Sponsored

JL vs JLU on value, safety, and practically

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
So yes people say single or just a couple, get the 2dr, while if kids or pets opt for the 4dr.

Even if your single, not towing, is the 4dr just more practical for the money? Safer to drive regularly at high speeds?

Haven’t driven a JLU yet, but for those who have, much difference in the ride? Granted the turns will not be as tight, but that’s a given.
Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
If you're just looking for safety and comfort, you're better off with something other than a Jeep. If you are planning to do any offroading, which type? Some trails are better for 2 door, some 4 door. Planning to flat tow? Tow something behind it? If so, that informs your choice, too. I decided on 2 door because no kids, just occasional grandkids, planning to flat tow, not planning to tow anything, most trails I plan to crawl are better for 2 door, and I like the traditional look of 2 door. YMMV.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
So yes people say single or just a couple, get the 2dr, while if kids or pets opt for the 4dr.

Even if your single, not towing, is the 4dr just more practical for the money? Safer to drive regularly at high speeds?

Haven’t driven a JLU yet, but for those who have, much difference in the ride? Granted the turns will not be as tight, but that’s a given.
I think you should clarify your question. Safety and practicality isn't really what a Jeep is all about. If that's your priority over off-road ability, get a Subaru.

To answer what I think you're asking, there are minor differences between the JL & JLU. But they're minor. The JLU will handle a little better on the highway due to the longer wheel base, but it's still a Jeep with a live front axle. Highway handling doesn't compare to a vehicle with IFS. There's more cargo space in the JLU and rear passengers have a much easier time. On the cons side, the JLU is larger, harder to maneuver in tight spots and easier to high center.

Ultimately when the smoke clears, both the JL and JLU are Jeeps, with all their strengths and weaknesses. You can find differences between them but when compared to other vehicles they will be rather similar.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
There's many 2dr vs. 4 dr. threads on the site, IMO it comes down to what you need. If you need the extra room get the 4dr, if you don't the 2dr should work for you. Take both for some extended drives since you haven't had a Jeep before, as they are definite differences in the way they handle, feel, and perform.

Always 2 doors for me, but there are plenty around here that it's only 4 doors for them so...................................................................................................................................................................

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I depends what else you have in your garage.

If Wrangler is your only vehicle, a 4-door may be more practical. If your other vehicle is some 4-door vehicle, a 2-door Wrangler makes a great addition.

My other vehicle is a 2-seat roadster, so a 4-door Wrangler makes more sense to me.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Of course it is more "practical" for normal life, even if you are single. You have friends don't you? 2 couples fit nicely in the JLU to go anywhere. In the 2-door not so much.

Cargo space behind rear seats goes from plentiful in the JLU to nearly non-existent in the 2-door.

On the other hand, the 2 door is more "practical" for some fun stuff - like removing a the top (smaller/lighter) and doors (1/2 as many).

Unless you have access to a second/larger vehicle, I'd say go 4-door. If the Jeep is just for fun and you have access to larger vehicles, then go 2-door if that is what you like.

Safety/handling differences are marginal. The JLU will handle a bit better due to the longer wheelbase, but it is not a massive difference.

I personally have a 4-door for the space and a bit of occasional towing. But I'd be happy to have a 2-door as well.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver

I have the JLU, I'm single with no kids and I don't go places with people. I got it purely because It's practical for my usage, I like to camp IN my jeep. The turn radius is still insanely good, I've never experienced a JL turn radius but Ive never had an issue with my JLU.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yes it’s a Jeep. Looking mainly with that at the wheelbase. Is there a noticeable difference in the 2 dr vs 4dr? Not looking at any towing.

If you're just looking for safety and comfort, you're better off with something other than a Jeep. If you are planning to do any offroading, which type? Some trails are better for 2 door, some 4 door. Planning to flat tow? Tow something behind it? If so, that informs your choice, too. I decided on 2 door because no kids, just occasional grandkids, planning to flat tow, not planning to tow anything, most trails I plan to crawl are better for 2 door, and I like the traditional look of 2 door. YMMV.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yes, you answered with what I was asking for. Thanks. 👍

I think you should clarify your question. Safety and practicality isn't really what a Jeep is all about. If that's your priority over off-road ability, get a Subaru.

To answer what I think you're asking, there are minor differences between the JL & JLU. But they're minor. The JLU will handle a little better on the highway due to the longer wheel base, but it's still a Jeep with a live front axle. Highway handling doesn't compare to a vehicle with IFS. There's more cargo space in the JLU and rear passengers have a much easier time. On the cons side, the JLU is larger, harder to maneuver in tight spots and easier to high center.

Ultimately when the smoke clears, both the JL and JLU are Jeeps, with all their strengths and weaknesses. You can find differences between them but when compared to other vehicles they will be rather similar.

Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I prefer a JLU, for one I'm the kind of person who may see something at a yardsale randomly, or spontaneously buy a dresser on sale, or pick up 5x 37s in the jeep. Plus I like to camp from time to time. Also, personally to me I like the looks of a JLU more. I don't think there's anything wrong with a 2Dr, just depends on your personal preference.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I'll echo what @davewald said above.

Sure, 4-doors sell and re-sell better. They are more practical for most people. People who may have hesitated about getting a 2-door Jeep are now able to be Jeep owners with a 4-door.

My TJ was a 2-door, and I thought Jeep was nuts when they introduced the 4-door. I found them to be ugly, stretched, and a departure from what a "true Jeep" is (a term I still use, and cannot defend). Obviously, time has shown the 4-doors to be 80% of today's Jeep sales, so my views are certainly not shared by the masses.

But, I'm still a bit of a traditionalist in my opinion and I still prefer the 2-door. My kids are grown and I have a quad cab Tundra for "practical" needs, so I am able to get another 2-door as my run-around toy ride. For me and my wife, 2- vs 4-door was never even in question. And, the rear seat will likely sit in the garage most of the time, so we will have the space for 'stuff'.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Totally agree on the practicality and in relation to other vehicles available in the market but looking solely at the comparison between the two and the four door.

I bought my JL as a toy to bomb around in. It's my 4th car. Practicality had nothing to do with it. If I was making a practical decision, I wouldn't have bought it at all.
Sponsored