Lift installation: accuracy

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
No Joy on a search for this particular inquiry, so I'll ask here.

Several times now, I've read posts where the owner mentions the rated lift measurement that was installed on his Jeep, and the actual lift that resulted. By way of example:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...tion-jl-club-thread.56515/page-6#post-1269638

My first Wrangler (a YJ) wasn't lifted, but I am interested in the subject as it concerns my on-order JLUS.

What condition(s) would cause a lift installation to depart from what it is supposed to be? IOW, how might a 2.5" lift return 2" or 3"? Just building my knowledge base here. TIA.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Weight - The heavier your Jeep and any accessories you add (sprung weight - everything supported by the springs) the more your springs (whether stock or lifted) will sag. Some things which will affect this are: bumpers, winch, number of occupants, spare tire, engine, eTorque vs. no eTorque, etc.

Advertised lift height for that model: Read the fine print of the lift kit. They should differentiate the amount of lift you'll get if installing on a Rubicon, Sahara, or Sport. A 2.5" lift on a Rubicon will be more like 3.5" - 4" on a Sport or Sahara. Additionally, a 2 door Jeep will sit slightly higher than a 4 door Jeep.

Design and rating of the coil spring - All springs are not equal. The better manufacturers springs are made to resist sagging due to superior materials, metallurgy, diameter and spacing of coils, etc. Springs are also made for varying load carrying capacities. There's single rate and dual rate springs, with the dual rated springs being more resistant to sagging (and other benefits) vs. single rate springs.

But the amount of "sprung" weight will be the overall determining factor in how much "lift" you'll get.