Sponsored

JLU with Manual Transmission wouldn't start

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Went to run an errand yesterday and when I got back into my JL, pushed the button to start and the engine didn't turn over.

The instrument cluster turned on and the Uconnect screen turned on, but nothing else.

I have a manual and had the clutch in and foot on the break.

Had to turn it off 3 times and finally on the 4th try, it kicked over. Never saw this before.

Anyone else seeing this?
Sponsored

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
I have a Auto so not much help here, but i though I saw either here on on facebook someone having an issue with their clutch switch. I searched but did not find anything. Does your display say anything when you press the start button?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Neutral safety switch may have gone bad.

OP
OP
Seanmh72

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have a Auto so not much help here, but i though I saw either here on on facebook someone having an issue with their clutch switch. I searched but did not find anything. Does your display say anything when you press the start button?
Yeah, didn't find anything either. No, there was no message stating an issue.

I did take my foot off the clutch and back on several times, but to no avail. It just happened once so far, I will keep my eye on it.

I did check the fuses as has been noted in other posts, but they all seemed to be seated properly. Although the tiny ones on a high post were a bit shaky. It seems like kind of a loose fit.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The fuses that are sitting high and seem really loose and shaky are spares as they are just clipped into holders I believe

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
i have had similar things happen, it gets stuck in acc. I think but I have not really tested this out is when i move too fast i hit the brake first then start without having the clutch fully engaged, and the key just cycles as if the brake is only pushed.

When I get in that stop just stop, get the key into off then slowly reset the clutch and brake and try again

OP
OP
Seanmh72

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
The fuses that are sitting high and seem really loose and shaky are spares as they are just clipped into holders I believe
Ah, makes sense. Didn't even click in my tiny brain. Thanks!

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
I have a 19 Rubicon w/6 speed. Have not had that problem. Now ya got me worried ! Lol

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 19 Sahara with a manual trans and have had it happen a few times. It usually kicks over after about 3 cycles. Out of the hundreds of starts I’d say it’s happened about 5 times. I think my computer takes a coffee break or something.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
clutch safety switch is probably gone. This happened on our JK. We would have to overide it by dropping into 4l and then starting it.

it's a cheap sensor located on the clutch master cyl and easy to swap out

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

no reason to have to have foot on the break. i never do that when i start my jeep to warm it up in the driveway. just one foot on the clutch and its starts up. maybe the clutch inner lock is loose and didnt make contact for which ever reason. id take a look under the dash for the push limit switch unless its like the JK with the pressure sensor on the master cylinder
Sponsored