Lift Installation Question

2018JlNewbie

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport s
When installing the new rear sway bar links I noticed that I had to use a wrench to prevent the drivers side upper stud from spinning but the passenger side stud did not spin while tightening the nut. Should these studs be able to spin freely to allow proper movement of the sway bar? Is the passenger side sway bar link bad?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You should have to hold them, they are fairly tight but still rotate a bit. There’s probably nothing wrong.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I just had to remove mine and install them correctly as local 4x4 shop installed them wrong.

None the less, I used needle nosed vice grips to hold them from spinning while removing them. When installing them properly, I needed a wrench to hold it from spinning on the driver's side as well, but he passenger side I did not. I am sure you are fine.

OP
OP

2018JlNewbie

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport s
Thanks. This is the first time I've installed a lift and issues like this make you question if you're doing it correctly.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Not sure about aftermarket, but the stock and Mopar both have hex/allen built into the end to use to hold or turn it.

I don't know what's going on with the stock upper threads, but it was almost impossible to get the nuts on the Mopar links with the stock nuts. I made a run to Lowes and picked up the correct nuts and had no issue. M12-1.75 IIRC.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
6mm hex / allen

OP
OP

2018JlNewbie

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport s
Apparently I wasn't paying attention to the warning about using stock Wrangler sport wheels with this lift. I noticed that the rear sway bar links will contact the wheels when the rear suspension is compressed. What is the best solution for this? Wheel spacers or new wheels with the correct backspacing and offset?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Apparently I wasn't paying attention to the warning about using stock Wrangler sport wheels with this lift. I noticed that the rear sway bar links will contact the wheels when the rear suspension is compressed. What is the best solution for this? Wheel spacers or new wheels with the correct backspacing and offset?
Would the stock ones clear? What about just changing the rear links.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Wheels with appropriate backspace/offset is always preferable. Wheel spacers should only be used as a stop gap, when budget is a concern.

Curious, what lift did you install?

Sponsored

OP
OP

2018JlNewbie

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport s
Wheels with appropriate backspace/offset is always preferable. Wheel spacers should only be used as a stop gap, when budget is a concern.

Curious, what lift did you install?
I installed the AEV 2.5 DualSport RT. I also installed a Steersmarts adjustable track bar in the front. I only noticed the tight clearance when torquing the rear control arms. Since PA doesn't allow wheel spacers, I'm now looking for wheels with the correct backspacing to gain clearance for the upper sway bar link.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the AEV 2.5 DualSport RT. I also installed a Steersmarts adjustable track bar in the front. I only noticed the tight clearance when torquing the rear control arms. Since PA doesn't allow wheel spacers, I'm now looking for wheels with the correct backspacing to gain clearance for the upper sway bar link.
I've heard that PA isn't friendly to tire poke, and even go as far as ticketing out of staters for it. I still plan on rolling the dice to enjoy your Rausch Creek and AAOA this winter.

Anyways, AEV's wheels have a +25mm offset, which isn't a big jump from the factory wheels. They have some great looking wheels.

OP
OP

2018JlNewbie

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport s
I've heard that PA isn't friendly to tire poke, and even go as far as ticketing out of staters for it. I still plan on rolling the dice to enjoy your Rausch Creek and AAOA this winter.

Anyways, AEV's wheels have a +25mm offset, which isn't a big jump from the factory wheels. They have some great looking wheels.
I agree, the AEV Salta XR wheel looks good and is designed to fit their lift.
Sponsored