Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks to @Jimac for the inspiration here. While Jimac modified a Dynomax delete pipe (I believe), I opted to sort of start from scratch. I've been running a Dynomax delete but the goal here was to just slightly mitigate the drone. The irony is that I've been running it long enough I honestly no longer notice the drone, but I decided to proceed with this project for fun.

Before I scrapped my stock muffler I cut off the inlet pipe. Then I grabbed a 12" Cherry Bomb from Amazon. I actually paid $20 via AWD (Amazon Warehouse Deals). For the turn down at the end I sourced a Nickson 45 elbow at O'Reilly and cut it up. You can buy proper turn downs but they're surprisingly expensive and this Nickson 45 was sub-$7.

Cherry Bomb via Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cherry-Bomb-87522-Glasspack-Muffler/dp/B003E5P7EW

Nickson 45:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...720295382/nickson-exhaust-pipe/548755/4538077

One advantage of a proper delete pipe is that it steps to the drivers side slightly, making room for the trailer wiring. My concoction is more straight back and wanted to interfere, but I simply relocated the trailer plugs (I've seen other users do this, too). I utilized one of the existing hitch bolts and then created a second hole of my own.

I was concerned about welding directly to the body of the glasspack for fear of potentially accelerating the eventual demise of the packing, so I opted to "bridge" over for my exhaust hanger. The portion of my hanger which engages the rubber hanger at the frame is a 1/2" button head cap screw with the head turned down.

IMG_20200628_103758337.jpg

IMG_20200628_105745196.jpg

IMG_20200628_105720289.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
D60

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Finally had time to drive it....with all the windows up there's still definitely a drone. Is it better? Yeah, probably a little. Like I said, I had gotten so used to it I now have to force myself to listen for it.

I would say it has softened the "fart car" wanna-be-street-racer harshness under heavy acceleration, so that's good.

Was it worth it? Meh, probably not for most. It was worth it for me 'cause this is how I have fun.

Sponsored

OP
OP
D60

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
With some time on this now I think the greatest (and perhaps only) benefit was virtually eliminating the annoying underwater gurgle/backfire noise I used to get on decel, primarily in 4lo descending the passes, and I'm grateful for that as it really annoyed me. I never really experienced said noise on the street, but it was common with compression braking in 4lo on steeper descents.

Beyond that, it's VERY similar to a simple muffler delete pipe in terms of noise (IMO). I did recently install the Boom Mats in my hard top and that actually seemed to help the acoustics and overall noise level in the cab, but it's completely plausible I just wanted to believe it helped as I have no scientific data to support my claims.
Sponsored