Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
This is a great reminder and example of why I never ! ever ! buy used. That Jeep will never be the same.
Why would you say that?? As long as the damaged parts are replaced, not repaired, and the brand new frame is straight, there should be no issues. I could understand your point, if they just tried to straighten the frame, and salvage the axle.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Why would you say that?? As long as the damaged parts are replaced, not repaired, and the brand new frame is straight, there should be no issues. I could understand your point, if they just tried to straighten the frame, and salvage the axle.
It cannot be the same. The best evidence of that is insurance companies. I had a paltry rear-end collision requiring a simple re-square on the front-back beam. No repair company would touch it. Why? Liability. I absolutely wish this repair is flawless, but I am not confident that it can be. IMHO

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I think you’re probably right. I’m not anxious to dump it anyway.

That said, the dealership is Jeep Only in Las Vegas and the parts and service team have been excellent. Adam is the parts manager, and has been my contact person, and has done a great job by me so far.
Isn't this the dealer that does custom work on new showroom stuff?

If so, I would be 100% confident they can handle the task. Their hardly what I would consider "low rate". I am willing to bet this is not the first time they have done this. It's in vegas jeep dealer. It's not at the kia dealer.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This is a great reminder and example of why I never ! ever ! buy used. That Jeep will never be the same.
Taking the body off a Jeep looks scary and involved to the not mechanically inclined but I can assure you it’s really not that big of a deal.

Sponsored

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Taking the body off a Jeep looks scary and involved to the not mechanically inclined but I can assure you it’s really not that big of a deal.
It's not a big deal. They have to pull the cab on all the new diesel trucks to do extensive engine work. Toyota replaced hundreds of thousands of frames on trucks. As long as the guy doing the work is good, I'd have no qualms about it.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I am very mechanically inclined. It’s a big deal. Wait and see the number of labor hours billed. Plus how many times it comes back.
Of course I don’t really care because my jeep is home safe. The Jeep dealers can’t do an oil change correctly. We’ve established that beyond a shadow of doubt. “Not big deal” Lol
That jeep will never be the same.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I am very mechanically inclined. It’s a big deal. Wait and see the number of labor hours billed. Plus how many times it comes back.
Of course I don’t really care because my jeep is home safe. The Jeep dealers can’t do an oil change correctly. We’ve established that beyond a shadow of doubt. “Not big deal” Lol
You're counting hours billed as complexity. It's not related. Taking the body of a frame is not complex.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Last estimate I saw was around $17k. It’s a 2020 with 1,200 miles on it. It really wasn’t even close to a total loss.
and being a Recon thats a pricey jeep so the repair is nowhere near the limit for totaling it out.
hopefully they do a good job on it for you.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
You're counting hours billed as complexity. It's not related. Taking the body of a frame is not complex.
Let’s make predictions on the TOTAL number of hours billed and number of come backs See who’s closer.
Remember. Every system has been opened. Air conditioning system, coolant system, brake system. They’re changing axles , Suspension, Alignment, Recharging air conditioning, bleeding brakes, coolant systems , filling axles. Electrical. The body will have to be re-shimmed for the new frame, gas tank fuel systems clips and bolts need to be swapped. The only pieces that won’t be touched is the interior. Thats a large number of total hour.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Let’s make predictions on the TOTAL number of hours billed See who’s closest.
Remember. Every system has been opened. Air conditioning system, coolant system, brake system. They’re changing axles. Alignment, Recharging air conditioning bleeding brakes coolant systems , filling axles. Electrical. The body will have to be re-shimmed for the new frame, gas tank fuel systems clips and bolts need to be swapped. The only pieces that won’t be touched is the interior. Thats a large number of total hour.
You've mentioned a lot of stuff, but you didn't mention anything hard to do. Yes, it will be a lot of hours. No, it's not hard stuff to do. In fact nearly everything you mentioned could be done in my driveway.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
You've mentioned a lot of stuff, but you didn't mention anything hard to do. Yes, it will be a lot of hours. No, it's not hard stuff to do. In fact nearly everything you mentioned could be done in my driveway.
Wait , so now you changed your story from it won’t be a lot of hours to it will be a lot hours but it’s very easy driveway stuff?
Yes this will be the perfect used jeep for you. I’m done and moving on you have no mechanical aptitude. Like trying to explain to an ant how a television works.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Wait , so now you changed your story from it won’t be a lot of hours to it will be a lot hours but it’s very easy driveway stuff?
Yes this will be the perfect used jeep for you. I’m done and moving on you have no mechanical aptitude. Like trying to explain to an ant how a television works.
Didn't change my story. I was simply pointing out that you said it would be complex based on hour many hours they billed. I was saying that hours billed has nothing to do with complexity.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Would agree with the majority of people here that this really isn’t as invasive or sensitive with a wrangler vs other vehicles. If the shop knows what they are doing there is little to no issues. If it was a car sub frame that’s a whole different story.

I had an Escape that was rear ended on the driver side while parked on the side of the road. Guy was going 40ish and the sun was in his eyes, he didn’t even see my car. Major repair to sub frame. All went well post repair and had no issues at all.

Also had a Tacoma get the frame replacement a few years back, had zero issues. Drove great and never had to take it back.

Assuming the dealer this is at has a body shop as well and this is why they are taking on the job. Which means they probably understand the needs for the replacement and are good to go.

Hopefully OP was able to get a loss of value payment since the accident shows up on car fax and residual/trade value took a hit.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I've done it. It's not a big deal. I am not a mechanic by trade and never have been.
Sponsored