Managing My Weight

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I haven't even bought any aftermarket stuff for my JLUR yet...well other than a Viair 440P compressor. But I see everything for these vehicles is heavy as hell. Anyone else worry about putting on too much weight?

Bumpers 100-150 lbs each
Skid plate systems 90-200 lbs
Rock-Slide Engineering Step-Sliders 200-290 lbs (depending on additional skid protection)
wheels and tires 100-200 lbs
Winch 100 lbs + 20-40 lbs for winch plate
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I haven't even bought any aftermarket stuff for my JLUR yet...well other than a Viair 440P compressor. But I see everything for these vehicles is heavy as hell. Anyone else worry about putting on too much weight?

Bumpers 100-150 lbs each
Rock-Slide Engineering Step-Sliders 200-290 lbs (depending on additional skid protection)
This is precisely the reason in Australia and South Africa they do all the stuff you mentioned and THEN do the suspension. Aside from tires of course. Those are only picked so you can factor in the weight. Though, that is unsprung weight so you definitely need dampers which can cope with that.
That way, if you know ahead of time if you need to increase your gross weight capacity and can also match your springs and dampers to fit your loaded weight.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
As you build take a look at using aluminum components over steel. You'll still get good protection, usually with a decent weight savings too.

The market is still somewhat light with aluminum components for the JL compared to the JK, give the manufacturers time, there are many parts coming.

A few of the JL aluminum parts we have in stock:
Rock Hard Belly Pan Kit - Aluminum

Artec Aluminum Belly Pan

Rock Hard Patriot Series Mid-Width Bumper

Rock Hard Full Width Bumper

Those are the parts I've been looking at.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited

Bumpers 100-150 lbs each
In short, yes, I am always weight conscious about the build.
I try to only replace necessary items, I’ll pick aluminum or plastic where it makes sense and I won’t add unnecessary items for my use.
Ie...
Synthetic winch rope
Aluminum on the bumpers
Plastic on the fenders
Separate tire carriers are typically lighter than bumper mounted tire carriers.
Every tire on the market is a different weight within the same size and some are significantly heavier (Toyo comes to mind)
A 22” wheel is heavier than a 17” wheel of the same design and material.
Everything I call decorations - tons of extra lights, grab handles, tailgate tables, additional camers, ice chests, roof racks etc...- are not things I will use and while they may not add a lot of weight individually they can start getting into the hundreds of pounds when combined.

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was about to buy the Rock Slider Engineering Stepsliders, mainly to help my wife that had a knee replaced, but I just don't want another 200-300 lbs on the jeep. That's just a rediculous amount of weight for one add-on. The old gal is just gonna have to make do.

LOL. Well I may look at some of the other retractable steps. I don't plan on rock crawling. If I did somehow get that urge, I could always remove a more vulnerable retractable like the AMP or Aries. My wife really does need a step of some kind.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Don't laugh, but I used one of these to get in and out of my husband's lifted JK when my knee was out of commission (eventually had a replacement done): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063KCNSI

I had it tied to a string and would use it, haul it in, and put it behind the seats. Not elegant, but it worked. Maybe a similar idea can help your wife until you get proper steps on the JL.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Don't laugh, but I used one of these to get in and out of my husband's lifted JK when my knee was out of commission (eventually had a replacement done): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063KCNSI

I had it tied to a string and would use it, haul it in, and put it behind the seats. Not elegant, but it worked. Maybe a similar idea can help your wife until you get proper steps on the JL.
LOL, she has one of those...

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I ran across the scales in Moab recently with a member of the RR4W. He had a late-model JK with f&r aftermarket steel bumpers (he told me both bumpers combined were 600+ pounds (this must have included the winch),full Artec Al skids, steel fenders and even the PSC quarter panel armor, beadlocks plus just about any other aftermarket doodad available for a JK

Basically, his JKUR was 1000 lbs heavier than my JLUR

After deducting weight of passengers, dogs and my ARB cooler my "trail curb" weight is around 4850...this includes basic recovery gear, a decent selection of basic hand tools and an ARB jack...I was at 3/4 tank so I'm calling it 4900# solely for easy math.

My JLUR is the 3.6, mods are basically just MC 2.5" GC lift and 38x13.50 Pats on stock alloys. No winch but honestly I probably should get one, so that'll add some weight. Plastic bumpers f&r. Hardtop with Bestop Sunrider. I did the muffler delete and was glad to see that hunk go, but figure that's offset by little things like the Mopar tg table and CB, etc

Pic of rig, again "trail curb" weight is 4900#, might help give someone a reference point (although really it shouldn't be hard to find a local scale, try co-ops, scrapyards, gravel yards)

IMG_20190817_150251194.jpg

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
Definitely trying to keep the weight down on every Jeep I have owned. The vehicle perform better plus adding weight wears out parts faster like ball joints.

Soft top weights over 100lbs less then hard.
Most after-market steel bumpers will weight less then the factory steel bumper and that is before you a winch plate and a hoop.
I also weigh everything I remove and subtract that from whatever I add. Like sliders.
Sponsored