx weigh a bit more. I've heard reports of 50k mile tread life w/ both tires, so for the aggressive tread that's pretty amazing. And FWIW the STT Pros aren't a super-heavy tire for being E-rated w/ such deep tread so another interesting note :)
https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-stt-pro
https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-s-t-maxx

OP
OP
Datjeeptho

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Running 37's on my 2018.

Just thinking about this again, do you think you noticed the difference because they were so much heavier than the Pats? Should I be looking for about a 75lb tire?

The jump to 37s will make a big difference as well but I had read that the 2.0L Turbo drastically reduced the need to regear for 37s.

The last thing I want is to get all of this put together and have it feel awful to drive. At the same time, I would like quality parts which was a huge reason I went with Rock Krawler for my lift.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just thinking about this again, do you think you noticed the difference because they were so much heavier than the Pats? Should I be looking for about a 75lb tire?

The jump to 37s will make a big difference as well but I had read that the 2.0L Turbo drastically reduced the need to regear for 37s.

The last thing I want is to get all of this put together and have it feel awful to drive. At the same time, I would like quality parts which was a huge reason I went with Rock Krawler for my lift.
You’ll have a trade off with whatever you go with. A lighter tire can definitely reduce the need to re-gear. But the lighter weight is due to a lighter carcass, thinner sidewalls, reduced tread depth, etc. Since the tires are the only part of he vehicle in contact with the road, they are a very important component.
I’m not a fan of compromising, especially when it comes to my Jeeps. I was already planning on a re-gear this summer and I don’t regret going with the Nitto TGs. The only other tire I was considering and would’ve been happy with, is the Cooper STT Pros. Ultimately, my son wanted the Nittos and that’s what we went with.
Rock Krawler makes great components and you won’t be disappointed. If you haven’t already, consider replacing your stock tie rod and drag link with something stronger. 37’s will accelerate wear on the stock parts.
Sponsored