Sponsored

Lights mounted to standard bumper

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Jim, I've been trying to track these down. Tried my local Home Depot, Lowes, and specialty hardware store, but nothing that was a perfect fit.

What gauge thickness did you use? Looks like 12? did you have to bend or cut the straps yourself? Did they come in black or did you paint them? Did you have to drill the holes?

Sorry for all the questions!
I don't recall what gauge it was, unfortunately. It was just a straight strap. I had to cut it, bend it, drill it, and paint it, but it was pretty simple.
Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I don't recall what gauge it was, unfortunately. It was just a straight strap. I had to cut it, bend it, drill it, and paint it, but it was pretty simple.
That's actually fine, just knowing that there isn't an off-the-shelf part will save my sanity a bit. They looked so nicely done! I'll be trying to emulate and will post my results in a few weeks.

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That's actually fine, just knowing that there isn't an off-the-shelf part will save my sanity a bit. They looked so nicely done! I'll be trying to emulate and will post my results in a few weeks.
Good luck and have fun!

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
While it looks like I chewed it, I actually used a Dremel bit that grinds and cuts. I forget what Dremel calls them. It has little blades like a turbine at the end of it.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
While it looks like I chewed it, I actually used a Dremel bit that grinds and cuts. I forget what Dremel calls them. It has little blades like a turbine at the end of it.
Thanks for the quick response...I actually already deleted my question because I figured it out very easily...razor knife, little pressure, you can poke right through it slowly and surely.

Now gotta remove the darned lower bumper cover to get access from beneath.

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
So I finished up the physical install of my new PIAA LP 560s to my Sahara with standard bumper. I went the same route as @BigJimSlade and purchased some 12" 12 gauge heavy straps from Home Depot. You have to measure them and then bend them and drill the proper holes and since I don't have my own shop being a city dweller I used friends garage who had a table vice which is essentially a requirement for this project.

Coincidentally he has been building a crated Willy's which is nearing completion at this point so it was the perfect work environment to do Jeep Stuff.

jeep lights 5.jpg

jeep lights 7.jpg

Bending the straps takes a little elbow grease; just bang on them with a hammer (preferably rubber) until you get the proper angle. Then the PITA was drilling through that 12 gauge steel...without a drill press you can figure on 10 solid minutes of drilling, pausing to lube and cool the bit and metal with water and some WD-40. Make sure you have bits rated for steel or you will end up with a dowel rod instead of a drill bit.

jeep lights 6.jpg

Two coats of black Rustoleum to ensure that they don't rust up.

jeep lights 4.jpg

Then to install...you'll already have removed the top bumper cover to do your measuring but I found it easier to install them if you remove the bottom cover as well. Both are very easy to remove and replace. The top cover is just 8 snap-locks and the bottom is 7 plus two 8mm bolts. Remove the inner bolt attaching the bumper to the frame and slot the straps in, retighten to spec.

jeep lights 1.jpg

I measured the distance from the closest snap-lock hole for the top cover to the mount and then used an exacto-knife to slice a groove in the bumper cover to allow the mount through seamlessly...this meant I had to remove and reattach them one additional time but if you had a helped to measure the distance properly when holding it in place you could do it all at once.

jeep lights 3.jpg

Then the lights went on pretty easily...make sure when you are measuring your "L" that you leave enough room to get a wrench under there to tighten unless you want to mount them to the strap before you attach it to the frame. There's not a whole lot of room to work with.

jeep lights 9.jpg

jeep lights 2.jpg

20190413_192717.jpg

Overall cost me about $15 in parts and supplies, mostly because I didn't own a 1/2 inch carbide drill bit needed for the hole for the lamps. Seems very solid. Ran out of time to finish the wiring so I'll provide an update maybe next weekend after that is done and I see how they handle vibration when on.

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So I finished up the physical install of my new PIAA LP 560s to my Sahara with standard bumper. I went the same route as @BigJimSlade and purchased some 12" 12 gauge heavy straps from Home Depot. You have to measure them and then bend them and drill the proper holes and since I don't have my own shop being a city dweller I used friends garage who had a table vice which is essentially a requirement for this project.

Coincidentally he has been building a crated Willy's which is nearing completion at this point so it was the perfect work environment to do Jeep Stuff.

jeep lights 5.jpg

jeep lights 7.jpg

Bending the straps takes a little elbow grease; just bang on them with a hammer (preferably rubber) until you get the proper angle. Then the PITA was drilling through that 12 gauge steel...without a drill press you can figure on 10 solid minutes of drilling, pausing to lube and cool the bit and metal with water and some WD-40. Make sure you have bits rated for steel or you will end up with a dowel rod instead of a drill bit.

jeep lights 6.jpg

jeep lights 4.jpg

Then to install...you'll already have removed the top bumper cover to do your measuring but I found it easier to install them if you remove the bottom cover as well. Both are very easy to remove and replace. The top cover is just 8 snap-locks and the bottom is 7 plus two 8mm bolts. Remove the inner bolt attaching the bumper to the frame and slot the straps in, retighten to spec.

jeep lights 1.jpg

I measured the distance from the closest snap-lock hole for the top cover to the mount and then used an exacto-knife to slice a groove in the bumper cover to allow the mount through seamlessly...this meant I had to remove and reattach them one additional time but if you had a helped to measure the distance properly when holding it in place you could do it all at once.

jeep lights 3.jpg

Then the lights went on pretty easily...make sure when you are measuring your "L" that you leave enough room to get a wrench under there to tighten unless you want to mount them to the strap before you attach it to the frame. There's not a whole lot of room to work with.

jeep lights 9.jpg

jeep lights 2.jpg

20190413_192717.jpg

Overall cost me about $15 in parts and supplies, mostly because I didn't own a 1/2 inch carbide drill bit needed for the hole for the lamps. Seems very solid. Ran out of time to finish the wiring so I'll provide an update maybe next weekend after that is done and I see how they handle vibration when on.
Looks great!

YOW_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Punk N

jeep lights 5.jpg

jeep lights 7.jpg

jeep lights 6.jpg

jeep lights 4.jpg

jeep lights 1.jpg

jeep lights 3.jpg

jeep lights 9.jpg

jeep lights 2.jpg

20190413_192717.jpg

Sweet mod, creative yet simple. How long do you figure the vertical section is? If it was 12”, pics look like you bent them at 8.5”. Thinking of buying a a couple of heavy duty pre-drill shelving brackets...save the elbow grease ;-)

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sweet mod, creative yet simple. How long do you figure the vertical section is? If it was 12”, pics look like you bent them at 8.5”. Thinking of buying a a couple of heavy duty pre-drill shelving brackets...save the elbow grease ;-)
That's a good question and I didn't measure them after I marked and bent them, but that sounds about right. If you take the top cover off and measure the distance from the bolt to just about half an inch above the bumper it should give you an accurate measurement.

Sponsored

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
The Mopar part number for the bracket for the plastic bumpers is shown here. My 7" Mopar LEDs showed up today and they can mount to this bracket or the winch guard as I plan to do.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lights mounted to standard bumper 20190620_112003
I heard the install was a nightmare and also heard the back of the light touches the grill...any insight?

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Very delayed update...the lights work great! No loosening at all, they don't bounce even on very rough surfaces, and they've held up to several car washes.

20190620_112003.jpg

Really nice install. I’m doing this.

I'm new to this

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
These are all so damn great. I’m doing with with some 7” ambers.

What are you all doing for wiring and switches? I have no AUX switch. From the research im doing it seems fairly easy to follow instructions and wire up myself.

Anyone advise against this?
I have a QUAKE LED UNIVERSAL 60A 8 LED LIGHT CONTROLLER! Extremely easy to install.. It's actually barely an install. No going thru firewall or wiring. It comes with a wireless remote.
Sponsored