FirstJeep_TJ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2018
Hi, All,

I purchased a brand new 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara on 6/29/2018. Driving from dealership to home on that day 7:30pm (temperature 90F), I found that the after 30 minutes of driving:

1. steering wheel started to click while I change lane or try to turn,
2. when I slow down or turn into park lot of a mall, for a second or so I could not turn further until I had to force it to turn right

So this seems to have lock up symptom. And I found a way to reproduce it 100%:
drive it for ~20-30minutes, then park the car, monitor the coolant temperature screen, once the temperature reaches 210F I start to drive or just turn the wheel, right away I feel the lock up issue.

I drove it back to the dealership on 7/2/2018. They were able to reproduce the issue right away and they decided to change the steering gear box. The service manager decided that it is not safe for me to drive the car and gave me a loaner. In the meantime they ordered the part in the system.

Initially I was told the part will arrive on 7/6/2018, but it back ordered, so no ETA;
I opened a case with Jeep Help line, they assigned a case manager who told me that initially the part had an ETA of Sept., but he was able to pull in;
The next ETA was 7/18, then changed to 7/23, then I was told it will be 7/27 or sometime in Sept.

I never got call from the case manager, I just called him from time to time, and finally I am not able to reach him for the last week or so. The service manager of the dealership told me yesterday he will contact someone from Chrysler/Jeep.

I am really frustrated of waiting while my car is parking in the dealer's lot.

It seems that the issue on my car matches with most of the cases mentioned here.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to speed up this process? I am located in Illinois.

Many thanks!
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Hi, All,

I purchased a brand new 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara on 6/29/2018. Driving from dealership to home on that day 7:30pm (temperature 90F), I found that the after 30 minutes of driving:

2. when I slow down or turn into park lot of a mall, for a second or so I could not turn further until I had to force it to turn right

drive it for ~20-30minutes, then park the car, monitor the coolant temperature screen, once the temperature reaches 210F I start to drive or just turn the wheel, right away I feel the lock up issue.

I drove it back to the dealership on 7/2/2018. They were able to reproduce the issue right away and they decided to change the steering gear box. The service manager decided that it is not safe for me to drive the car and gave me a loaner. In the meantime they ordered the part in the system.

Initially I was told the part will arrive on 7/6/2018, but it back ordered, so no ETA;
I opened a case with Jeep Help line, they assigned a case manager who told me that initially the part had an ETA of Sept., but he was able to pull in;
The next ETA was 7/18, then changed to 7/23, then I was told it will be 7/27 or sometime in Sept.

I never got call from the case manager, I just called him from time to time, and finally I am not able to reach him for the last week or so. The service manager of the dealership told me yesterday he will contact someone from Chrysler/Jeep.

It seems that the issue on my car matches with most of the cases mentioned here.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to speed up this process? I am located in Illinois.

Many thanks!
Has your dealer performed TSB 0809218?

Since you can reliably reproduce the steering lock up, it would be a good way to test your JL to see if it fixes your problem as others have claimed or if you truly have a mechanical problem with the steering gearbox.

Last edited:

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
This sounds like the same fix I got for my Wrangler. 1000+ miles since the fix with no issues as of yet. Glad to see the same fix worked for someone else and will be interesting to keep an eye on this thread to see if it helps anyone else.
I completely agree, Nabors. As a matter of fact, your post is one of the factors that convinced me to push to have the re-configuration done. I'm so glad I did!

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, All,

Many thanks!
As recommended by Jeepsterfreak, I would insist the dealer perform the re-configuration referenced in TSB # 08-092-18. After all, it will only take 5-10 minutes of their time. My dealer initially ordered me a new steering gearbox but after the reflash, I had them cancel the order because the reflash completely eliminated my Jeep's steering issue and, believe me when I tell you, it was bad.

Sponsored

tcon1994

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler JL
Hi all,

I bought my 2018 Wrangler JL with just 56 miles on it. 750 miles later my jeep began exhibiting symptoms of this potential gearbox issue (steering wheel seized/locked at highway speeds & warm weather).

I brought it to the dealership immediately on Friday and by Monday they called to tell me that the power steering needed to be re-calibrated per the TSB. Although the TSB states that the issue is exacerbated by cool weather, my assumption is that warm weather should not be ruled out.

I understand that replacing the gearbox may have been a solution to some, but i'd suggest mentioning the TSB to the dealership before you swap a part that may not have to be replaced.

I will keep you all updated as i pack on more miles.

IPSCOJL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018SRT
Hi all,

I bought my 2018 Wrangler JL with just 56 miles on it. 750 miles later my jeep began exhibiting symptoms of this potential gearbox issue (steering wheel seized/locked at highway speeds & warm weather).

I brought it to the dealership immediately on Friday and by Monday they called to tell me that the power steering needed to be re-calibrated per the TSB. Although the TSB states that the issue is exacerbated by cool weather, my assumption is that warm weather should not be ruled out.

I understand that replacing the gearbox may have been a solution to some, but i'd suggest mentioning the TSB to the dealership before you swap a part that may not have to be replaced.

I will keep you all updated as i pack on more miles.
Yes have them do the TSB as it will fix your issue.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

tcon1994

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler JL
Yes have them do the TSB as it will fix your issue.
It's been a week since my dealership applied the "re-configuration" and while the wheel hasn't locked up yet, i'm starting to hear the tiny pop in the steering wheel on left turns; sometimes that little pop is accompanied by a very small and barely noticeable bit of resistance. However, the wheel has NOT locked up yet.

Perhaps the popping is something that just occurs naturally with jeeps. not sure. Hoping the problem isn't coming back.

Will keep updating.

Last edited:

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's been a week since my dealership applied the "re-configuration" and while the wheel hasn't locked up yet, i'm starting to hear the tiny pop in the steering wheel on left turns; sometimes that little pop is accompanied by a very small and barely noticeable bit of resistance. However, the wheel has NOT locked up yet.

Perhaps the popping is something that just occurs naturally with jeeps. not sure. Hoping the problem isn't coming back.

Will keep updating.
The popping is not normal. Have them check the ball joint nuts - all 4. Check out this video starting at the 5 minute mark to see where they are located.

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Not trying to hijack, but I have a steering wheel question that I can't seem to find an answer. Searched this forum and the web with no luck; I'm embarrassed to create a new thread. So here goes:

What do the two square and single round buttons on each side of the inside/rear of the steering wheel do/control? At first I thought they were some kind of paddle shifter, but now I'm not so sure. Can't find a link in the (downloaded) user manual either, so any pointers/answers would be greatly appreciated.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Not trying to hijack, but I have a steering wheel question that I can't seem to find an answer. Searched this forum and the web with no luck; I'm embarrassed to create a new thread. So here goes:

What do the two square and single round buttons on each side of the inside/rear of the steering wheel do/control? At first I thought they were some kind of paddle shifter, but now I'm not so sure. Can't find a link in the (downloaded) user manual either, so any pointers/answers would be greatly appreciated.
Radio station and volume controls.

skeeter35

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler UL JL
I’ve had the exact same thing happen to me twice on My 2018 Sahara UL first time at about 500 miles went away and didn’t do it again until around 2500 miles drove it right to a dealer and had service manager drive it while it was occurring. I have an appointment tomorrow so we shall see what happens. It does seem to occur under high heat conditions. I will show the service manager this thread as he “said he’d never heard of this issue before” guess we all can’t be making it up.
Sponsored