Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Why is one a slightly different color than the other?
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 1621573073668

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Why is one a slightly different color than the other?
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 1621573073668
It’s the one from the rear and sits in the fluid a lot more than the front. Since it has the FAD, the front diff doesn’t move much, except when in 4wd. So the fronts tend to look fairly new.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
So, should I buy two tazer oem locker harnesses? anyone was able to DIY?
I have not experienced any locker problems yet. My JLR is still under warranty but if it happens I do not want to wait months for new axles to be installed.

So, I bought two ZAutomotive OEM locker harnesses, they should be delivered on Monday. I will use them when I notice locker problems emerging, reported it to the dealer and the waiting for new axles starts. The ZAutomotive harness is an easy plug and play installation.

Potting has to be done prior any issues occurring with the locker sensors, else it would be worthless. Also, potting is a high risk option for the not so technically minded folks.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have not experienced any locker problems yet. My JLR is still under warranty but if it happens I do not want to wait months for new axles to be installed.

So, I bought two ZAutomotive OEM locker harnesses, they should be delivered on Monday. I will use them when I notice locker problems emerging, reported it to the dealer and the waiting for new axles starts. The ZAutomotive harness is an easy plug and play installation.

Potting has to be done prior any issues occurring with the locker sensors, else it would be worthless. Also, potting is a high risk option for the not so technically minded folks.
High risk? Hardly. It really couldn’t be any easier and much cheaper than the harness option. Never mind that with the harness you lose the ability to see the locker position.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
High risk? Hardly. It really couldn’t be any easier and much cheaper than the harness option. Never mind that with the harness you lose the ability to see the locker position.
Perhaps you are referring to a different harness, I am referring to this one: https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_lkr_oem/ It functions exactly the same as the stock sensor, only the sensor is now outside the diff.

Lets look at the potting method:
1. Unplugging the sensor harness.
2. Removing the diff cover.
3. Removing the sensor.
4. Drilling holes in the sensor cover.
5. Inserting the potting sealer into the sensor.
6. Waiting for the sealer to cure.
7. Installing the sensor.
8. Installing the diff cover.
9. Adding new diff oil.
10. Plugging the sensor harness back.

This is a process I would not recommend for a vehicle that is still under warranty or for the not so technical minded.

With the ZAutomotive OEM wiring harness you do only steps 1 and 10. Functionality remains the same.

It is up to each one which option to go for, I went the ZAutomotive OEM harness route, keeping them in my Jeep as a backup.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Perhaps you are referring to a different harness, I am referring to this one: https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_lkr_oem/ It functions exactly the same as the stock sensor, only the sensor is now outside the diff.

Lets look at the potting method:
1. Unplugging the sensor harness.
2. Removing the diff cover.
3. Removing the sensor.
4. Drilling holes in the sensor cover.
5. Inserting the potting sealer into the sensor.
6. Waiting for the sealer to cure.
7. Installing the sensor.
8. Installing the diff cover.
9. Adding new diff oil.
10. Plugging the sensor harness back.

This is a process I would not recommend for a vehicle that is still under warranty or for the not so technical minded.

With the ZAutomotive OEM wiring harness you do only steps 1 and 10. Functionality remains the same.

It is up to each one which option to go for, I went the ZAutomotive OEM harness route, keeping them in my Jeep as a backup.
No, the harness does not have any kind of position sensor. How do you suppose a sensor outside the housing is going to tell you wether or not the locker inside the housing is engaged or not. You obviously don’t understand how it works. Z automotive specifically states that the harness bypasses the sensor but gives you full locker functionality. Yes the locker will still work but there is no way to tell the vehicle wether or not it is engaged. You do whatever you want but discouraging others to avoid potting the sensor is completely asinine. It’s avery simple added step when changing out the diff fluid, which should be done early on anyway. I’m not sure what you think you have to lose by doing this very simple procedure which currently is the ONLY way to maintain full functionality of the locker sensor system. If it scares you then just move along, this thread isn’t for you.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look @word302 based on your immature response and inability to read simple English, I am not going to get into an argument with you.

If this is the "sensor potting" thread then so be it. Keep on potting.

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Any update about trying to buy the sensors in bulk? Would be great to just buy a new one and potting 🔥

I went to dealership, they charge $175 just to inspect and told me they need to order both axles. “Very common”.
Axles in back order without any ETA.

I’m still under warranty, but they cannot assure I’ll be covered.
So, 😒🔫

Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. Getting your hands on a second set of sensors, while your vehicle is still under warranty, and potting them would be a good idea.

I am sure the word will spread amongst dealers that owners potted their sensors and this will give the dealers a good reason to void the warranty with a simple inspection of the (potted) sensors.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
This statement is wrong. Please don't spread misinformation based on ignorance.

That harness bypasses the "in-transit" function of the sensor. The harness works at activating the locker magnet, but does not let the driver know of a partially engaged or disengaged locker plate.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I agree. Getting your hands on a second set of sensors, while your vehicle is still under warranty, and potting them would be a good idea.

I am sure the word will spread amongst dealers that owners potted their sensors and this will give the dealers a good reason to void the warranty with a simple inspection of the (potted) sensors.
I think you're missing the point of potting the sensor. If you do it before the locker fails, then the likely hood of needing to go to the dealer for this issue is near zero. It's really for those whose want and love to wheel. The last thing anyone that wheels wants is to get 1500 miles from home on a wheeling trip and have their lockers stop working or have their lockers lock in a fast food drive thru.

Dealers will find all sorts of excuses to deny warranty work, but this won't be one, if you do it before oil gets inside. Potting it after C1 or C2 fail, then you'll be waiting for an axle assembly.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Any update about trying to buy the sensors in bulk? Would be great to just buy a new one and potting 🔥

I went to dealership, they charge $175 just to inspect and told me they need to order both axles. “Very common”.
Axles in back order without any ETA.

I’m still under warranty, but they cannot assure I’ll be covered.
So, 😒🔫
The sensor still cannot be purchased.

They charged you $175 to inspect something under warranty?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished potting my sensors. I agree with others, it seems to engage almost instantly. Before it would blink a bit and then engage.

I did run into an issue but it was my own doing. I ended up striping a diff cover bolt so did my best with the rethread but it didn’t work all that well for me. The bolt is in and it’s tight but it didn’t seat all the way. I’m leaving it that way for now as it is holding and didn’t leak. Just means in the future if I ever want to remove my cover, I’ll have to deal with it. Sucks but such is life I guess. Seems to be the luck I have.
Sponsored