sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Referred to this thread, this totally blows. Maximus 3 should provide the bar for free. IMHO. May start looking for a new bumper with built in hooks.
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
What is all the hypem about the RockJock plate it is not better than the maximus in that it too is NOT tied to the frame directly. Has the same issue bumper towing has in that the Bumper bolts are not Directly attached to the frame. Note the horn it attaches to is NOT the frame...

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
What is all the hypem about the RockJock plate it is not better than the maximus in that it too is NOT tied to the frame directly. Has the same issue bumper towing has in that the Bumper bolts are not Directly attached to the frame. Note the horn it attaches to is NOT the frame...
Which RockJock (Steel Bumper or Plastic) are you referring to?

Where is the proper place to attach to the frame?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Which RockJock (Steel Bumper or Plastic) are you referring to?

Where is the proper place to attach to the frame?

BOTH. Neither attach to the frame only the skid plate horns. Like the Blue OX for example it actually bolts to the side of the linear frame of the Wrangler. That is a direct tie to the frame wheres the down horns and even the plate the bumber bolts to are not the frame, neither designed for towing.

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
BOTH. Neither attach to the frame only the skid plate horns. Like the Blue OX for example it actually bolts to the side of the linear frame of the Wrangler. That is a direct tie to the frame wheres the down horns and even the plate the bumber bolts to are not the frame, neither designed for towing.
I see. The blue ox uses the existing frame tie in bolt, plus a 1/2" bolt in the frame and then one on the frame horn.

TheCurrie steel uses the existing bumper plus two bolts on the frame horn. The OEM steel bumper has two frame tie-ins on each side. So you could argue that the Currie steel bumper has two frame tie ins just like the blue ox via the OEM frame tie in brackets...

If you add the LOD frame tie you get another bolt - but that's really in the horn that goes down. The bracket itself is a bit beefier too.

It's not clear to me that the Blue Ox is attached the frame any better than the Currie if you believe that the OEM frame tie ins "count" as a direct frame attachment point.

I'd like to better understand why the OEM frame tie-ins are not sufficient.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I see. The blue ox uses the existing frame tie in bolt, plus a 1/2" bolt in the frame and then one on the frame horn.

TheCurrie steel uses the existing bumper plus two bolts on the frame horn. The OEM steel bumper has two frame tie-ins on each side. So you could argue that the Currie steel bumper has two frame tie ins just like the blue ox via the OEM frame tie in brackets...

If you add the LOD frame tie you get another bolt - but that's really in the horn that goes down. The bracket itself is a bit beefier too.

It's not clear to me that the Blue Ox is attached the frame any better than the Currie if you believe that the OEM frame tie ins "count" as a direct frame attachment point.

I'd like to better understand why the OEM frame tie-ins are not sufficient.

I have the Blue OX on my JL and currently the Maximus on my 4xe which have bent. I hate the looks of the Blue ox but like the safety and functionality of it. The Blue OX does tie directly to the side of the frame, as well as the horn, pus the safety cable. However been hearing about brokem welds on the Blue OX.

I will probbaly switch out the the Maximus for the LOD Tie In bracket and use my Barricade Allow D-ring which is 1" welded to a 1/2" Plate then to the LOD Tie in that mounts to the frame and horn.

Looking at the installation intruction on both models of the Rockjock neither have direct frame connection only the horns from what I can see which again is has the same issues as the maximus and some others. Those horns simply are not designed for this level of force.

I am puling a 4xe that scaled at 5900lbs so so this is an important decision.

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
Looking at the installation intruction on both models of the Rockjock neither have direct frame connection only the horns from what I can see which again is has the same issues as the maximus and some others. Those horns simply are not designed for this level of force.
I guess it depends on what you think counts as tying into the frame. The currie (steel bumper) mounts to the bumper in a pretty secure way. I think it's 9 bolts. The steel bumper ties into the frame with two tie in brackets on each side. So the currie effectively has two frame bolts and two horn bolts on each side. You have the consider the currie in combination with the OEM bumper as one unit.

I'm really interested in understanding why the OEM frame tie in brackets may not count as a frame attachment.

Wogstl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep 4xe Rubicon - Stingray
The Maximus3 tie rod fix for the Blue OX bars is okay currently and getting revised as we speak. Before my first tow, I worked with the engineers at Maximus to design a "quick release" method of mounting the tie rod in order to retain the anti-binding functions.
After my first tow, we reconnected and are looking at a few modifications to the current connection that I am using (and will continue to use until I get to beta the revision - made for ease of use, not structural changes).
I think you all will like the new options....

RocknJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Anyone else feel like getting together and contacting a lawyer? The total lack of response from Maximus compounded with the flat out LYING about this bar always being required deserves an appropriate response from us IMHO. Between all of us we have more then enough documentation to force an appropriate response as they cannot be bothered it appears....

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The Maximus3 tie rod fix for the Blue OX bars is okay currently and getting revised as we speak. Before my first tow, I worked with the engineers at Maximus to design a "quick release" method of mounting the tie rod in order to retain the anti-binding functions.
After my first tow, we reconnected and are looking at a few modifications to the current connection that I am using (and will continue to use until I get to beta the revision - made for ease of use, not structural changes).
I think you all will like the new options....
Hoping that @Maximus-3 responds soon in regards to this issue so all that have already purchased their tow loops (sans tie rod bar) have line of sight to a feasible solution other than starting all over with a different system.

@Wogstl, any word on a timeline for an update to this quick release tie rod?

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I guess it depends on what you think counts as tying into the frame. The currie (steel bumper) mounts to the bumper in a pretty secure way. I think it's 9 bolts. The steel bumper ties into the frame with two tie in brackets on each side. So the currie effectively has two frame bolts and two horn bolts on each side. You have the consider the currie in combination with the OEM bumper as one unit.

I'm really interested in understanding why the OEM frame tie in brackets may not count as a frame attachment.
Tying to the frame means a physical connection to the linear frame, not a peripheral welded fram attachement.

For the Steel Bumper it only shows fram horn connection and ther bottom of the bumper still no connection to the frame. The factory steel bumper is nore designed for towing so that connection is mute leaving the frame horn connection. it may help with lateral forces but does not change the fact there is NO direct frame tie in.

Steel Bumper installation manual

Here is the problem with the Plastic bumper as two wrongs do mot make a right... The Currie has two attache points neither are to the frame:

Plastic Bumper installation manual

1. It attaches to the Frame Bumper plate whitchJeep Stellantis has publically said you connot tow fromm that connection as the Frame Bumper play is is not enginnered for that kind of force. (note the two small stock side frame tie in brackets are not strong enough for this either as that is part of the system Jeep says is not engineered for towing.

2. Frame horn connection as we all know is highly problematic.

While having two connection points Bumper plate and Horn both are deemed by Jeep/Stellantis and non towable connection points.

The factory brackets are only at best 3/16th and are slotted to the bolt on the frame so it is still a weak connection which is admitted by Jeep who says you should never tow from the bumper plate even thojugh those are there.

The LOD Tie in bracket is equally problematic as it to only bolts to the frame horn.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else feel like getting together and contacting a lawyer? The total lack of response from Maximus compounded with the flat out LYING about this bar always being required deserves an appropriate response from us IMHO. Between all of us we have more then enough documentation to force an appropriate response as they cannot be bothered it appears....
I am hopeful that Maximus will do the right thing here but a tad concerned that as of today they are still marketing and selling these tow loops as a stand alone system with no mention of the needed tie rod.....
https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-accessories-/jl-tow-loops#/

Wogstl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep 4xe Rubicon - Stingray
Hoping that @Maximus-3 responds soon in regards to this issue so all that have already purchased their tow loops (sans tie rod bar) have line of sight to a feasible solution other than starting all over with a different system.

@Wogstl, any word on a timeline for an update to this quick release tie rod?
If you call them today, they will work with you. They may still be using the temp fix taht I have but IMHO, I'm pretty good with the current work around....
The key thing is call them......they don't seem able to know who needs the solution and who does not....

RocknJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
If you call them today, they will work with you. They may still be using the temp fix taht I have but IMHO, I'm pretty good with the current work around....
The key thing is call them......they don't seem able to know who needs the solution and who does not....
Thing is there are more than one post here and on other forums with owners who do have this problem and they are completely silent on it. I even ASKED WHAT WAS REQUIRED TO FLAT TOW after the first issue was reported (didn't know at the time) and still no mention of the bar was made. There is zero chance they don't have records of my communication let alone others. They are trying to skirt the liability plain and simple. Otherwise we would see a post here asking us to contact them @Maximus-3.
Sponsored