JK or JL Analysis to Paralysis---Help!

Lecroj

First Name
Jon L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB JLU, 2012 MDX, 2010 Mini
If you are willing to drive a bit, you can probably find 2018 model JLs still on the lot and get 10+% off sticker. I just got about 12% off on a 2018 MOAB.
I just pulled up Hendrick Auto in Charlotte and all their 2018 JL Sports are $6K+ off MSRP and the Sport S are $4500 off and that's whats on their website before haggling. Good luck!
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
JL Saharas with Selec-Trac (4auto) are actually the least problematic of the bunch, since they have CV joints and with that you just ducked the entire wheel shimmy/death wobble/steering wander debacle.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
"JL Saharas with Selec-Trac (4auto) are actually the least problematic of the bunch, since they have CV joints and with that you just ducked the entire wheel shimmy/death wobble/steering wander debacle."

Can you explain further?

JLRoachicon

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
The beauty is that you you will have a wrangler!!! I have had a 13 JK and loved it, but I can’t believe how much more I love my JL. Definitely a smoother ride even with 37’s over the 35’s on my JK. I drive mine daily and enjoy it every time. You won’t be sorry with either but the JL is leaps and bounds ahead now, the interior, the infotainment, the audio. The dash display alone is awesome.
Good luck and welcome back!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
"JL Saharas with Selec-Trac (4auto) are actually the least problematic of the bunch, since they have CV joints and with that you just ducked the entire wheel shimmy/death wobble/steering wander debacle."

Can you explain further?
There are evidence that malfunctioning u joints are one of the causes of the death wobble/wheel shimmy effect. Or that the u-joint itself may induce abnormal wear on steering components when driven hard and vice versa. Many death wobbles are fixed by just swapping to a CV joint axle.

While the U-joint is more heavy duty, the CV joint is a refined version of the U-joint. Designed to help eliminate the variation in angular velocity, it allows movement for sharper angles, providing a tighter turning radius and making the vehicle more maneuverable.

The CV joint is "designed so that when it bends the balls are always positioned at the midway point inside the joint. This eliminates the cyclic variations in speed that a U-joint experiences when it operates at more than a few degrees off-centre."

CV joints allow the wheels to be driven and steered smoothly unlike an U-joint. An U-joint tends to speed up and slow down as the angle of the joint is increased. This is because an U-joint transmits power through an “X”, pivoting on only 2 axis, up-and-down and side-to-side. A CV joint powers and pivots through multiple points on the front drive axles. This smoothes out the power flow and reduces vibration. CV joints do not cause restrictions during angle changes as compared to U-joints, in which the wheel rotation rate may speed up and slow down as the steering wheel is turned. This causes a chattering sensation to be felt in the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Thanks! Since ours won't see any serious off-roading, I'm glad I ordered the Select-Trac.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say JL as well, I currently own a CJ7 and a JK but for a DD I'd go with an Unlimited. Up here in Canada the difference in price between the Unlimited Sport S and Sahara is not much and one dealer is listing a web price that is actually slightly lower for the Sahara JLU.

Someone commented about the CV joints on the Sahara and death wobble, I suspect it's more likely that the Sahara as less aggressive tread than the Rubicon and that is why there is less of a problem with those JLs. Although I haven't come across any data to support this though most of the problem threads seem to be from Rubicon owners. Still would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between model/tire tread and frequency of problems.

Flip side is any 2018 JK's still sitting around are likely to get discounted more than the JL so if cost is a big factor but can you live with the older model? Also on a new 2018 you might get a very attractive interest rate for financing on the older models. Jeep resale value at least up here is very high on JK and JL's so either is probably going to be a good bet.

Problems with death wobble.... I suspect your CJ7 probably had that if you swapped in more aggressive off road tires so you probably would also swap in a heavier duty steering stabilizer. Ive done this with every Jeep I've owned, CJ5, CJ7 and the JK and when I finally buy a JL Unlimited and swap tires that will be the first modification I make. I personally think a lot of the JL's problems are with the stock stabilizer.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I'm sure you've all been driven mad with this question already and I've enjoyed reading some of the threads, however, I can't help but post and ask for myself.

I currently own a Subaru Forester but my first car was a Jeep CJ7 Laredo, which I loved, and which also taught me how to work on cars. :)

I'm looking for a daily driver that can become a convertible, room for runs to Home Depot and lots of driving fun with the nieces. I don't imagine doing a lot of off-road, except for the occasional backroad and snow. I'm looking for something to drive to work in and take the roof off for a fun drive home on Fridays.

I have been researching the JL over the JK to a point where I know too much and am about to go insane.

I love, love, love the JL! I rented a JK for the day and loved that too, but the JL is amazing. However, my concern is first couple of years release JL versus last year release of JK for having all the bugs worked out and less hassle/trouble free...ish motoring.

For my budget, which is about 36k, should I buy a 2018 JK Sahara or a 2019 Sport S with a few options? I'm a maintenance geek so my cars get spoiled by being over-maintained and never driven disrespectfully, but I do like to have fun.

Help! I'm going mad. LOL

Thank you all so much.
I had a JK sport, which I loved. I needed to do some things like aftermarket radio and back up camera, but all and all, the JK was great.
The JL is better in nearly every measurable way though. Its more quite, its more comfortable, it gets better mileage with the 8 speed, navigation is 1 million times better, tech inside is better. It costs a lot more, but it is way better than the JK.
If you can afford it, get a JL. If not, then don't buy one. You will still be happy with a JK. Never buy something you need to stretch to afford. It will be harder to enjoy it and you are only making stress for yourself.
Hell, I even loved my old TJ unlimted. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned.
Again, my advise.. Dont stretch your budget. There are few things which can suck the happiness out of a man's life like financial stress.

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
This shouldn’t be a real question. The JL is a massive leap forward, and the lingering notion that somehow there are legitimate reasons to buy a JK over a new JL for similar pricing (besides baseless dogma preached by JK owners still waiting to make the upgrade) will soon be exposed as nonsense and I expect the JK market to soften significantly. Anyone who thinks they can get $36k for a JK Sahara is delusional and is in for a big surprise if they don’t sell it for a market clearing price ASAP.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This shouldn’t be a real question. The JL is a massive leap forward, and the lingering notion that somehow there are legitimate reasons to buy a JK over a new JL for similar pricing (besides baseless dogma preached by JK owners still waiting to make the upgrade) will soon be exposed as nonsense and I expect the JK market to soften significantly. Anyone who thinks they can get $36k for a JK Sahara is delusional and is in for a big surprise if they don’t sell it for a market clearing price ASAP.
One of the big selling points for a new JK is the much lower price tag.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I'm looking for something to drive to work in and take the roof off for a fun drive home on Fridays.
If it makes a difference, the operation of the JL soft top is a big improvement, as are door removal and wind shield lowering.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I don't imagine doing a lot of off-road, except for the occasional backroad and snow. .

C'mon, neighbor...we don't get that much snow down here for that to even be considered. ;)

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Do you really want to buy a vehicle in March of 2019 that was designed in, and has the interior and tech of a vehicle designed in 2007?
Sponsored