Sponsored

JLU 2021 Headlight LED Upgrade Options (From Halogen)?

Michael_LI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
I have a JL Sport S (2021) with regular halogen lights. They're really dim - presumably deliberately to encourage people to pay for factory LEDs :)

On DIY upgrades; the choice seems to be replacing the whole unit with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/KIWI-MASTER-Headlights-Accessories-Adjustable/dp/B07N4K67H1
(I don't know if that's a good one; I'm just using it for illustration)

or just bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Lighting-5236-001-Headlight-Bulb/dp/B06XP3ZMSJ

or even much cheaper ones which Amazon claims fit:
https://www.amazon.com/Glowteck-9008-Headlight-Bulbs-Conversion/dp/B08VN9ZHX7
However that last one looks very sus - there's no shroud so how does it control dipped/main beam spill ?

Does anyone have views on which option is best and particular brands? I want to avoid a dealer visit for 'flashing codes' and would like plug and play, not cutting wires etc (ideally).

Thanks.
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I’ve had the Kiwi masters in the Bosses Jeep for about two years, they work great. I have the Beamtech bulbs in mine for about the same time, they also work great.
Gregj

OP
OP

Michael_LI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
I have the Beamtech bulbs in mine for about the same time, they also work great.
Thanks; do you know which model of Beamtech you used; Amazon reckons none are compatible and their web site doesn't have a selection tool. How many lumens are yours ?

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll lead this by saying I know lot of people have and really like both the beam techs and the kiwi masters.

I had both and was not happy with either. Both had the faintest flicker to them that I could notice while the jeep was idling (didn’t happen when they were on but the jeep was off). I believe this could be remedied if you have a programmer and switch the setting to LED.

Depending on the pattern you pick for the Kiwi’s the light scatters a little bit, but the pattern is good enough for the price. I know a few have received the kiwis with small “defects” like finger print smudges on the inside of the lens.

I decided to spring for the Oracle Oculus and couldn’t be happier. The build quality is great, the pattern is good and they’ve been going strong for about a year so far.

so all that to say the Oculus is my recommendation.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's the whole light unit one, $600 ish, not just a bulb, right ?
Correct. Below is the link to their site, but you can always shop around for a deal, as many vendors carry them. I lucked out last year and stacked a coupon on top of a sale AutoAnything was having. Not sure they carry them any more, though. At the very least, @ORACLElights is a forum sponsor and I think they’d be able to provide you with a 10% off code if you message them.

https://www.oraclelights.com/products/oculus-bi-led

Here they are on my jeep

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I've spent so many hours trying to decide.
I'm ordering another JLU and should just order the LED group, but I just can't get over the super-inflated price on something that should come standard equipment on a vehicle in the Wranglers price range.

Screenshot_20211212-205246_DuckDuckGo.jpg

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've spent so many hours trying to decide.
I'm ordering another JLU and should just order the LED group, but I just can't get over the super-inflated price on something that should come standard equipment on a vehicle in the Wranglers price range.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU 2021 Headlight LED Upgrade Options (From Halogen)? Screenshot_20211212-205246_DuckDuckGo
if you’re ordering, I’d just get them. I bought mine off the lot so I didn’t have much of an option. I valued the cold weather group over LEDs since it’s harder to add that stuff later.

it would honestly be almost that much to replace both headlights and fogs with quality ones anyway. I agree, they should be standard, but you’ll be happier getting them from the factory.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Michael_LI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
if you’re ordering, I’d just get them.
I absolutely agree - in 2021, they should absolutelyt be standard, but the $1145+tax extra seemed crazy and LED isn't that important to me... but the reason it now matters is that the halogens are just so terrible - like REALLY bad. Maybe the round reflectors are the problem, needing too much lux to get a decent result but they have to be kept for the classic look of course...

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Extreme Recon, 2021 Toyota
I just installed the Beamtech bulbs in my 2021. Need to see how long they last now.

Beamtech on passenger side and factory halogen on driver’s.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU 2021 Headlight LED Upgrade Options (From Halogen)? 2B4F9FCD-9DBF-4018-BC9D-4B3DEADE121A

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the halogens are just so terrible - like REALLY bad.
This is why I tell everyone if you’re ordering to just get them (or expect to replace later). No one cares about LEDs until they get a jeep with halogens.

AlexM90

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 2021
I went with the Amazon LED bulb replacements for headlights, turn signals, side marker DRL's and fog lights. I'm happy with it so far. Had them in for a month now with no complaints. See before and after pictures.

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6582.jpg

IMG_6577.jpg

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
The Oracle headlights have a great cutoff so that you won't be blinding oncoming drivers like those who just buy replacement bulbs, and they claim you don't have to reprogram the wrangler for the LED switch. Halogen housings are not designed for LED bulbs.
Sponsored