LOD Destroyer vs ROAM Frame mounted steps

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
When you all are referring to "frame mounted", do you mean removing the body mounting bolts? And these are the bolts that are breaking? I mounted sliders on my 2005 LJ using the body mounting bolts and they came out with no problems this was last year on a 14yo Jeep. Am I missing something here? I need sliders with steps for my short wife (ok, actually me), and I always liked the idea of frame mounted. Please advise
The Roam step/sliders do not require removal of the body mount bolts.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
When you all are referring to "frame mounted", do you mean removing the body mounting bolts? And these are the bolts that are breaking? I mounted sliders on my 2005 LJ using the body mounting bolts and they came out with no problems this was last year on a 14yo Jeep. Am I missing something here? I need sliders with steps for my short wife (ok, actually me), and I always liked the idea of frame mounted. Please advise
Yes. The large bolts that attach the frame to the body of the Jeep. In the JL, these bolts are installed with red loctite at the factory. Even with diligent heating, there are many reports that the bolts snap. Other folks are able to remove them carefully but many report issues. There is an entire thread here about busted bolts. Suggest that you read it for background.

I personally decided to rule out any slider that required the removal of these bolts. In the end, I went with Roam rocksliders and have no regrets.

Last edited:

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. The large bolts that attach the frame to the body of the Jeep. In the JL, these bolts are installed with red loctite at the factory. Even with diligent heating, there are many reports that the bolts snap. Other folks are able to remove them carefully but many report issues. There is an entire thread here about busted bolts. Suggest that you read it for background.

I personally decided to rule out any slider that required the removal of these bolts. In the end, I went with Roam rocksliders and have no regrets.
Thanks, I did as you did and ordered the Roam Rocksliders as well. After reading the horror stories, I figured it wasn't worth it. Thanks for the explanation.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks, I did as you did and ordered the Roam Rocksliders as well. After reading the horror stories, I figured it wasn't worth it. Thanks for the explanation.
I think that you will like them.

The Roams don’t come with instructions to mount. That is really poor of them. That said, there are two threads on this forum (one created by Roam itself) that do a terrific job of stepping you through the installation with text and images.

A second set of hands is helpful when working with the flag nuts and brackets. For many people this is an easy 2-3 hour job. My brother-in-law and I took 3 hours to install, talk, install, talk, talk, talk, install, drink some water (too early for beer)—- you get the idea......

Have fun!

Sponsored

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I think that you will like them.

The Roams don’t come with instructions to mount. That is really poor of them. That said, there are two threads on this forum (one created by Roam itself) that do a terrific job of stepping you through the installation with text and images.

A second set of hands is helpful when working with the flag nuts and brackets. For many people this is an easy 2-3 hour job. My brother-in-law and I took 3 hours to install, talk, install, talk, talk, talk, install, drink some water (too early for beer)—- you get the idea......

Have fun!
Thanks for the tip, I had it in my mind that I would be doing this myself in my driveway without any help and having it completed in 45 minutes like it was for my running board on my Ram. Looks like I'll be taking them into my shop at work and using their pro-tools

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks for the tip, I had it in my mind that I would be doing this myself in my driveway without any help and having it completed in 45 minutes like it was for my running board on my Ram. Looks like I'll be taking them into my shop at work and using their pro-tools
Or somewhere in between.

all you really need is a few wrenches and sockets. Nothing fancy. No cutting. No drilling. I did it in the home garage with Brother-in-law. And, I did 90% of it by myself. He really only helped with positioning the bracket/flag nuts and passing me the right sized socket or wrench.....

There are 4 brackets on each side. Two have flag nuts and two don’t. The first side takes the longest as you are trying to make sure that you are doing it right. The second side takes half the time (learning curve). If you were installing on a buddy’s Jeep next, it would likely take half the time again.....

With focused effort, this is likely a 2 hour job....... definitely not something that you need to bring into shop or require pro-tools. But, geez, if you have access to a shop with a lift and tools, shoot, use it!

Reactions: MOC

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have a set of LineX coated ROAM sliders and they are very nice. The flag nuts are far and away better than the RivNuts that came with the early models.

If I had to complain about anything it would be the bolts that mount the sliders to the 8 frame brackets are too short (they do not engage enough of the welded slider nuts and were varying lengths). I ended up buying new M10x30mm grade 10.9 flange bolts and washers from McMaster Carr and did the job the way Roam should have. The "free" lights that come with them were replaced out of the box with Oznuim.

Overall, I am happy, but lack of installation instructions and quality control for the bolts is irritating considering the cost.

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
installed my LOD signature sliders, had my son help me. used my motorcycle jack to lift into place and bolted on straight forward and pretty quickly. very happy with the fit and finish. i did not drill the extra holes though. it seems like they should be fine without considering the lighter wheeling that i do.

r.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
installed my LOD signature sliders, had my son help me. used my motorcycle jack to lift into place and bolted on straight forward and pretty quickly. very happy with the fit and finish. i did not drill the extra holes though. it seems like they should be fine without considering the lighter wheeling that i do.

r.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg
This is a difference between the LODs and the Roams. The Roams have brackets that you mount individually and then mount the step/slider to the bracket. The LODs are all one piece which makes mounting a bit more of a challenge?

Sponsored

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
This is a difference between the LODs and the Roams. The Roams have brackets that you mount individually and then mount the step/slider to the bracket. The LODs are all one piece which makes mounting a bit more of a challenge?
honestly with having the jack ( or 2nd person) to put the slider on, starting with the rear mounting hole on both sides they went into place really easy. once you have them in place start the nuts/bolts but wait until all of them are started then tighten them. Now if i had to hold it all myself and try, then yes it would have been a pain. I know it did not take us long to put them on.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
So we now live in Wisconsin but we're from Pennsylvania, so that means all my buddies now live hundreds of miles away. That meant mounting my LOD Destroyer bumpers and rails solo. I don't have any photos of when I did the bumpers. Basically I just "Brazilian jiu jitsued" them into place while laying on my back to bolt them on. Fun. The rails/sliders needed more finesse though. I used a motorcycle jack, a furniture clamp and scrap wood to get them level and lifted into place on both sides. I have to admit it was much easier than anticipated. I still need to drill out the optional front passenger hole for the bolt that goes there. I'm just waiting until I do have a chum to lend me a hand getting the rail off after marking the hole. That's the problem when you're in your 50s and aren't a big drinker or Packers fan living in the land of beer and cheese. Outside of the gym I really don't have a lot of dude friends...

IMG_20190430_112430.jpg

IMG_20190430_112501.jpg

IMG_20190430_113517.jpg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So we now live in Wisconsin but we're from Pennsylvania, so that means all my buddies now live hundreds of miles away. That meant mounting my LOD Destroyer bumpers and rails solo. I don't have any photos of when I did the bumpers. Basically I just "Brazilian jiu jitsued" them into place while laying on my back to bolt them on. Fun. The rails/sliders needed more finesse though. I used a motorcycle jack, a furniture clamp and scrap wood to get them level and lifted into place on both sides. I have to admit it was much easier than anticipated. I still need to drill out the optional front passenger hole for the bolt that goes there. I'm just waiting until I do have a chum to lend me a hand getting the rail off after marking the hole. That's the problem when you're in your 50s and aren't a big drinker or Packers fan living in the land of beer and cheese. Outside of the gym I really don't have a lot of dude friends...

IMG_20190430_112430.jpg

IMG_20190430_112501.jpg

IMG_20190430_113517.jpg
Well done!

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
LOD Signature sliders 597$ on northridges website and free shipping. Ordered a set last night. looking forward to getting them :)
Post up - show and tell us what you got and if/how you like them.

IMO the LOD Signature rock/step sliders are the best I've seen in the market. I've been trying to get them to build them for the Gladiator but it hasn't happened...yet

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
Post up - show and tell us what you got and if/how you like them.

IMO the LOD Signature rock/step sliders are the best I've seen in the market. I've been trying to get them to build them for the Gladiator but it hasn't happened...yet
lol see my post above. i like them, look good, feel solid, havent slid on them just yet. work gets in the way of fun.
Sponsored