Leaving for 10 days, battery issues?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
7 inch. Do you happen to have a contact number for Guardian?
I actually activated my Guardian online
@Markham

Do know that the purpose of a Battery Tender is to do what you say you are afraid of...

People, businesses, etc., etc, leave Battery Tender's on vehicles 24/7, 365 days a year as the tender is designed for just that.

To start a JL with an app from who knows where, for a few minutes each day is absolutely, laughable at best. Doing so will deplete the batteries even further and of course there are a host of other reasons not to do this. Doing this is a foolisih move at best...

Best bet is to just leave your JL plugged into a decent Battery Tender when you are out of town or if the JL will sit unused for days.

Heh, not that laughable, unlike older vehicles, lot's have changed, but modern cars, especially one from 2019, the alternator is very capable of charging batteries at idle rpm. Turn off headlights and other unnecessary power drains on the system when you do this and it will charge just fine.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I actually activated my Guardian online

Heh, not that laughable, unlike older vehicles, but modern car's alternator is very capable of charging batteries at idle rpm. Turn off headlights and other unnecessary power drains on the system when you do this and it will charge just fine.
Sorry but this is absolute nonsense! What the heck are you thinking...........

You are not going to have a a friggin JL idle for say 15 mins. or so and charge up it's 2 batteries to any worthy degree. Your remote starts ... and vehicle runs for 15 mins., will have the stored vehicle's batteries depleted over time... Not to mention the danger of doing so, etc..

Guess I will have you label me condescending but what you are spewing is absolute nonsensical.

Only reason I call you out on this is I really would hate for some young guy or gal here, believe the nonsense or be remote starting from far away as you spew...

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
@COSJL

Your JL is not going to be like your "other vehicles". You try to go a month and there is a good chance you will have issues when you go to start your JL. This is a given...
Yeah, it is possible to have issues if you store it for several weeks which is the reason that section exists in the manual. For 10 days, I won't touch a thing.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it is possible to have issues if you store it for several weeks which is the reason that section exists in the manual. For 10 days, I won't touch a thing.
@COSJL

If you go back over all the forum threads posted in the last 12 months, you will see reports of quite a few guys (with and without programmers / or accessories) reporting no start situations due to battery depletion. Depletion that occurred in say 10 days even...

With that said, hooking up a Batttery Tender to a JL when you leave it sit for days on end makes sense.

As I mentioned earlier, the JL's batteries are depleting as the vehicle sits there. A minute, an hour, a day, a few days the batteries are depleting due to parasitic draw.

Prudent guy/gal hooks up a Battery Tender to their JL if it is gonna sit unused, for days on end.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm done replying here.. Hopefully some other's will speak up as I did. I know there are other's here that know the deal so to speak in regard to the JL and it's 2 batteries... and also how a Battery Tender is worth more then a pound of cure so to speak. 8-)

Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
@Rhinebeck01 No disagreement on using a Battery Tender if the Jeep is in storage for a while. And also agree that remote starting is bad idea. I just don't think a good battery will need charging if it is just 10 days.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I am leaving for 10 days and the JL will be parked untouched the entire time. I’m the past with my WRX with aftermarket remote start, the battery would be dead after 4 days. Has anyone had issues with battery drain on a stock JL after leaving it for an extended period of time? I don’t want to leave a battery tender on it without anyone home for that length of time.
Any modern car should be fine for 10 days. I would guess the problem was your WRX had the aftermarket remote starter installed incorrectly. One caveat might be in the winter with extended negative temperatures, but other than that, it should be fine.

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I left mine in my garage for over 2 weeks when we went on holidays. It was like 17 days in total. It started first crank. You'll be fine.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I did a quick search and found some dead battery threads, but nothing relating to what my situation will be.

I am leaving for 10 days and the JL will be parked untouched the entire time. I’m the past with my WRX with aftermarket remote start, the battery would be dead after 4 days. Has anyone had issues with battery drain on a stock JL after leaving it for an extended period of time? I don’t want to leave a battery tender on it without anyone home for that length of time.
Your WRX had something defective or the battery / charging system was bad. Think about how many days cars sit at dealers before being sold. I think you will be fine for 10 days. For peace of mind you could buy a quality battery maintainer/charger and connect it with pigtails, not alligator clips. No need to be worried about leaving a quality battery maintainer/charger connected to your JL while you are away. That's what they are designed for. I have stored cars with them hooked up for years without issues. Friends store exotics and collectables with them. Like I said, they are designed for this. Some car companies supply them, many are made by CTEK and re-branded. The key is to buy a good quality, proven product. I personally use Noco Genius and CTEK. Both are idiot proof, super reliable and safe. I have also used the Battery Tender brand. I would not use any budget float charges from cheap tool retailers.

https://www.battsys.com/equipment/chargers/noco-genius?chargervolts=65

https://smartercharger.com/

Last edited:

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
did the OP ever say where the Jeep would be during this time?If its in an Airport garage, a tender won't be an option. As mentioned, 10 days should be fine - but if you're really worried, could always disconnect the negative terminal and that will remove any drain, but also remove any alarms. And I don't know how disconnecting the negative would work with the aux battery.

OP
OP

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I really opened a can of worms here.

The Jeep will be parked in my driveway. I think I’ll just leave it and hope for the best. I also had a BMW that had a battery drain after 7 days, but those things are electrical nightmares.
Sponsored