Sponsored

Little rust spots on body

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I’ve had my JLU Sahara for almost a year now. I noticed about two months ago, small little rust spots have appeared all over the body. Is this fallout? Can I just buy solution and resolve this issue?

I just moved to a new state and I’m debating to take it into a new dealership to take a look. I’ve never owned a car, even ten years or older, that something like this has happened to.

I couldn’t find a thread about this, but I swear I read about it a while back.
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I’ve had my JLU Sahara for almost a year now. I noticed about two months ago, small little rust spots have appeared all over the body. Is this fallout? Can I just buy solution and resolve this issue?

I just moved to a new state and I’m debating to take it into a new dealership to take a look. I’ve never owned a car, even ten years or older, that something like this has happened to.

I couldn’t find a thread about this, but I swear I read about it a while back.
If it really obvious, take it to the dealer, if it’s not, wait until it is. You have time under warranty. Rust is something I would not try to fix.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Pictures will help a ton here but if it is fallout, wash the vehicle with Carpro Reset or another high quality shampoo. Once its cleaned and still wet, spray down with Ironx and rinse thoroughly. Itll turn purple as it dissolves the iron and metal imbedded in the paint. Let Ironx sit for a few minutes before rinsing. Try to be in the shade

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
More than likely your seeing rail dust. It's Metallic dust that ends up settling in your paint from daily driving, especially if you live near or drive over rail road tracks frequently. Some elbow grease should help get it off.

Last edited:

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
RubiRob is most likely correct. Small iron particles get airborne and when they come to rest on your car, the particle itself starts to rust. What color is your Sahara? Usually more prevalent on lighter color vehicles. There's really no harm to your vehicle. A clay bar can easily take car of them. It's a common theory that it comes from railroad tracks, but I don't think so. I work for the railroad and my white company truck doesn't have any "rail dust" spots. And I'm around tracks everyday all over the country.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Get an iron/fallout remover from Amazon. I use Sonax brand, but there are lots of other options. It's almost clear when you spray it on and turns purple when it starts to react with the iron deposits. It's like a gel in a spray bottle. After a couple minutes use a microfiber cloth and they should come right off.

Been dealing with this forever...it's especially noticeable on white cars. I've always heard it mainly comes from brake dust from metallic/semi-metallic brake pads. When I had my white Jeep SRT, it was so bad because the Brembo pads on those things are huge and put out a ton of dust.

OP
OP

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I’ll get some pictures soon. My Jeep is white. I’ll post shortly when I get a chance. Thanks for responses.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
My understanding is the tub and most of the body panels are aluminum.
I think tub is steel, but all other body parts are aluminum, or plastic. Tailgate hinges are magnesium.

Sponsored

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
That looks like rail dust. It's super common on white and silver cars. We have a silver van and every spring it needs a good clay bar to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Here are a few pics

CEF1BAD0-692E-4B58-B9B5-987AF6018C68.jpeg

82D17707-A90F-4000-A007-0D8DD9771647.jpeg

739B1967-0D71-4E97-89DC-40BF88F6EC01.jpeg
Most of your pictures are of aluminum parts on your JL. You might think about ceramic coating to protect your paint. Get a detail done before the paint gets etched from the rust.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I used Ironx a few days after I brought it home. Most was on the fenders but there was some all over the sides.

1AADCCC3-DECE-47AA-93EF-249D1A19DD66.jpeg

Panda Mafia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Found this thread in Google search.
my entire Jeep is covered with Those after winter. Going to try that iron remover.
Sponsored