Sponsored

JLU 2021 Headlight LED Upgrade Options (From Halogen)?

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
If you live and drive in a lot of snow (your info says NY), you may want to consider one of the kits that includes a heater to prevent snow and ice buildup. I've heard that driving in snow with LED headlights that the snow can stick to the lights and block light. LEDs don't generate heat like regular and halogen bulbs do, so I can see snow packing and sticking to them. I live in Fla so I have not experienced this personally. I think Oracle makes a kit or bulb that includes a heater.

There are probably others too. Oculus™ Bi-LED Projector Headlights with Heated Lens for Jeep Wrangler JL/Gladiator JT – ORACLE Lighting (oraclelights.com)
Sponsored

DCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport, 2022 Sahara
Initially tried beamtechs, definitely brighter but the pattern was awful and I don’t think they really provided much more useful illumination. I had to point them way down to avoid too much stray light going too high. I hesitated on Amazon led housings as I gathered the pattern would be unlikely to satisfy and I didn’t see DOT cutoffs on reviews

finally went with the oracles and honestly they are very high quality for the price point. I don’t care about the halos, aesthetics etc. they just simply put out a great pattern and are easy to adjust (mine required a fair bit of adjustment and they should, everyone’s jeep is just a little different). If they hold up, I’ll easily place them as best mod for a jeep ive ever done. They are very similar in sharp cutoff to bixenon bmws, they don’t perform from an output standpoint quite to that level BUT they are more than adequate and honestly to get a super high quality bixenon output like a bmw would set you back a hefty amount for a retrofit (not worth it given how good the oracles are).

regarding snow issues, no LED housing is ideal for this. I plan to add halogen aux lights to the bumper for this issue but we rarely get snow where I’m located and it’s low priority right now

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I just got these. Installed them this afternoon. Waiting for it to get dark so I can see the pattern and make sure I put them in right. In another thread people mentioned having to lower the beams after installing these, did you have to do that too?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
You *may* need to adjust your headlights afterwards.
Gregj

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
You *may* need to adjust your headlights afterwards.
Gregj
Thanks! I would occassionally get people flashing me with the factory setup with the halogens so had been thinking about maybe lowering them a bit even before installing the Beamtechs.

However, I looked at the pattern against the garage door and it didn't look to be hitting excessively high and didn't look any higher than before with the halogens. I also took the JL out for a ride a bit ago now that it was good and dark. I made sure to pay attention to where my beam was hitting as I passed oncoming traffic on some back roads and main roads. Didn't seem to be hitting anyone in the face and noone flashed me at all so I may leave it as is for now and see how it goes.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Initially tried beamtechs, definitely brighter but the pattern was awful and I don’t think they really provided much more useful illumination. I had to point them way down to avoid too much stray light going too high. I hesitated on Amazon led housings as I gathered the pattern would be unlikely to satisfy and I didn’t see DOT cutoffs on reviews

finally went with the oracles and honestly they are very high quality for the price point. I don’t care about the halos, aesthetics etc. they just simply put out a great pattern and are easy to adjust (mine required a fair bit of adjustment and they should, everyone’s jeep is just a little different). If they hold up, I’ll easily place them as best mod for a jeep ive ever done. They are very similar in sharp cutoff to bixenon bmws, they don’t perform from an output standpoint quite to that level BUT they are more than adequate and honestly to get a super high quality bixenon output like a bmw would set you back a hefty amount for a retrofit (not worth it given how good the oracles are).

regarding snow issues, no LED housing is ideal for this. I plan to add halogen aux lights to the bumper for this issue but we rarely get snow where I’m located and it’s low priority right now
Oracle Oculus is now available with a heated lense. Are the adjusters convenient enough to adjust on the side of the road at night?

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I went with the Amazon LED bulb replacements for headlights, turn signals, side marker DRL's and fog lights. I'm happy with it so far. Had them in for a month now with no complaints. See before and after pictures.

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6582.jpg

IMG_6577.jpg
All I see is a ton more glare. Don’t be one of those people.

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
If you live and drive in a lot of snow (your info says NY), you may want to consider one of the kits that includes a heater to prevent snow and ice buildup. I've heard that driving in snow with LED headlights that the snow can stick to the lights and block light. LEDs don't generate heat like regular and halogen bulbs do, so I can see snow packing and sticking to them. I live in Fla so I have not experienced this personally. I think Oracle makes a kit or bulb that includes a heater.

There are probably others too. Oculus™ Bi-LED Projector Headlights with Heated Lens for Jeep Wrangler JL/Gladiator JT – ORACLE Lighting (oraclelights.com)
Is it plug and play even with the Halogens or would additional wiring be needed?

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Is it plug and play even with the Halogens or would additional wiring be needed?
I don't know. I think most of the kits are plug and play. That's more of a question for the kit maker

JEBIGA

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Occupation
Union Electrician
I went with the Amazon LED bulb replacements for headlights, turn signals, side marker DRL's and fog lights. I'm happy with it so far. Had them in for a month now with no complaints. See before and after pictures.

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6582.jpg

IMG_6577.jpg
I know this an old post but if you can provide the bulb numbers for the fog lights and turn signals I would appreciate that. I have a 21 JL and just had MOPAR led headlights installed, not the drl and fogs look terrible! Need to upgrade them but just want to change the lamp, not the entire fixture. Thanks!

Sponsored

AlexM90

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 2021
I know this an old post but if you can provide the bulb numbers for the fog lights and turn signals I would appreciate that. I have a 21 JL and just had MOPAR led headlights installed, not the drl and fogs look terrible! Need to upgrade them but just want to change the lamp, not the entire fixture. Thanks!
Fog light bulb size: PSX24W
Marker lights & turn signals bulb size: 7443

Also, if you're buying off Amazon there should be a guaranteed fit verifier near the top of the page where you put your car details in and it lets you know if the part you're looking at will fit your vehicle. Before you pull the trigger use that as well to be 100% it's the right part.

JEBIGA

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Occupation
Union Electrician
Fog light bulb size: PSX24W
Marker lights & turn signals bulb size: 7443

Also, if you're buying off Amazon there should be a guaranteed fit verifier near the top of the page where you put your car details in and it lets you know if the part you're looking at will fit your vehicle. Before you pull the trigger use that as well to be 100% it's the right part.
THANK YOU!

TaZ_65

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I did the swap from halogen to OEM Mopar LEDs on my 2021. Plug and play-ish, I used a Tazer to "reprogram" my lights. No extra wires or pigtails or stuff like that. If you can find a take off set, might be a good option for you.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Recently did this as well. For the turn signals/DRLs, it's confusing as hell, but depends on what you currently have.

Here's the details from my build thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/joyride-hydro-jlusa-build-thread.76001/post-2483525

On my Sahara Altitude, I have two separate bulbs. I went with LASFIT and use these:
Amazon.com: LASFIT 7443CK LED Bulb 7444CK ONLY for CK socket, Switchback Yellow/White, CANBUS LED Turn Signal Light Error Free Anti Blinker Bulb Hyper Flash(2pcs)

For the DRLs, you actually need these: https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-Reverse-Backup-Light-1200lm/dp/B0825MV53P. It doesn't seem like they work, but they do - I've been running them for a while now with no issues.

OUsoONErs

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
Clubs

Bottom line is most of the time you get what you pay for. If you budget is to replace the bulbs with led bulbs that may work for you. If your budget allows you to replace the entire lamp that may work out better. I also had halogen headlamps and chose to change out the entire lamp. Yes it was expensive, i went back and forth between the Oracle and the Diode Dynamic Elite Max. I ended up going with the Diode Dynamics and have been very pleased. I also changed out the fog lights at the same time and it made a huge difference.
Sponsored