Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Why do some people allude that having a lift on your Jeep would decrease gas mileage?

Or am I just reading peoples comments wrong?

3.5" lift (no new wheels/tires) was the first thing I had done and it never changed my average mileage of ~11l/100km...
Aerodynamics: the taller the vehicle, the greater its resistance to the wind, and the more the flow of air under the vehicle affects drag.
Sponsored

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
Why do some people allude that having a lift on your Jeep would decrease gas mileage?

3.5" lift (no new wheels/tires) was the first thing I had done and it never changed my average mileage of ~11l/100km...
Only thing I can figure is the brick coefficient and under body non-stealth part dynamics causing air to flow like a fart in a whirlwind. ;)

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I will be looking for 35s that fit the stock 17x7.5 wheels. I don’t know if that will be possible.

Currently I am running 33s on my 2.0T with 8spd ZF, with heavy aftermarket front bumper, very heavy winch, and a 4.5” lift. I’m averaging 23-26 on country roads, about 18-20 on the interstate.
I ran 35” Ridge Grapplers and 2” lift on the stock rims. No issues.

B9DF8074-87B6-43D4-8C94-E9BA471B59FE.jpeg

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Aerodynamics: the taller the vehicle, the greater its resistance to the wind, and the more the flow of air under the vehicle affects drag.
Yea, but heat rises, and cold air is more dense. With a lift, you are driving through less dense air, similar to a cushion of gas mileage improvement. It's the same theory that makes a pound of feathers weigh less than a pound of iron.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, but heat rises, and cold air is more dense. With a lift, you are driving through less dense air, similar to a cushion of gas mileage improvement. It's the same theory that makes a pound of feathers weigh less than a pound of iron.
Huh...?!?!

Sponsored

Rzrlady

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I average 16 mpg. Thats through the town and highway. My Jeep has 37s on stock wheel and Mopar 2 inch lift. 2.0 L engine.

SGME9

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2020
I've been trying to read through forums and can't find a straightforward answer.

Just looking at what I should expect in loss of mileage if I add 35s to my jeep. A range is fine, doesnt have to be exact. I eventually want to have a 2 in lift. Nothing crazy just a small upgrade without having to reconfigure everything.

If it is a couple miles it seems worth it. I dont commute far as is but if it is more than that, might just have to upgrade the rims and be at peace w it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
I lost about a mile per gallon with 35” KO2, then when I had the 2” lift done I lost another 2.5 miles per gallon.

SGME9

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2020

My lift decreased my mileage, I think it has a to do with the added drag of the components that are more exposed that were not before. The part is the numbers don’t lie.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
My lift decreased my mileage, I think it has a to do with the added drag of the components that are more exposed that were not before. The part is the numbers don’t lie.
It's interesting. I never registered a decrease in mileage - but what I did notice right after getting the lift was the rear window - above the spare wheel - gets absolutely covered it dirt/water/mud now when it's wet out.

The air under the Jeep is definitely coming out the back and curving up and into the window covering it with spray... Oh, and the rear camera gets covered too!

That never happened really before the lift.

Again, interesting stuff!
Sponsored