Katzkin leather or factory?

19JL

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
So when I ordered my JL I called Jeep and asked about the katzkin leather. It is put on at the very end after the jeep is built. So if you want the cup holders and leather dash etc you must order the jeep with leather then add the katzkin leather. If you just order the katzkin leather and select cloth in the build you get a cloth Jeep that they remove the cloth and put the katzkin covers on. This happens in the accessory stage of the build. It’s after the jeep comes off the line. It’s where they add the rear carrier, door sills, or anything else you order. It will also slow your wait time. Hope that makes since and helps someone to understand.
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So if you want the cup holders and leather dash etc you must order the jeep with leather then add the katzkin leather.
I'm not sure you can combine the leather interior and the katzkin leather interior options that way.

However, for a similar amount of money, you could have katzkin leather installed after you receive your Jeep, and get more options to choose from! If I were doing it, that's what I'd do.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Factory all the way. 99% of the katzkin stuff looks like holdover from the JK days. Weird quality, chintsy looking to my eyes at least. The factory black leather is great.

That being said, there’s been some awesome katzkin installs too. Not every install or choice carries the same quality. If I had a cloth JL and wanted to upgrade, I’d definitely consider it with careful attention to the installer’s previous work and seeing the samples in person first, and none of those quirky Jeep grill embroideries.

19JL

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
I'm not sure you can combine the leather interior and the katzkin leather interior options that way.
I think you missed what I was saying. Yes you can order factory leather then select katzkin. The jeep comes off the line with either leather or cloth before the katzkin is installed. So it you want the factory leather options you must order the $2300 factory leather then order the $1600 katzkin. That’s why I decided against the katzkin and just went leather. It’s installed at the very end after the jeep is built. Kinda crazy but true

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you missed what I was saying. Yes you can order factory leather then select katzkin.
Ah, I didn't know that. Seriously. lol.

That’s why I decided against the katzkin and just went leather. It’s installed at the very end after the jeep is built. Kinda crazy but true
To escape the chicken tax, Ford ships transit vans to the US with rear seats, and then strips them out before they sell them.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...round-on-chicken-tax-riles-customs-officials/

I'm surprised it's more cost effective for FCA to have a facility replace the upholstery than it is to just have a place prepare the seats and then have them on the assembly line.

Sponsored

19JL

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
Ah, I didn't know that. Seriously. lol.

To escape the chicken tax, Ford ships transit vans to the US with rear seats, and then strips them out before they sell them.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...round-on-chicken-tax-riles-customs-officials/

I'm surprised it's more cost effective for FCA to have a facility replace the upholstery than it is to just have a place prepare the seats and then have them on the assembly line.
I was surprised by this too. I figured it was all done on the building line but I was wrong. All those added on mopar accessories are done after the vehicle is built and I a different location. If you watch the build status you can see when it hits the accessory stage. That’s why adding things like leather can really slow down the wait time to get your jeep. I just want to know what they do with all those factory leather covers they take off that were already paid for by the customer.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm going to add Katzkin after the fact... already have leather but the quality of the leather Mopar uses is less than ideal. Both seat covers are already ripping at the seams after 7000 miles and any bare skin on it immediately sweats (it doesn't breathe) unlike even the Dakota (which is crap) leather in my wife's BMW. Katzkin at least has some decent perforated options and I believe the install will be a bit better (no tearing/ripping/etc).

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
You cannot order both factory leather and then add the factory Katzkin to it. You have to order one or other. It is CBS or CBQ package. Unit is built with cloth and then CBS or CBQ is added at factory. I ordered CBS on a Rubi and would not do it again. You do not get flip down rear armrest, you get basic panels on doors and center armrest. Also on my Rubi I got white stitched seats that do not match the red rubicon stitched steering wheel, shifter boots and seat back pulls. I complained to dealer and supposedly getting white stiitched wheel and shifter covers like a Sahara did. Jeep needs to correct.

Reactions: AFD

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
someone on another thread brought up a good point. three people riding in the back. no floor cupholders. so they have to hold their drinks. who knows what to do. I think I'm going to go into the dealership and flip a coin on the color and then flip a another coin for leather.
Hmm - my 2020 JLUR with cloth seats has the floor cup holders. Is that different from past years?

Sponsored

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
You cannot order both factory leather and then add the factory Katzkin to it. You have to order one or other. It is CBS or CBQ package. Unit is built with cloth and then CBS or CBQ is added at factory. I ordered CBS on a Rubi and would not do it again. You do not get flip down rear armrest, you get basic panels on doors and center armrest. Also on my Rubi I got white stitched seats that do not match the red rubicon stitched steering wheel, shifter boots and seat back pulls. I complained to dealer and supposedly getting white stiitched wheel and shifter covers like a Sahara did. Jeep needs to correct.
My 2020 Rubicon came with white stitching on everything. Maybe, it was because it did not come with a red dash from the factory?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the dark saddle leather interior will give you white stitching on everything. The parts exist because that's how Saharas are built, of course!

Honestly now that I have my JL and have gotten acquainted with the non-katzkin leather interior, here's what I think: If you want the leather dash/door trim, get the normal leather interior and then after it's delivered, make your decision. The normal leather is nicer than I thought it'd be, so unless it ends up wearing badly or something I'm not planning to replace it. .... unless I decide ventilated seats are worth the $2k! lol.

rocketship41

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JK350
Here's a little more info... I ordered the CBS option on my Rubicon in August, it was just delivered to dealer. The CBS option is definitely missing all the factory leather touches, but the dealer can easily replace the pieces. Top Dash, center console, door armrest, and ebrake. It is going to look pretty good and the quality is very good. Much softer than the factory leather. I figure it's going to cost me about 700 bucks to make it right. The good news is, the factory at least matched some of the stitching with RED. I like it.

IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg
Sponsored