JL SAHARA BUILD HELP!

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
I have always wanted a Jeep wrangler and finally pulled the trigger on a JL SAHARA. Looking to this community for some advice/recommendations.

I ended up getting a SAHARA over the RUBICON as this vehicle will be my daily driver and I personally preferred the ride comfort, features, and options at the time. Although I will predominantly be using the Jeep on road, I am always looking for opportunities to take the vehicle offroading as any true Jeep should be.

As such, Iā€™m now looking to continue to build my primarily stock SAHRA with the ultimate goal of landing somewhere between the SAHARA and RUBICON in terms of on-road comfort, handling, and noise yet built for increased offroad capabilities. I understand this is often a balance that many jeep owners look to strike and am looking to see what others have done and any pros/cons.

I am currently thinking of 33ā€ BFG K02 Rubi takeoffs, potentially a leveling or spacer kit (~0.5-1ā€) for a little extra room in the wheel wells, and adding a Mopar steel bumper/skid plates for additional protection. I really donā€™t want to do the full lift kit on the vehicle as I donā€™t plan to run more than 33ā€ tires.

What do you think the best next steps and options would be for my Jeep given my ultimate goal? Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL JL SAHARA BUILD HELP! 3E048158-A140-4131-9B29-F96E5DBAC85F
Sponsored

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
Rubicon takeoff springs and shocks with 33s on those wheels or with Rubi takeoff wheels/tires is a great combo. I did that on my wifeā€™s Sahara and I actually think it looks better than my Rubicon. The 33s perfectly fill the fenders where the rubicon with raised fenders almost needs 35s to look right.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Pretty much the same boat here. Good luck. Starting with a custom light mount bar that works with the Sahara bumper. (Bumper later) Still shopping around for and exhaust and tires when the stocks wear out. Probably wont do much larger tires as I plan on running stock rims. No rock crawling here just snow and sand.

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
Rubicon takeoff springs and shocks with 33s on those wheels or with Rubi takeoff wheels/tires is a great combo. I did that on my wifeā€™s Sahara and I actually think it looks better than my Rubicon. The 33s perfectly fill the fenders where the rubicon with raised fenders almost needs 35s to look right.
That's exactly what I was thinking... 35s are almost a requirement with a Rubicon to fill those fenders...

Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
yeah if you can get take-off stuff from people upgrading rubicons, do it. rubicons have 1" lift springs / hd shocks/ etc. and 33's. that will be your most economical solution!
i doubt you will find take-off rubi axle sets, but you never know. you dont really need the dana 44's for road use or light offroad use anyways

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
yeah if you can get take-off stuff from people upgrading rubicons, do it. rubicons have 1" lift springs / hd shocks/ etc. and 33's. that will be your most economical solution!
i doubt you will find take-off rubi axle sets, but you never know. you dont really need the dana 44's for road use or light offroad use anyways
How do the Rubicon springs/shocks compare to the stock SAHARA? Don't want to compromise the smooth highway ride...

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
How does it drive compared to the stock SAHARA?
Ride quality is great, very similar to stock. Only issue was the gearing, it has a manual transmission and with the 33s she could no longer use 6th and rarely 5th.
Just had it regeared to 4.10s and that fixed the gearing issue.
If you have an auto trans, it would probably be fine with stock gears.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Rubicon suspension if you want 1" lift (might be slightly stiffer - there's no clear answer on stiffness between the two) or dystar 3/4" lift spacers.

I have both options to put on this summer, will see which I like better.

I think changing bumper and grill inincetts from silver to charcoal grey (Rubicon spec) makes it more aggressive. Rubicon wheels/tires are usually overpriced, might able to something aftermarket that looks better and close to same price.

My Sahara still sits on stock suspension.

20201003_132503.jpg

Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
How do the Rubicon springs/shocks compare to the stock SAHARA? Don't want to compromise the smooth highway ride...
the rubicons ride smoothly. no rough riding. the springs are taller, not stiffer, if that makes sense. the shocks are longer, but not stiffer.

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
Rubicon suspension if you want 1" lift (might be slightly stiffer - there's no clear answer on stiffness between the two) or dystar 3/4" lift spacers.

I have both options to put on this summer, will see which I like better.

I think changing bumper and grill inincetts from silver to charcoal grey (Rubicon spec) makes it more aggressive. Rubicon wheels/tires are usually overpriced, might able to something aftermarket that looks better and close to same price.

My Sahara still sits on stock suspension.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL SAHARA BUILD HELP! 799C48A8-0A05-45A1-9956-5A62355E78E6
Can you give me more details on your build?? Tire size, lift, other upgrades? I love the stance!

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
the rubicons ride smoothly. no rough riding. the springs are taller, not stiffer, if that makes sense. the shocks are longer, but not stiffer.
This is really helpful, just don't want to compromise the ride I currently love!

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
Ride quality is great, very similar to stock. Only issue was the gearing, it has a manual transmission and with the 33s she could no longer use 6th and rarely 5th.
Just had it regeared to 4.10s and that fixed the gearing issue.
If you have an auto trans, it would probably be fine with stock gears.
I have 3.6L V6, 8-Speed Automatic, Anti Spin Diff, Slec Trac 4WD, Dana 44 Rear
Sponsored