LOD Destroyer vs ROAM Frame mounted steps

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Would like to get either one, I was set on the Roam...then found out they are out of stock and can take 6 weeks to ship....found out about the LOD's and they can also take that long to ship..

Now that I'm stuck either way, I wanted to ask the group if anyone is familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of either - I know the LOD have optional frame mounts, are they necessary? Don't think I'll want to go through drilling the frame...but are they better than the Roam? They do have a higher price tag.

Thoughts are appreciated, they look similar in pics.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Would like to get either one, I was set on the Roam...then found out they are out of stock and can take 6 weeks to ship....found out about the LOD's and they can also take that long to ship..

Now that I'm stuck either way, I wanted to ask the group if anyone is familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of either - I know the LOD have optional frame mounts, are they necessary? Don't think I'll want to go through drilling the frame...but are they better than the Roam? They do have a higher price tag.

I think they both make a terrific product. That said, we went with roam because we loved the looks, price point and they are local to us. We try to support local business when we can and that’s what opened the door for us. Now that we’ve had them, wheeled them and installed a bunch I can still say I’m very happy we went with them and are excited to see what comes next!

They should be shipping the rock rails out hopefully in 3 weeks or less

Brett

Reactions: MOC
OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I think they both make a terrific product. That said, we went with roam because we loved the looks, price point and they are local to us. We try to support local business when we can and that’s what opened the door for us. Now that we’ve had them, wheeled them and installed a bunch I can still say I’m very happy we went with them and are excited to see what comes next!

They should be shipping the rock rails out hopefully in 3 weeks or less

Brett
So you are an installer?

Do you need to drill any additional holes in the frame? I know they are frame mounted and should be rock solid, since they are about $200 cheaper may go this route

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

ROAM seems to have a hit/miss track record. Search around on here and several reports of poor customer service experiences. They also had a rust/powder-coat issue in the past but that seems largely resolved.

I have the LOD and they were not great communicators during the long long waiting period but eventually everything arrived and has worked well since.

I personally dislike the ROAM logo cut into their rock rails and reason enough to look elsewhere.

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
ROAM seems to have a hit/miss track record. Search around on here and several reports of poor customer service experiences. They also had a rust/powder-coat issue in the past but that seems largely resolved.

I have the LOD and they were not great communicators during the long long waiting period but eventually everything arrived and has worked well since.

I personally dislike the ROAM logo cut into their rock rails and reason enough to look elsewhere.
Did you drill the additional holes? Wondering if the roam are stronger than LOD if you don't drill either

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you are an installer?

Do you need to drill any additional holes in the frame? I know they are frame mounted and should be rock solid, since they are about $200 cheaper may go this route
Yes we work with roam after my personal experience with them on my Jeep. No holes are drilled. They come with 6 rivnuts or you can use the included brackets that fit in thru holes in the frame that are already there. We tested them in Moab and they did their job by protecting the Jeep.

If you leave the insert painted black it’s not as noticeable. You’re 100% right on the bad coating jobs in the past but like you mentioned it has been corrected and improved.

Brett

Last edited:
Reactions: MOC
OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Yes we work with roam after my personal experience with them on my Jeep. No holes are drilled. They come with 6 rivnuts or you can use the included brackets that fit in thru holes in the frame that are already there. We tested them in Moab and they didn’t their job by protecting the Jeep.

If you leave the insert painted black it’s not as noticeable. You’re 100% right on the bad coating jobs in the past but like you mentioned it has been corrected and improved.

Brett
I hope you mean it DID its job protecting the jeep lol

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope you mean it DID its job protecting the jeep lol
Haha. Yes, they did their job. Have a nice dent in them and scrapped up spots that tell the tale

Brett

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
Have ROAM and love them other than rust issue - received mine in Nov ‘18 and they rusted quickly.

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
ugh, that’s a dealbreaker in New England

Sponsored

Jeffkam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’ve had them for several months in coastal Florida with no rust issues. That said, I’m pretty religious about rinsing after driving on the beach

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I went with frame mount Roam. No rust issues. I think they have that figured out. No holes drilled. I believe they even have flagged nuts now in place of the old rivnuts. I have the lod front bumper and do like their textured finish vs Roams smooth finish. Both are really nice. I just think the Roams extend a little further back and match up with the fenders real well.

Good luck.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Did you drill the additional holes? Wondering if the roam are stronger than LOD if you don't drill either
Yes drilled the front one on passenger side, and tapped the two rear. But drove it without that done for a few months and zero issues.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ugh, that’s a dealbreaker in New England
The new e-coating has corrected the rust issues. They hired the powder coating out with the assurance that they would have the same corrsosion resistance as oem parts...well I don’t believe they received what they were sold. Changes have been made to correct the issues and the company has been working to make it right with those that were affected.

Brett

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Anyone out there with experience with both that can speak to the extra cost of LOD being worth it?
Sponsored