First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
What I find truly amazing is you having over 10000 posts in less than two years.
EDIT: But you're just a piker. Sean L has over 21K in less than two years!
He and I have a couple of things in common. :like:
Sponsored

jimbobbeg

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Went mudding once in my JK. Months later driving down interstate and sudden lunge. Later the same day, my front wheel locked up driving in town. Took it to dealer who said wheel sensor went out. Months later, pulled someone out of the mud, and I got in it a bit. Same thing happened, and another wheel sensor went out. Mud gets everywhere, especially if afterwards (before the pressure wash) a window is rolled down, and rocks/mud scratch the window and inside the door mechanisms. But the cost of replacing the wheel sensors adds up a bit.
IMG_0020.jpeg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This thread scares me.....
Not me. I stay away from mud when possible. It ain't always possible, but I do take care to minimize the splashing and thrashing in it. When my crewcab pickup gets muddy, it's a credit card trip to the self serve car wash.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Went mudding once in my JK. Months later driving down interstate and sudden lunge. Later the same day, my front wheel locked up driving in town. Took it to dealer who said wheel sensor went out. Months later, pulled someone out of the mud, and I got in it a bit. Same thing happened, and another wheel sensor went out. Mud gets everywhere, especially if afterwards (before the pressure wash) a window is rolled down, and rocks/mud scratch the window and inside the door mechanisms. But the cost of replacing the wheel sensors adds up a bit.
IMG_0020.jpeg
What wheel sensors are you referring to?

Not me. I stay away from mud when possible. It ain't always possible, but I do take care to minimize the splashing and thrashing in it. When my crewcab pickup gets muddy, it's a credit card trip to the self serve car wash.
I'm on my 5th wash in 2 weeks.

Sponsored

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I'll only be doing dry off-roading. I have a ZR2 Blazer that I'm replacing with the Rubicon. I drove through body-deep mud holes and streams to make our own river access on kayaking trips. I also went mudding with it once in a new lake bed that they'd just begun to fill. Now the thing has large rust holes in front of both rear wheel wells, and I see other ones the same age with no rust at all, ZR2 S-10s also.

PS: I forgot to mention, I'll be moving to Arizona in the next couple of years. :LOL:

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
I can't tell if OP is a troll so here I'll answer. yes, offroading will mess up your jeep. Yes mud is not good. It's best to enjoy life locked inside your home.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
What wheel sensors are you referring to?
It is a cable that goes from the wheel up to the ECU under the hood. The sensor part is attached under the dust shield behind the disc brakes. It ties into the ABS system and from my experience, it caused malfunction of the ABS system and kept locking up my wheels, even when going down the interstate. A person can replace this themselves, but it takes a bit of time that I did not have. I'm not sure how durable the JL wheel sensor it, but if it's like the JKs, I will skip full on mud baths.

RedRockRubicon

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redrockrubicon.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR named Lucy, 2018 Bright White JLUR named Dru, 2020 Hella Yella JLUR named Stuart, 2000 TJ Bright Silver Metallic name Gru. 2020 Gladiator name Kassandra
Occupation
Jeep Tours/rentals
Mud is fine. mud at high speeds is not. If you are hitting standing muddy water hard enough to get it on the roof you are blasting pretty much everything with high-pressure grit. When the jeep is new, all of the electrical connections and seals are still tight. Over years from repeated heat/cool cycles, age, dry rot, freezing, and excessive vibration things are not as tight. Water can be forced past seals. A small amount of water mixed with oil will destroy differentials, transmissions, transfer cases, etc if you don't stay up on your maintenance. Water and mud in an electrical connection can cause gremlins that are tough to chase down. Take that jeep covered in mud to a dealer for repairs because it won't run right and that's a warranty claim that will be denied due to "abuse". See how you rolled that window down caked with mud? that glass is going to have scratches all over it... shallow for now, but they add up over time. Micro abrasions and scratches are not a big deal if you don't care... but the next guy that's going to be handing over his hard-earned cash to buy your jeep will care.

I used to drive through the mud like that in my non-computer on wheels TJ and learned the hard (and expensive) way.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Mud is fine. mud at high speeds is not. If you are hitting standing muddy water hard enough to get it on the roof you are blasting pretty much everything with high-pressure grit. When the jeep is new, all of the electrical connections and seals are still tight. Over years from repeated heat/cool cycles, age, dry rot, freezing, and excessive vibration things are not as tight. Water can be forced past seals. A small amount of water mixed with oil will destroy differentials, transmissions, transfer cases, etc if you don't stay up on your maintenance. Water and mud in an electrical connection can cause gremlins that are tough to chase down. Take that jeep covered in mud to a dealer for repairs because it won't run right and that's a warranty claim that will be denied due to "abuse". See how you rolled that window down caked with mud? that glass is going to have scratches all over it... shallow for now, but they add up over time. Micro abrasions and scratches are not a big deal if you don't care... but the next guy that's going to be handing over his hard-earned cash to buy your jeep will care.

I used to drive through the mud like that in my non-computer on wheels TJ and learned the hard (and expensive) way.
Glad I didnt roll my windows down and the dealership Jeep mechanic looked over it once I washed it to check for those things. And good thing it is 3 months old and everything is still sealed.

was a nice mudding, probably will be the last in THIS Jeep

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K5 Blazer, Jeep
I've heard of JKs running oversized tires with non-Dana 44 factory axles ruining their differentials by mudding. Anyone have this problem with JLs?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Another harm: getting stuck

Got stuck on river mud that had the consistency of fudge/clay. Saw a new-ish F250 stuck in the mud after church. At first I thought it was just sitting on the river bank because the flood was last week and things looked dry. After a bit of driving around with the wife and infant we drove past them again and they were still there, upon closer inspection, stuck. I thought I could get to them by going around what looked like dry dirt. Well, surface was dry-looking, under was fudge. I got stuck but by using nearby rocks/bricks/driftwood I inched my way out. I couldnt even get to him, and he was still there hours later (well, his truck was)

lesson learned, if I even SUSPECT I could face trouble when I dont have on my mud tires (had on factory A/T today, mud tires/wheels were in garage) I will walk out first. Didnt help that I slowed down to get into 4Low when I felt slipping and lost momentum. It was not fun getting out, the traction control doesnt turn off all the way even in 4L so I had to deal with that. But, she got out

73079d3d-a97e-45b6-ae52-af1fb4190074-jpeg.jpg

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
The other night I awoke with the TV watching me and there was the little guy from Truck U doing this show about mud boggers in Florida. OK, I'm awake and watching and holy shit - I guess if you have a semi pro stock engine and a monster truck lift, you don't worry about mud, you just blast through it. Hey, I'd pay to go see one of these events. It would sure beat the snot out of Nascar and probably be cheaper too.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The other night I awoke with the TV watching me and there was the little guy from Truck U doing this show about mud boggers in Florida. OK, I'm awake and watching and holy shit - I guess if you have a semi pro stock engine and a monster truck lift, you don't worry about mud, you just blast through it. Hey, I'd pay to go see one of these events. It would sure beat the snot out of Nascar and probably be cheaper too.
Watch youtube vids on folks mudding, especially in their Jeeps.
Sponsored