Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.....Geesh, the media tells us what to fear and Jeep frame replacements aren't it right now.
Yeah, we were supposed to be afraid of the frame (specifically the welds) back in 2018. Keep up with the times folks.

↑↑↑ Kidding everyone. Just running with the previous humor.
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I wasn’t unscathed, but hoping to get back to normal sooner than later.

35” and 2.5” is probably as big as I’ll go for daily driving. My wife already complains it’s too high. Haha

That's funny, my wife wants hers lifted, but I prefer to keep mine stock height (for now). ;)

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
The CarFax will make you cry when you want to sell it. A frame repaired Rubicon will be read as some yo-yo took this off a cliff to show his buddies how great a driver he was and it was crushed. You'll be lucky to only lose $10,000. I'm so sorry!

Clark County should only allow women to drive with a man walking in front of them waving a red flag.

I had a beautiful Porsche Cayman S I bought from a M-B dealer. When I went to sell it, I ran a CarFax and discovered CarFax had added a report of 'damage' after I had bought it. Nothing I could do. It was in a sand storm and had been professionally polished - that was the 'damage'. I lost several thousand dollars because of the CarFax branding.

Doesn't CarFax have a buyback policy you could implement?

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Couple new pics from today.

The new frame is on the lift next to this one. Suspension all mounted up and new steering components going on. Engine and tranny swap is tomorrow. Hope to have it back Tuesday of next week.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Frame Replacement Process & Pics 95447487-1BF6-4620-964F-0A1EB56D32E8
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Frame Replacement Process & Pics 306F401A-D1B6-4705-9284-3A66A997D29E

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Have them add some Rockrails that use the body bolts!!!! Breaking those bolts would be the least of the problems at this point!!!!! LOL.

Sponsored

captnjbk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon. 2017 Moto Guzzi V7.
That's funny, my wife wants hers lifted, but I prefer to keep mine stock height (for now). ;)
My wife told me she wanted hers lifted.
I did 35s, wheels, 3" lift, new rails.
Brought it home and showed it to her.
She informed me she meant her boobs.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Doesn't CarFax have a buyback policy you could implement?
I don't think so. All that covers is if they don't list a "branded" title. As best I can tell that is essentially a salvage title meaning it was totaled, flood loss, fire, etc. There are also stipulations which include when the report was run, and who issued the title.

Couple new pics from today.
Man that would be the perfect time to put on a 1.25" body lift. Very subtle, but a little extra height. Although I know a lot of people don't like that sort of thing.

Anyway, I really like that they're sharing pictures with you. Not something a lot of shops will do. It really makes them seem more trustworthy.

Last edited:

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Where did that dirt on the frame rail come from? A new frame, right?

I was under the assumption the repair was going to use OEM new parts, not a frame from a wrecking yard. The donor Jeep may have been totaled and the crash didn't affect the frame, but my radar would be up about a used frame.

Last edited:

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Make sure to file a diminished value claim.

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
That is also a good point. If you get nailed with a car fax hit, does your insurance go down because the value of the vehicle is certain to be decreased. Would you buy a car that had a major trauma, not me. So you are basically getting screwed in more than one way. Your frame will never be the same and could cost you plenty down the road and your insurance probably went up. And you will never be able to sell the car for the fair market value because of previous damage? I think I would have issue with this and speak to an advisor of some sort..I would love to hear that conversation.

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Where did that dirt on the frame rail come from? A new frame, right?

I was under the assumption the repair was going to use OEM new parts, not a frame from a wrecking yard. The donor Jeep may have been totaled and the crash didn't affect the frame, but my radar would be up about a used frame.
Thats the old frame. I didn’t take any pictures of the new frame. The engine and tranny should have been swapped over to the new frame today.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Thats the old frame. I didn’t take any pictures of the new frame. The engine and tranny should have been swapped over to the new frame today.
Thanks... I'll be able to sleep

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Last estimate I saw was around $17k. It’s a 2020 with 1,200 miles on it. It really wasn’t even close to a total loss.
I had a argument with the dealer, when someone bent my frame on my JKU. My argument started with the frame was bent. I had to pay them to put it on the rack,then I found out it was officaly bent. The frame was diamond.
One of the arguments, was about the auto transmission, how that was affected with the inpack.
I was such a pain in the ahole, that they totaled it. Got my 2019 leftover for 37, six grand off list.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Frame Replacement Process & Pics 2015 jeep1

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Frame Replacement Process & Pics jeep 2015 2

Last edited:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Question, what would the Carfax show on something like this?
Funny story:
I bought a 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona. "Clear" Carfax, we'll say 60k mi. in 2011. Had it for ~2 years. I got into a Fender bender in October 2012. While in for work, I had one of the body techs take a look at unrelated damage on the rear driver quarter panel, Big dent right down to the paint. While he's doing the estimate, he calls me over and shows me inside the trunk and asks:
"Have you had work done on this area before?"
No, why?
"Because this area's been repaired before. Look, you can see behind the trunk liner that it's been pounded out with a hammer, and if you look out here, you can see a slight variation in the paint. There's filler right here. It's good work, there's no issues, but it's definitely been repaired, maybe from the door panel all the way back to the trunk."

I was LIVID, but the dealer had closed at that point so there really wasn't much I could do other than eat it and deal.

Moral of the story: Carfax doesn't pick up EVERY incident. And it's kind of a scam because if you follow the rules and report it, you'll get dinged when you sell, and there isn't much you can do even if the vehicle is 100% normal again. Likewise, people can skate around reporting and Carfax can come back "clean" and you'll still have a damaged/ repaired vehicle. This is EXACTLY why I don't 100% trust Carfax anymore.

I think people are confusing two key things here: structurally normal vs. what insurance sees (which is also kind of BS). I believe someone else said it: they're parts that are bolted together; There is no "magic" that happens when it is assembled at the factory. Yes, there are things you need to be mindful of when being repaired, but 9/10 if the shop you're using for the repair is legit, it will be the same, no issues. The problem is insurance companies (and, likewise, Carfax) can't quantify that and they judge everything by the lowest common denominator, meaning your Jeep is now irreparably damaged- Which is what a lot of the "it will never be the same" crowd is shouting about.
The irony in this, of course, is that the insurance company will total something out and send it to Auction to recoup. Someone will buy it, retitle it (depending on the locale) and sell it for a profit, or use it until it stops working. It won't matter, because unless it's been completely burned out or twisted into a pretzel- the vehicle will keep on working. My ex drove an 01 XJ that was repaired but permanently tweaked because of a major rear end collision-Her parents bought it like that, and it had no real issues other than fitment of parts, etc when we were working on the suspension.

That said: This post is fascinating, and I'm sure the OP is getting it fixed and the Jeep will be 100% normal again. The shop looks pretty dope and I wish we had any sort of car dealer that had a shop like that around here.
Sponsored