First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have to chime in here for a second. I lived and drove for 50 years in the northeast, where there was an abundance of wet snow and ice. Wet snow and ice will stick to everything on the front of your vehicle. It doesn't matter if the headlights are recessed or not. Look at the OP's photo. Even the flat surfaces of his bumper are covered with ice. So it doesn't matter what the surface is shaped like, or if it is recessed or not, WET snow or ICE will build up or stick. Heat is the only thing that will help reduce it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
I discovered this soon after I bought my JLUR with LEDs through this forum - that the LEDs suck in winter snow driving. Most comments on the thread eluded to the need for a set of Halogen driving lights to back up the LEDs when driving in heavy snow. The added halogens look good and perform great. The ONLY LEDs that will work well in snow conditions are those with heated lenses. Yes, that's a thing. I believe you can get them for the JL, but whey when you can just repurpose those old halogens sitting in the garage (or purchase a set relatively cheaply).

rvb

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
I heard if you wash the headlights and use rain-x it really helps to keep snow from sticking
Was up in Denver yesterday and headed back home in the evening during the snow storm. Had white out conditions most of the way out of Denver heading south to the Springs.

Visibility was pretty crappy but made even worse by the headlights getting frozen over. Couldn’t stop to clean them either as there weren’t many safe places to stop. This is ridiculous.

62A04D98-2D6F-4E7E-B721-37508158024C.jpeg

CFB3DE6C-7718-47F3-A7D1-0DEF94EE2A5B.jpeg

BC0CC43D-007B-45B1-AA5B-E4677D7BC0FE.jpeg

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Reactions: rvb

Sponsored

Short bus

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
I just drove my new JLU to work in a wet and heavy snow and in a 14 mile commute the LED headlights and foglights were rendered useless. I wish I took a pic before I cleaned them off to upload. It's a shame because otherwise I love them at night. Already looking into my options.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
HID lights generate a ton of heat. One of the Morimoto HID conversions would be a great winter setup.
Sponsored