Manual vs Automatic for first Wrangler

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Other than the first and last bullet, I would say manual.

Here’s why:

• You miss the feeling (they are fun)
  • Shouldn’t really be messing with a kid while driving anyways (I have 4 so I would know. No telling how many wrecks I’ve almost gotten in trying to keep them straight in any vehicle auto or M/T)
    • Note: I can still do whatever I need to do. A manual doesn’t take anymore attention than an auto IMO.
  • Everyone should know how to drive a M/T. Your partner will appreciate the fact that you took the time to teach them.
So I say M/T all the way!
^ This. Great points, @MORTON

Get a manual, and then come join us in “the clutch gang” thread!
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Want to make a bet? I did it when I test drove a JL.

You're not really "bogging" the engine if the RPMs are anywhere above 1500 RPM or so.

I have a simple philosophy - I've never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission, and will never purchase one..
I would take that bet in a heartbeat. I own a JLR six speed and it bogs at anything below 2k rpm in 3rd through 6th gears.

Last edited:

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon
If I was rock crawling alot... and I mean like at least Once a month... and actually climbing rocks, Id get the Auto.

But I've never bought an auto vehicle and probably never will

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
I’m sure you need another nickel’s worth of free advice. ;)

I’ve not driving any JL with an automatic, but those who have really seem to like that option. There is a lot to be said for set it and forget it…but is there? The answer is yes for many.

The manual may have drawbacks, but from where I sit, I have none to list. Yes, it may take a week or two to get used to it, but that seemingly is the case with any manual.

Normal Driving – no problems…you just get to interact more

Traffic – stinks no matter what box you pick…you just get to interact more

Off Road – it does seem that hard core folks choose auto, but drop it in 4 Low, pick 1st or 2nd, take your foot off the clutch and she’ll crawl through, up, down or over just about anything…

I’ve had manuals and autos...my first Jeep (YJ) was a manual, I’ve had sports cars (manuals), sedans (autos), SUV’s (autos)…my last SUV was arguably the best vehicle I’ve owned, but there were times when I needed to just run up to the store…I could have been driving any car.

With the Jeep, every drive is an occasion...I can’t say it’s just because it’s a manual, but for me, our manual Jeep has kept me from just running up to the store.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The 8 speed auto is very smooth, I’d recommend it for your situation. But also, you shouldn’t be interacting with your children while you drive.

Sponsored

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
I absolutely love my manual (second one), but I think if you are using it as the family SUV, then automatic is going to be a bit easier on you.

(As for speed, I found no noticeable difference between a manual and an auto. You just have to drive it properly).,

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
A lot depends on how you drive.

For my cars I've always had a manual and when driving around the city, I typically shift 1 -> 3 -> 6.

That's something neither an automatic nor paddle shift transmissions can do.
At least one version of the ZF 8 speed can skip gears, I'm sure there are others out there too. It all comes down to calibration.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180112/automatics-that-don-t-suck/

The popular ZF eight-speed automatic is a German-designed gearbox that’s found a home in the driveline of many vehicles from manufacturers around the globe. With eight gears, fuel economy and emissions are enhanced, as is performance. Non-sequential shifting means this gearbox can quickly jump from one gear to another, skipping multiple un-needed gears in between. Best of all, with the ability to complete a gearshift in as little as 200 milliseconds, the ZF eight-speed responds to manual-mode shift requests at lightning speed for huge entertainment value.
That said if it were just me I'd probably be ordering a manual, but my wife would prefer an automatic so that's what it'll likely be cuz in the end, I really don't care.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
This is jeep JLU Sahara is Jeep #27, C J's, Wagoneers, Comanche PU's and JKU's this auto is really great, you'd love it! My last stick was in an '85 CJ 7 and it was great but I do like the autos. Lot of deep beach sand driving, find much better.

I agree with the last three bullets too, but get what will make you happy, you're gonna own it not us!! lol

Go Jeep!!!

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
I'm in Los Angeles as well. I do the commute every day on the infamous I-405. My current ride is a '97 TJ manual transmission. Currently in D1 status on my '19 JL manual transmission.

For me, the manual transmission was a non-negotiable on a Jeep. +1 to all the guys talking about being "more connected" to your vehicle. I'm actually bummed the JL is not direct link - I'll miss the feedback you feel through the gear shift.

I couldn't disagree more with people who think a manual in city traffic is a pain. This is what keeps me sane and adds to the enjoyment of the driving experience. While everyone else is getting angry and frustrated sitting in traffic, I'm sitting there, top off, doors off, gear shift in hand, sun shining down on me, with a big ol' grin on my face.

Stoked that the manual was $2000 less than the auto. Even if they were equal, I would have chosen manual. These thick skulled dealers in SoCal couldn't get it through their heads that I did not want to buy the auto 4-door they had sitting on their lot.

I'm a simple, less frills, type of guy. Manual = less things to break. Manual = easier and cheaper to fix when something does break! If I could have ordered the Rubicon with no power windows and power locks I would have.

Its a Jeep - get a manual. You'll never regret learning how to drive a manual transmission.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
That said if it were just me I'd probably be ordering a manual, but my wife would prefer an automatic so that's what it'll likely be cuz in the end, I really don't care
You should cause there’s something Tim Allen-esk about owning a 6-Speed Jeep Wrangler.

I cannot really describe it in words so this is what I feel like driving around in my M/T JLU:

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@dspilman

I walked in and said basically

“I want a base model Sport with the following:

• Manual door-locks
  • Manual windows
  • Manual seats
  • Manual transmission
  • Upgraded Rear Axle”
And that was it haha I feel good! Don’t have to worry about $h!t breaking either.

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
@MORTON
I love that! I did elect to go with the Rubicon, due to the Rubi suspension, Dana 44 axles, 4.10 gearing.
Any plans for suspension upgrades?
My power locks and windows will be a waste bu will never break, because I'll never use them because the doors are off my jeep 95% of the time!

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
You should cause there’s something Tim Allen-esk about owning a 6-Speed Jeep Wrangler.
Two of the three cars I've had built to order (An XJ and a Mercedes) were manuals. The third wasn't available with one. This time around I could go either way. If I ever get to where I have a Jeep for a toy (3rd car) it'll be a manual.

And the more I ramble on about this, the more I realize the decision on this isn't set in stone yet. I'm not all that excited about spending $2k on an automatic, but I would like to get Selectrac and I think that requires an auto?

Hmm. Drives will be made, questions asked... this one could still go either way. Either way I'll be happy though!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I too love my 6 speed manual. The difference with me is I don’t want to teach the wife how to drive my Jeep and she’s not interested to learn. That’s great being she drives her car like she’s on a race track. The only down side to that is if we’re out late with the Jeep and I’m tired, I’ve gotta do the old “give me a large coffee to go”.

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Hella Yella
I wanted a manual for my jeep however after driving one I did not like the fact that there is no room for your foot to the left of the clutch.
I like to be able to stretch out my leg. So as much as I wanted the manual I went with the auto.
Also when I was in Moab for my first time to do some off roading it was definitely easier with the auto.
Sponsored