Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
It says the two passengers were buckled in inside the vehicle. Either way so sad. I read it happened right at this point on Camp Bird Road.

5C6BE3B4-56F9-44A9-B5F8-E3CBE119D24A.jpeg

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Tragic. But many people see others going over these passes on YouTube and Instagram, and don't grasp the seriousness of the task involved.

Whenever I get on a well-used trail, unfortunately I get to see too many drivers with their own ideas of what is acceptable off-road etiquette and behavior.

At this rate, these Colorado passes will get permanently shut down before I get to be on any of them.

Last edited:

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Tragic. But many people see others going over these passes on YouTube and Instagram, and don't grasp the seriousness of the risk that is involved.

At this rate, these Colorado passes will get permanently shut down before I get to be on them.
Yeah. But this one makes you wonder if maybe the driver may of had a medical issue or something. He’s older…report says it seems he drifted off the side of the road and over the cliff. He was a driver for a jeep tour company, and from Ouray, so I’m sure really familiar with these roads.
just sad to hear. It does seem many more accidents happening this year compared to recent.

Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Yeah. But this one makes you wonder if maybe the driver may of had a medical issue or something. He’s older…report says it seems he drifted off the side of the road and over the cliff. He was a driver for a jeep tour company, and from Ouray, so I’m sure really familiar with these roads.
just sad to hear. It does seem many more accidents happening this year compared to recent.
Yeah thats a really wide road, not exactly threading the needle. +1 vote for medical issue.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
This was my first thought as well - a medical issue, but just speculation. I'm heading up there this weekend and this is sobering - but not deterring. Regarding increased frequency I'm betting it has to do with the perils accompanying increased traffic with inexperienced drivers on narrow, dangerous roads. Heart goes out to the families... that has to be so difficult.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Or a tire failure, or evading another vehicle. It's all speculation at this point.

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport 2-Door, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lead Pastor, County Projects Coordinator, and Former 88N10 in US Army
The corner on that trail there is wide enough for almost three vehicles. This had to have been either a medical emergency or someone was too busy rubber-necking and not paying attention to their surroundings. A little more than a handful of the trails in CO are truly worthy of difficult or severe ratings, but even though they are on the easier side, shelf roads will kill you in a split second if you aren't paying attention.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Requiescant in pace.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Happened on Camp Bird Road (backside of Imogene Pass coming into Ouray).

I’m wondering if it was one of those tours where the customers are sitting in the pickup bed of a Gladiator.

https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/three-die-in-jeep-rollover-near-ouray/
The map linked in the page shows the incident was 3.1 miles from Ouray, which is not quite to the Imogene turn-off. These maps are from google maps. Covered by the bubble is Thistledown Campground.

Jeep Wrangler JL Multiple Fatality Rollover in Gladiator - Near Ouray Accident Site

Second map shows a close-up of terrain approximately 3.1 miles from Ouray.
Jeep Wrangler JL Multiple Fatality Rollover in Gladiator - Near Ouray Accident Site-Close U

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I saw this news yesterday. I was there just last Tuesday. It’s very sobering. We stayed directly across the street from this tour operator. A few thoughts.

The area where this occurred is NOT a 4WD Jeep trail, I t’s a relatively well maintained county dirt/gravel road that leads to Imogene and Yankee Boy basin. There aren’t guardrails here, but the road is wide enough as as not to be hazardous, opposing traffic can easily pass there with plenty of room. The area where it happened is known as “Drinking Cup” and is a popular photo op spot where people sometimes park very close to the cliff’s edge. In all of the wheeling we did in the area, the only thing that was particularly treacherous (other than The Wall on Poughkeepsie Gulch) was narrow roads/trails with close proximity to huge cliff drop offs.

Please be careful out there, and if in doubt use a spotter and go slow.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This was my first thought as well - a medical issue, but just speculation. I'm heading up there this weekend and this is sobering - but not deterring. Regarding increased frequency I'm betting it has to do with the perils accompanying increased traffic with inexperienced drivers on narrow, dangerous roads. Heart goes out to the families... that has to be so difficult.
Agreed. Whatever happened it was an accident.
So many more people have been hitting the trails—many who are inexperienced and/or reckless. We’ve all seen it places. Look at Yellowstone—do people really have to be told not to try to pet the bison or get a selfie? Grand Canyon & horseshoe bend—people fall over edge for the perfect picture 🤦‍♀️
Heart goes out to all the families.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase