My Criswell Experience

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
In March we decided to factory order a new Wrangler. The best offers at the time via the forum were 8% off invoice. We choose to work with Criswell as the DC area is easy to get to and the original plan on delivery was to enjoy a long weekend in DC and then take the auto train back to FL. Covid thru a wrench into that plan.

The Good: Worked with Patrick Mantua (240) 364-7335. Sent him my build and he quickly replied with deal sheet which showed the List Pricing, Invoice Pricing and an 8% discount off the invoice price broken down as follows: 5% forum discount, 1% affiliate discount - Tread Lightly in my case, and 2% for financing through the dealer. In addition to tax and license, Criswell (at that time) charged a $300 dealer fee and $119 for wheel locks. This all seemed reasonable and we submitted a $1,000 non-refundable deposit and confirmed our order on March 16th. Due to the Covid factory shutdown, the build was much delayed and we finally took delivery on July 11th.

The Mickey Mouse: Mandatory wheel locks for $119 - just stupid. Financing first offer was 4.6% (our credit scores are 840+) darn near walked out. Second offer was 3.99% which is still .75 points above what my own banks would charge. Now this is where they have you a bit. If you take the Zero factory financing, pay cash, or bring your own financing, you lose the 2% discount. Still ticks me off but since it's a simple interest contract with no prepayment penalty, I'll just pay it off and keep the discount. Finally a few other mickey mouse fees $20 for temp tags, $20 electronic registration and $100 title tax in addition to my states sales tax and registration fees and I was out the door.

In summary: Patrick was great to work with and It was still a much better deal than I could have got locally. Before I agreed to the order, I offered my three local dealers an opportunity to match it and they all passed. While Covid and riots changed up our plans for a weekend in DC and the auto train, we did spend a couple of wonderful days driving Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway home to Florida.

Note: It was mentioned that they have increased their dealer fee to $500 so be sure you understand all the fees in determining if it makes sense for you.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Criswell Experience IMG_1760
Sponsored

Last edited:

MotoMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD Granite Crystal Metallic
In March we decided to factory order a new Wrangler. The best offers at the time via the forum were 8% off invoice. We choose to work with Criswell as the DC area is easy to get to and the original plan on delivery was to enjoy a long weekend in DC and then take the auto train back to FL. Covid thru a wrench into that plan.

The Good: Worked with Patrick Mantua (240) 364-7335. Sent him my build and he quickly replied with deal sheet which showed the List Pricing, Invoice Pricing and an 8% discount off the invoice price broken down as follows: 5% forum discount, 1% affiliate discount - Tread Lightly in my case, and 2% for financing through the dealer. In addition to tax and license, Criswell (at that time) charged a $300 dealer fee and $119 for wheel locks. This all seemed reasonable and we submitted a $1,000 non-refundable deposit and confirmed our order on March 16th. Due to the Covid factory shutdown, the build was much delayed and we finally took delivery on July 11th.

The Mickey Mouse: Mandatory wheel locks for $119 - just stupid. Financing first offer was 4.6% (our credit scores are 840+) darn near walked out. Second offer was 3.99% which is still .75 points above what my own banks would charge. Now this is where they have you a bit. If you take the Zero factory financing, pay cash, or bring your own financing, you loose the 2% discount. Still ticks me off but since it's a simple interest contract with no prepayment penalty, I'll just pay it off and keep the discount. Finally a few other mickey mouse fees $20 for temp tags, $20 electronic registration and $100 title tax in addition to my states sales tax and registration fees and I was out the door.

In summary: Patrick was great to work with and It was still a much better deal than I could have got locally. Before I agreed to the order, I offered my three local dealers an opportunity to match it and they all passed. While Covid and riots changed up our plans for a weekend in DC and the auto train, we did spend a couple of wonderful days driving Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway home to Florida.

Note: It was mentioned that they have increased their dealer fee to $500 so be sure you understand all the fees in determining if it makes sense for you.

IMG_1760.jpeg
I can confirm that the dealer fee has gone up to $500. Since I already had an accepted quote and deposit paid on a 2020, they credited me the $200 difference on my 2021 deal. I plan to do the same with regard to their financing, take the 2% and then payoff the loan.

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
So if you bring you own financing you can only get a max 6% below invoice? Have they always done that? I thought I had seen deals before where people brought their own financing and still got the 8% under invoice.

I'm hoping to order soon and was going to finance through my Credit Union.

OP
OP

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I can only speak to my experience. The 2% discount I was offered was for the dealer arranging financing so if I had brought my own, I would not have received that discount.

So if you bring you own financing you can only get a max 6% below invoice? Have they always done that? I thought I had seen deals before where people brought their own financing and still got the 8% under invoice.

starzbullies

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Retired

That's new this year. I purchased a JLUR last year in August and you got 8% with the Affiliates Rewards or Tread Lightly. You did not have to use their financing.

Sponsored

srs148

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR, 2014 Jeep GC Summit

The discount has decreased from 8% to 7% max, so if you bring your own financing, you can only get a max 5% discount under invoice. I'm also planning to use their financier and then flip the loan as soon as possible. I ordered last week and my sales guy is Leon Travis - great dealing with him thus far - he knows his shit!

EDIT - my guess is that as the 2021 inventory begins to roll in and the national dealer inventory returns to normal, the discount will also go back to 8% and they may even drop or reduce the in-house financing requirement. But right now, most dealers have you by the balls since inventory is limited everywhere.

starzbullies

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Retired
The Mickey Mouse: Mandatory wheel locks for $119 - just stupid. Financing first offer was 4.6% (our credit scores are 840+) darn near walked out. Second offer was 3.99% which is still .75 points above what my own banks would charge. Now this is where they have you a bit. If you take the Zero factory financing, pay cash, or bring your own financing, you lose the 2% discount. Still ticks me off but since it's a simple interest contract with no prepayment penalty, I'll just pay it off and keep the discount.
Thanks for your insight as to what to expect from their financing dept. Much appreciated! :like:

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They sound shady to me with their required fees, financing, extras. Ask them about the order for a customer that waited months to get it then they sold it to someone else when it came in, assume for more money. The sales manager came on the forum fumbling with excuses but would not say the procedures they had in place or will have in place to prevent this happening again.
They sucker you in with supposed low price but then hope you don't know what you are doing and get more from you.

JMon

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Altitude (arriving soon)
They sound shady to me with their required fees, financing, extras. Ask them about the order for a customer that waited months to get it then they sold it to someone else when it came in, assume for more money. The sales manager came on the forum fumbling with excuses but would not say the procedures they had in place or will have in place to prevent this happening again.
They sucker you in with supposed low price but then hope you don't know what you are doing and get more from you.
After reading that thread you’re mentioning back in June, I switched over to Koons who didn’t require financing thru them. I got 7.5% under invoice which included the affiliate discount. Processing was $799. The extra .5% wasn’t worth the requirement to finance through them even though I’m willing to hear them out when we get to that point.

OP
OP

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
After reading that thread you’re mentioning back in June, I switched over to Koons who didn’t require financing thru them. I got 7.5% under invoice which included the affiliate discount. Processing was $799. The extra .5% wasn’t worth the requirement to finance through them even though I’m willing to hear them out when we get to that point.

The $799 dealer fee turned me off from them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Different dealer models I suspect. We bought a Toyota in Minnesota a couple of months ago. Dealer fees are capped @$100 there with no extra fees for anything. They didn't even collect sales tax and registration from me. They simply sent the package to my county and I showed up and paid that directly. One of the simplest car transactions I have ever had.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Only fee from my local dealer was $299 doc fee. Great dealership, maybe could have saved $500 at distant dealer but not worth it with the great support I get here with service and parts department. Plus didn't have to possibly damage my engine/transmission by not following break-in speed restrictions.

OP
OP

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Only fee from my local dealer was $299 doc fee. Great dealership, maybe could have saved $500 at distant dealer but not worth it with the great support I get here with service and parts department. Plus didn't have to possibly damage my engine/transmission by not following break-in speed restrictions.
If my local dealers were even close to the price, I would have purchased from them. They are good dealers and will still get my service business which is worth more to them anyway. Possible engine/transmission damage? That's a hoot. Modern cars/motorcycles do not need to be babied. Drive em like you stole em. I buy out of state because I refuse to pay the high FL dealer fees and have always saved enough on the deal to pay for the adventure.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Those silly engineers that designed them and the service advisors that have to put up with customers that damage their vehicles not following mfg. warnings are just being silly because Joe Blow knows more than they do. Will it happen to every vehicle - no, but it is a stupid risk that could cost you more than you saved.
And dealers don't make much on warranty work.

OP
OP

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Those silly engineers that designed them and the service advisors that have to put up with customers that damage their vehicles not following mfg. warnings are just being silly because Joe Blow knows more than they do. Will it happen to every vehicle - no, but it is a stupid risk that could cost you more than you saved.
And dealers don't make much on warranty work.
If it is so damn delicate, I will dump it and get something else. No big deal. What’s your next piece of sage advice, buy the extended warranty I suppose?
Sponsored