JLU Wipers Ice up fast

Johnczar4

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 Wrangler Sport S
2020 was mild wrt snow in NJ. First real snowstorm today dropping 18+”. Although the Wrangler handled the snow flawlessly on the road, the wipers kept repeatedly icing up rather quickly. Needed to scrape them multiple times as ice kept accumulating on them and the windshield.
Any recommendations on wipers that don’t ice up as much as the stock?

Last year drove home from Tremblant 8 hours in steady snow and sleet in the Family car - Honda Pilot with no icing issues

Side note, today I saw a Nissan Rogue fishtail left and right on the road. Explorer spun out in a snow back on the median on 78. I had to dig out a RAV4 that slid off and was stuck on the shoulder on 78. And I passed a Mazda crossover “SUV” that couldn’t merge onto the Highway from the on ramp - couldn’t clear the snow bank.
No worries in my Jeep no matter the conditions.
Sponsored

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
2020 was mild wrt snow in NJ. First real snowstorm today dropping 18+”. Although the Wrangler handled the snow flawlessly on the road, the wipers kept repeatedly icing up rather quickly. Needed to scrape them multiple times as ice kept accumulating on them and the windshield.

Last year drove home from Tremblant 8 hours in steady snow and sleet in the Family car - Honda Pilot with no icing issues

Side note, today I saw a Nissan Rogue fishtail left and right on the road. Explorer spun out in a snow back on the median on 78. I had to dig out a RAV4 that slid off and was stuck on the shoulder on 78. And I passed a Mazda crossover “SUV” that couldn’t merge onto the Highway from the on ramp - couldn’t clear the snow bank.
No worries in my Jeep no matter the conditions.
Great question - I was the last one to leave work last night and the ice was coming down pretty heavily. The JLUR had no issues on the two lane road home, but my wipers could barely keep up and they weren’t doing much to keep the ice off. I’d love to hear about other options as well - glad to hear that you didn’t have any other issues in the commute...

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I found the best solution was to get dedicated winter blades. I ran into this issue in an early fall winter storm in the mountains. It got to the point where my face was on fire from the defrost. went the next day picked up some winter blades and haven't had any major issues since.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
On most of my vehicles, I just turn the windshield defroster on max power and that’s usually enough to de-ice the glass and the wipers. However, the Jeep‘s front defroster doesn’t cover the whole windshield. I suspect that may be part of the problem for some folks.

Sponsored

Kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Ram W250

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
For years, I've used proper winter windscreen wipers. They are traditional spring arm blades that are encased in a thin, flexible rubber boot. I prefer this style to certain of the modern beam-style blades that are also sold as "winter wipers." The latter doesn't deter ice accumulation nearly as well as what I use. Newer isn't always better.

I've a pair of Duralast winter blades on the JLU at the moment. We've had enough snow & freezing rain in the past few weeks for them to have proved their worth to me.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Wipers Ice up fast Antenna 1

goboom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Altitude
Subarus have a heating element that keeps the blades "warm". The elements are on the dash where the blades park. I very much appreciated that feature, and I wish my Wrangler had it.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yes they do, and so did my JKR wipers and the TJ wipers before those. Better blades help, de-icing fluid in washer reservoir and mindlessly repeating "It's a Jeep thang" help but don't fix it completely.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
+1 to dedicated winter wipers and the winter de-icing formula.

You may need to put something to block/distribute the defrosting air across the entire windscreen instead of just the central section. There's a few threads around here with people trying to fix it. I haven't done anything yet because I don't drive much these days with COVID so haven't yet seen an issue that wasn't solved by simply blasting the defroster on full heat and high fan speed.

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
That's crazy, in in jersey and was out during and after ther storm... had zero issues

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Subarus have a heating element that keeps the blades "warm". The elements are on the dash where the blades park. I very much appreciated that feature, and I wish my Wrangler had it.
It is a really nice feature that I appreciate. Going to tag this thread for myself some good winter blades for next year.
Sponsored