Sponsored

JLU vs. JKU, and JLU Rubicon vs. JLU Sport

RXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Have been meaning to post this for a while. Long time jeep fan. Have owned multiple JKU's over the years including Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon. Bought a JLU Rubicon as soon as they hit the dealerships earlier this year and then bought a JLU Sport shortly thereafter. First, the JLU vs. JKU comparison - the transmission makes all the difference, at least here in Colorado with lots of mountain driving. My JK would hunt for gears going up and down mountain passes. The JL doesn't have this problem, and the manual drive mode is silky smooth and fun to use. This is the single biggest difference IMO and it is critical. All of the little details in the JL are nice too and altogether just make for a more upscale feel whether sport or rubi. i like that driver side airbag now standard. Love all the available safety features. Freedom panels much easier to get on and off. Doors are materially lighter. Love the LED's. The extra 2" in length doesn't sound like much but it does make a material difference in the day to day living with the JLU vs. JKU, particularly when folding seats.

As for Rubi vs. Sport - love them both, however the Rubi is just perfect stock. On my JK's, i had replaced the tires for the same ones that now come stock on the JL, as they are outstanding in the snow. Love the look of the new wheel. The wider and taller stance just look and feel great and are all i need. While the gearing in the rubi makes for better acceleration, the Sport isn't a slouch. Loving apple car play and with ios 12 update coming with Waze, this will be a key feature. Just cannot say enough positive things about the JLU's. Rubi and Sport are both great - really can't go wrong with either. Hope this helps!
Sponsored

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport JLU; 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie; 2019 Jeep Cherokee
I bought JLU sport for the transmission and it's a big difference