Sponsored

JL Tail light protection guards?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Your saying the LED tail lights just pop out? I was wondering how they attach. I am looking at ways to wire lights for flat towing. I do not want to attach to my existing wiring. I have always just added 2 new bulbs, etc.
@zb39

Here is a video that shows how to remove the JL tail light..

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Your saying the LED tail lights just pop out? I was wondering how they attach. I am looking at ways to wire lights for flat towing. I do not want to attach to my existing wiring. I have always just added 2 new bulbs, etc.
There is a T40 screw on the inside of the rear panel that has to be removed before they come out - it is only plastic not sure if you can rip them off without taking that off first

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Rhine and Swanny thanks for the info. Way easier than I thought. I will be installing my genesis dual battery setup this weekend.

Hoping I get a chance to mess with the tail lights.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not to bring negativity to this thread but I feel that tail light guards are more for style than protection. I think some of them look real nice but my question would be, "how much protection does it really bring?" I understand that replacing the tail light can be expensive but my thought process is this.... For minor tree branches that have some give it may prevent a crack in the tail light. But if you hit anything solid having a tail light guard will keep the plastic from breaking and push the light into the body of the Jeep causing body damage. I'm not opposed to them, I'm sure they may save your lights from a ball or light tree branch and that kind of stuff but if you hit anything solid something has to give.

Sponsored

Trailrider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Not to bring negativity to this thread but I feel that tail light guards are more for style than protection. I think some of them look real nice but my question would be, "how much protection does it really bring?" I understand that replacing the tail light can be expensive but my thought process is this.... For minor tree branches that have some give it may prevent a crack in the tail light. But if you hit anything solid having a tail light guard will keep the plastic from breaking and push the light into the body of the Jeep causing body damage. I'm not opposed to them, I'm sure they may save your lights from a ball or light tree branch and that kind of stuff but if you hit anything solid something has to give.
Apparently the tail lights can be pulled off pretty easily by a thief. The light guards may deter a thief.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
We have not tested it with this feature just yet, so slight changes made need to be made, but prior to bringing to market, we will make sure to address these!

Thank You
How about a set without the massive logo cutout. Plz

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
674B0DCF-0A1E-4609-9B52-EDAAABCA2D1B.jpeg

Price for: 2 led tail laights with blind monitor $700x2=$1400, then 2 connectors $220 each and $600 labor. Plus taxes. They pops out. The outer black plastic was turn and pice left inside.
Looking at the metal left it doesn't look like it would be too hard to make a simple cover plate and mount an round LED light to that. Never understood or liked how the later cj, yj tj, jk, and now jl lights stick out so much where they can be banged into and ripped off. Would like something cleaner like this

J13098.jpeg

wp-s924a.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

jk91199

First Name
Joann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Moab
@jeremyjeep

The comment that I made, was made a couple of weeks ago...

I did mention than that time would tell and the guards may be a no go.

Well, recently.. since my comment, I learned new info that makes we think just maybe, the guards may be a go.

I heard that even though the sensors are located within the lights, they aren’t a hard part of the lights. They sit on a bracket under the side of the light.

So, maybe because of this, the guards may be a go. As I said in that last post time will tell.

Would lights have to be changed out to include the guards?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
One-hundred thirty bucks... and full price ($144) on RR's site. DV8's are even more at $182. Yeesh... I thought $55 for the headlight guards was reasonable, but I'd rather wait for other taillight guard offerings.

Thank you for sharing, nonetheless.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I wonder if these help prevent taillight theft as well. Depends on how they attach, I suppose.
Sponsored