First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Very curious on the stake setup.
Pound in at and angle and that's it?

That's literally all you have to do. The area I tested was just sand/gravel, being a dry creek bed and all. If it did that good in sand and gravel, I can't imagine how strong it will be when you pound it into solid earth.

I just went out to the garage and measured the stake to see how deep I drove it into the earth and it was only 14" (not 16" like I originally thought). My stake is 36" long, so I easily could have driven it deeper if needed.

I have to give thanks to my dad for the idea. He uses stakes for his wench on his side-by-side. I told him they would never work on a Jeep, to much weight. He said, "bull shit". As usual, he was right. LOL.
Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Damn, never thought of staking a wench to my side by side. Pretty sure there is some stupid law against that sort of thing though.

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Tested the winch today up in the mountains. I wasn't stuck, just picked a spot and wanted to see how it would pull. The pic doesnt do it justice, I pulled the Jeep for about 70' and over two rocks and thru a couple of crusted snow drifts. Winch did awesome.

Even with the new winch set up, I hit a spot on the trail where the snow drifts were about 3 feet deep. Figured winch or no winch, time to turn around. Cant use a winch to drive me thru miles of that crap. LOL.

My dad built me the blue stake, its 3' long and sharpened at the tip. A lot of the country around here is tree less. Sage brush flats, desert canyons, that sort of stuff.

He uses metal stakes on his side by side winch. We are not sure if ithis type of set up will will work or not on a Jeep. I plan on doing some test in the near future. The soil here in the Rocky Mountain Region is very, very rocky, hence the name.

I'm hoping once I can find a spot on the ground to drive the stake, it will be strong enough to support the weight of the Jeep. Even driving a tent peg around here can be a chore. The rocky soil should provide enough support to pull the Jeep. This is my hope at least.

6322CF0E-100F-4055-9504-83498ED9B57A.jpeg

8E5114AF-7E8C-4192-8AA9-FFF8486412FE.jpeg

95FB23A0-C5A8-42C4-B7A9-0D6DAA34F143.jpeg
A long time ago I read in a random 4x4 magazines tips and tricks section and It mentioned getting an old axle shaft, sharping the end like that stake and drive that into the ground at an angle. You may be able to find an old one at the salvage yard and rig something up. I know with the axle shaft it will have that flat section where the studs go to prevent the strap from sliding off during the winch pull.

OP
OP
basinite

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Damn, never thought of staking a wench to my side by side. Pretty sure there is some stupid law against that sort of thing though.
Oops. I'll chalk that one off to "not enough coffee". :LOL::LOL::LOL:

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Tested the winch today up in the mountains. I wasn't stuck, just picked a spot and wanted to see how it would pull. The pic doesnt do it justice, I pulled the Jeep for about 70' and over two rocks and thru a couple of crusted snow drifts. Winch did awesome.

Even with the new winch set up, I hit a spot on the trail where the snow drifts were about 3 feet deep. Figured winch or no winch, time to turn around. Cant use a winch to drive me thru miles of that crap. LOL.

My dad built me the blue stake, its 3' long and sharpened at the tip. A lot of the country around here is tree less. Sage brush flats, desert canyons, that sort of stuff.

He uses metal stakes on his side by side winch. We are not sure if ithis type of set up will will work or not on a Jeep. I plan on doing some test in the near future. The soil here in the Rocky Mountain Region is very, very rocky, hence the name.

I'm hoping once I can find a spot on the ground to drive the stake, it will be strong enough to support the weight of the Jeep. Even driving a tent peg around here can be a chore. The rocky soil should provide enough support to pull the Jeep. This is my hope at least.

6322CF0E-100F-4055-9504-83498ED9B57A.jpeg

8E5114AF-7E8C-4192-8AA9-FFF8486412FE.jpeg

95FB23A0-C5A8-42C4-B7A9-0D6DAA34F143.jpeg

Be very careful using a steel spike...Years ago I came upon a stuck pickup with a long shaft of 1" rebar impaled in the radiator and the winch strap still attached to it! We looked around and down the trail for a while but did not see anyone, next day on our return trip the truck was gone. I'm pretty sure someone needed a change of undies when their rebar stake became a missile...

OP
OP
basinite

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Be very careful using a steel spike...Years ago I came upon a stuck pickup with a long shaft of 1" rebar impaled in the radiator and the winch strap still attached to it! We looked around and down the trail for a while but did not see anyone, next day on our return trip the truck was gone. I'm pretty sure someone needed a change of undies when their rebar stake became a missile...
Ouch!!! I'll most definitely keep this in mind. I bet that guy shit his pants, I know I would have. My plan is to stay behind the spike if I have to use it (I have a winch with a remote). This way I can closely monitor it and put a stop to the winching, if it looks like its going to give.
Sponsored