Sponsored

Made a Tonneau cover

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2014 Audi A4. 2015 Fiat 500C. 1970 Ford F250
Exact measurements might be tough as there are some curved and angled parts, but I could get rough ones if that would help. Basically just started with a couple big pieces of cardboard and started to shape from there. Then once you have to shape, transfer that to the metal and cut away. I have it off the Jeep now for the winter, if you want I can take photos of it off to see the shapes of the two pieces.
If you wouldn't mind pictures would be great. Thank you!
Sponsored

Tjtep

First Name
Theron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep unlimited Wrangler Moab
Let me know if you want to see anything more close up or measure a certain spot.

20181126_213316.jpg

20181126_213333.jpg
Could you provide the overall dimensions of each piece? I’m going to order diamond plate and would like to have factory cut to the overall size I need.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Let me know if you want to see anything more close up or measure a certain spot.

20181126_213316.jpg

20181126_213333.jpg
I flipped a coin a year ago. Do exactly as you have or do something a little lower down to be able to keep it in place with or without top. I came up with this
20180612_134642.jpg

stitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL UnLtd Rub
I got some full length tonneau cover made up. I had this very simple design in my head for a long time and am pretty pleased how it turned out, with limited tools (read: hands) used..
My priority was no loss of valuable cargo space , use of full length of boot space when seats are up and or down,, and lockable. It flips up in two parts like a butterfly shape.

Basically the construction consists of:
- two simple TT-hinge brackets (steel building rods on a plate) made, Some garden hose tubing ensuring no ratle and a tight fit and smooth rotation on the TT hinge.
- diamand plate ( 2(3)mm thick ) : curved by a plate bender machine shop. cut with my oscillating cutter tool. The inner edge curved for hooking into the TT-hinges. The outer edges are cut to follow the interiour (cutted out a carboard template first).
Some small screws keep it from (curious hands) sliding it fwd/af or popping it up and out.
- I made 2 covers : one for the forward part, and one for the aft part.
- the aft cover locks under the top side of the gate (lip).
- Still need to finalise the locking mechanism of the front cover to get it locked to the half doors (so both cover and door get locked at same time - probably a simple hanglock could do) ....
I might add another small plate +hinges to the forward side cover so i can lock it onto the back side of the fwd seat somehow.
- system works also with hard top on.

System is not bullet proof security assured, but will be good enough for daylight parking. I geuss you can make it more secure if you go for thicker plate, and more handy in fabricating accurately dimensions adding secure lock mechanisms.
I was hoping aftermarket might like this idea.... but with a more processional design :)

PS: yeah, I received two right side tube doors that is why one tube door is missing ...:facepalm:.
Attached a lot of pics for the curiousers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Made a Tonneau cover 20200607_160839

_aft_cover.jpg

_bracket.jpg

_fwd_cover.jpg

_hinge_detailed.jpg

_port_side.jpg

_stbd_side.jpg

20200607_161202.jpg

_bracket_hinges.jpg
Sponsored