Mounted ARB Twin Compressor

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
EVO stated they are working on an engine-bay ARB mount.

I am putting mine up there - I don't want to sacrifice storage space.
Sponsored

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
No room under the hood. As of now, no one has made a mount. It has an air gap all around it. It also doesn't get anywhere near as hot back there as it did under the hood of my JK. I will also leave the cover open during any air ups. It works great. I ran a couple tires down to 10 psi and back up to 35 and it was warm but not HOT. I'm hoping this works good too.
well, there is under the hood, drivers side. nobody has a mount for a double there yet.
under the passenger seat. dunno if it'll clear. there are a bunch of people who have those for the jk.

i bought this one today. it'll hang it on drivers side, behind the rear seat,
off the top mounting bolts. out of the way, accessable, etc.

i'm running a #8 fine stranded wire to the 40 amp. accessory switch on
the dash. after i hook it up, i'll measure peak load, and see if i need to put in a relay.

https://www.mountainoffroad.com/jeep-jl/air-compressors/815572023674.html

i'm suspecting that with the engine running, it'll be ok on a 40 amp circuit.
i'll report back on what it actually draws, both in amperage and wattage.

and that compressor is $517 everywhere.

now, if you buy the ARB fill kit, it has a *very* useful item in the kit...
a tire stem adaptor that the air hose snaps onto. no valve stem, max
airflow.... for reseating that tire that is off the bead.....

Reactions: Rob
OP
OP
OnlyOne

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
well, there is under the hood, drivers side. nobody has a mount for a double there yet.
under the passenger seat. dunno if it'll clear. there are a bunch of people who have those for the jk.

i bought this one today. it'll hang it on drivers side, behind the rear seat,
off the top mounting bolts. out of the way, accessable, etc.

i'm running a #8 fine stranded wire to the 40 amp. accessory switch on
the dash. after i hook it up, i'll measure peak load, and see if i need to put in a relay.

https://www.mountainoffroad.com/jeep-jl/air-compressors/815572023674.html

i'm suspecting that with the engine running, it'll be ok on a 40 amp circuit.
i'll report back on what it actually draws, both in amperage and wattage.

and that compressor is $517 everywhere.

now, if you buy the ARB fill kit, it has a *very* useful item in the kit...
a tire stem adaptor that the air hose snaps onto. no valve stem, max
airflow.... for reseating that tire that is off the bead.....
Pretty sure it pulls 58 amps under load so the AUX wire won’t work safely, but you could try. The pass seat doesn’t have the room either unfortunately. Where I installed mine is working out just perfectly and it’s out of the way.

I’m sure someone will come up with something. After working under the hood of mine, I’m not so sure there will be room anywhere.

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Pretty sure it pulls 58 amps under load so the AUX wire won’t work. The pass seat doesn’t have the room either unfortunately. Where I installed mine is working out just perfectly and it’s out of the way.

I’m sure someone will come up with something. After working under the hood of mine, I’m not so sure there will be room anywhere.
it's not gonna fit under the hood. i'd put it where yours is at, but that cubby is being removed. i'm fabricating a second
gas tank to fit between the frame rails, with a transfer pump to pump into and refill the main tank. it looks like i can
fit about 16 gallons of fuel there.

the exhaust? moving ahead of the axle.

OP
OP
OnlyOne

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The original bracket you bought is probably your best bet then. Out of the way.

Sponsored

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
well, it's done. as the thing is fused separately for each motor, i put two #8 wires
in the left hand loom under the doorjamb, then up and over to the connection points
for the aux switches under the passenger side of the dash. they will fit with a bit of
snoodling under the wire protectors.

one motor goes to aux 1, one motor goes to aux 2, and a third #12 wire goes to aux 3.

3 powers up the fan and controls by heating up the purple wire on the airlockers plug,
and you can turn on either motor separately, or both together.
if i ever need the switches for something else, i can rewire. inline fuses for each motor
are under the carpet next to the left hand seat.

it all fits in pretty snug.

utefan

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2016 JKU 75th Anniversary, 1996 XJ
Many thanks to OnlyOne for sharing his idea on location for twin ARB mount and for his assistance via personal message. Here's a look at what I've done. Note, my switch location differs from OnlyOne's.... either location will work just fine.
IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
Nice work. That looks great!

OP
OP
OnlyOne

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like your switch position better. Looks like it belongs there. Great job.

Sponsored

badgundog

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018, JK 2008
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I finally installed my ARB. I ran 4 gauge wire from the battery through the pass frame rail and up through the little vent in the jack area. Sealed that up well.
I have a 60 amp maxi fuse at the battery. After I got everything wired up on Tuesday, the damn thing didn’t work. To make a long story short I got a new one from ARB.
Finished the install today. Got rid of that entire mess of wires. Just two right on the switch. It’s really cool how they wire all that up, but damn. Here is a pic.
It’s done.

7EACCFD9-7A0B-44FE-88FB-63A21041E3FD.jpeg
Did you bolt the unit down or is it secured by the limited space? I like that it is concealed and out of the way. A little concerned about having a cooler, tools, etc in the back and then needing to access it. Did you consider a way you could run hard piping to a point outside of the cargo box? I think you can overcome having to open the top by installing a vent.

Very good idea. Thank you for sharing it.

OP
OP
OnlyOne

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you bolt the unit down or is it secured by the limited space? I like that it is concealed and out of the way. A little concerned about having a cooler, tools, etc in the back and then needing to access it. Did you consider a way you could run hard piping to a point outside of the cargo box? I think you can overcome having to open the top by installing a vent.

Very good idea. Thank you for sharing it.
Thank you. It’s bolted down with two bolts. Honestly you could probably get away with not bolting it down at all. Yes I have to move a few things but I don’t really worry about it cooling off. It’s obviously no warmer under there than it was under the hood of my JK. Ken @utefan install is cleaner than mine I think. He did a great job. Overall I think it’s the best place to install it. Safe, neat and out of sight.

Jeepeninutah

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Ok planning something similar.. I plan to run power like I would a amp. 4 gauge coming to the back and use a power distribution box for the separate connections. My main question is the switch.. I’ve been trying to figure that mess out since I’m not using it for lockers. You guys mentione two wires, how did you wire it?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Ok planning something similar.. I plan to run power like I would a amp. 4 gauge coming to the back and use a power distribution box for the separate connections. My main question is the switch.. I’ve been trying to figure that mess out since I’m not using it for lockers. You guys mentione two wires, how did you wire it?
I just ran the purple wire for on off to the 4 auxiliary switch, tapped up the other locker wires.

Ponce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Retired USMC. Currently USMC pilot instructor
Is the twin needed? Or will the high output single do.
Sponsored