Sponsored

Mopar trailer brake controller - review / feedback?

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Anyone have any experience with the Mopar factory Trailer brake controller for the JL/JLUs?

Never knew of this till this evening and it looks like a clean install, but if it’s junk I won’t order it and I’ll try another brand.
Sponsored

BUSHRVN

First Name
MONTE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRANGLER JLU SAHARA HIGH ALTITUDE 3.0
I haven’t used it yet, but the install of some components up by the steering column were a curse if you’re not small and nimble. Blind work by feel because you can’t look and work at the same time.
Personally I always prefer the OEM ones because the read off the actual brake line pressures and feed the trailer accordingly rather than the jerky pendulum type.

OP
OP
Beachcomber72

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
I haven’t used it yet, but the install of some components up by the steering column were a curse if you’re not small and nimble. Blind work by feel because you can’t look and work at the same time.
Personally I always prefer the OEM ones because the read off the actual brake line pressures and feed the trailer accordingly rather than the jerky pendulum type.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I hate losing the 12v socket but at the same time I’ve never used it once in any of my past 4 JL’s.

libtekguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I installed the Mopar controller in my JLRUD. Install went well. I use the controller regularly when towing my 18' travel trailer, and it works well. I have the factory tow kit, so I only needed to connect the controller into the factory plugs. No wire running.

Sponsored

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Have the Mopar controller in my JLUXR and love it. Factory tow kit here too, so install was a breeze. Hardest part was getting the 12v socket out- even with a socket tool it fought me. Works great for the occasional side by side trailer I haul for my friend, and I love the clean factory look.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 8.24.05 AM.png

Ten North Prez

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, Toyota 4th Gen V8 4 Runner
Just curious…. What are you guys towing that you need a brake controller for? I haven’t towed with the jeep yet but have towed with similar weight vehicles and pulled a trailer and RZR, trailer and Snowmobile, boat, etc.
At the tow capacity these have I can’t think of anything I need it for. I’d welcome the feedback.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Just curious…. What are you guys towing that you need a brake controller for? I haven’t towed with the jeep yet but have towed with similar weight vehicles and pulled a trailer and RZR, trailer and Snowmobile, boat, etc.
At the tow capacity these have I can’t think of anything I need it for. I’d welcome the feedback.
Anything with electric brakes.

Many off grid trailers are big enough to require them. Many states have laws requiring them above a specific weight.

Ten North Prez

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, Toyota 4th Gen V8 4 Runner
I guess I just never saw anything that light with brakes. Makes sense on off-road trailers though.
Appreciate it the info.
Thanks!

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
OP
OP
Beachcomber72

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
I’m about to install the Mopar controller into the factory tow package that is in the vehicle.

Thanks for all the replies and tips.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer