Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Any of you manual tranny guys out there have auto start? I need to make this work on my 6 speed rubi that's on its way. My JL rubi auto has me spoiled. Pretty sure I can't live without it.
I’m still trying to get over the fact that you called me a “manual tranny guy”. That’s offensive. How dare you.
Lol, just kidding Chris. I think you’ll always have in the back of your mind before hitting that remote start, “did I forget to put her in neutral”? Too much pressure if you ask me. Plus these Jeep’s actually produce heat pretty quickly and you’re gonna mess with your wiring and warranty on a brand new Jeep just to get a 1 minute jump on the cold? I wouldn’t.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubiconchris

Rubiconchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’m still trying to get over the fact that you called me a “manual tranny guy”. That’s offensive. How dare you.
Lol, just kidding Chris. I think you’ll always have in the back of your mind before hitting that remote start, “did I forget to put her in neutral”? Too much pressure if you ask me. Plus these Jeep’s actually produce heat pretty quickly and you’re gonna mess with your wiring and warranty on a brand new Jeep just to get a 1 minute jump on the cold? I wouldn’t.
There are quite a few safety features built into the system that makes it impossible to start in gear. I learned all about this yesterday.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
There are quite a few safety features built into the system that makes it impossible to start in gear. I learned all about this yesterday.
In that case then It's not too bad to do. Come to think of it my work truck is an Isuzu NPR and has a manual trans. You can start it only in neutral even if you're in it and have your foot on the clutch.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Bad idea. Park in gear. Those tiny pathetic drum in hat parking brake shoes are not going to hold up.

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
As much as I would love remote start in my manual I agree with some above that it should always be left in gear. Don’t trust the parking brake alone. Had a Honda Accord roll down my driveway years back after my wife left in in neutral with the e-brake on.
I'm not convinced you can blame the e-brake. Maybe your wife just really wanted a Jeep!

(yes, i always park my manual in gear - even on flat ground)

Sponsored

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Wrangler Rubicon Manual Trans
You can easily make any remote start kit work on the manual transmission, doesn’t have to be a special remote start kit. There’s a 3-way connector with two wires plugged in at the clutch. The green/yellow wire is the clutch interlock signal wire that originates at the RF Hub. The rf hub needs to see this signal grounded before it allows the engine to crank, which happens when the clutch is depressed. Leave the connector plugged into the clutch, but install a simple on/off switch across the two wires. Turn the switch on, and leave the transmission in neutral when you exit the vehicle, and it will remote start when called for. After you get in and put the ignition in run, turn the switch off. That way, cruise control and ESS will still work properly.

Hello,
The above instructions are incorrect. I just tried this and it does not work. I got this from another forum and only today tried it. It does not work. Even though I put to two wires together it still wanted me to push in the clutch. There are only the two wires coming out of the back of the clutch master cyl in the engine compartment. I can't see any other wires coming off of the clutch but there must be something else that I don't know of. I was hoping this works because those other kits all require you to go through a process every time you leave the car to remote start it. Again, sorry for posting an incorrect process.

Last edited:

Lager

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
I had an alarm/remote start on a manual BMW and I thought it was pretty safe because you had to sort of set it up. When you park you had to set the e-brake then engage the remote start function. When you get out the remote start would turn off the motor when you close the door. So the system sensed it was running with the doors closed and so it was in neutral and would allow you to remote start the next morning. If a door was opened during the night the process had to be repeated.

I can't remember the brand but I think it was a Crimestopper or Viper.

lopab23

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willy's
Maybe this has already been covered, but I gotta ask. It took me almost a year of driving my JLU before I realized that the gear I was in shows up in my instrument cluster. Having said that, if my jeep already knows what gear I'm in, then why is remote start such a pain to safely install? Please bear in mind that I'm not very mechanically inclined and I won't be offended if someone has to explain this like I'm 5...lolol :)

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
With my TJ I only had to pull a fuse and I could start in gear, clutch out.

We used to do it to use the starter to bump over rocks. I would not do it for remote start. Unless I just wanted to see how far it went in 4lo before getting stuck with no driver.
Sponsored