JK or JL Analysis to Paralysis---Help!

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S. Silver/Tan
I'm sure you've all been driven mad with this question already and I've enjoyed reading some of the threads, however, I can't help but post and ask for myself.

I currently own a Subaru Forester but my first car was a Jeep CJ7 Laredo, which I loved, and which also taught me how to work on cars. :)

I'm looking for a daily driver that can become a convertible, room for runs to Home Depot and lots of driving fun with the nieces. I don't imagine doing a lot of off-road, except for the occasional backroad and snow. I'm looking for something to drive to work in and take the roof off for a fun drive home on Fridays.

I have been researching the JL over the JK to a point where I know too much and am about to go insane.

I love, love, love the JL! I rented a JK for the day and loved that too, but the JL is amazing. However, my concern is first couple of years release JL versus last year release of JK for having all the bugs worked out and less hassle/trouble free...ish motoring.

For my budget, which is about 36k, should I buy a 2018 JK Sahara or a 2019 Sport S with a few options? I'm a maintenance geek so my cars get spoiled by being over-maintained and never driven disrespectfully, but I do like to have fun.

Help! I'm going mad. LOL

Thank you all so much.
Sponsored

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
I'm new to Wranglers (a few friends have JKs I have driven, modded and stock) but here's my $0.02 .

First off, based on a few of your own key words:
"Daily driver" - absolutely as long as you can accept below avg fuel economy.
"Convertible" - how many choices are there?....take the doors off too, while you're at it :)
"Home Depot run" - loads of space in either 2 or 4 door with rear seat down. Take the roof off and there is virtually no height restriction.

Jk's are great but the JLs are an improvement, to some degree, in almost each and every aspect. Especially with respect to interior features and technology.

5-10 years from now (if you keep it this long) do you want a Jeep with 2007 technology or 2019 technology?

Also, if you decide to sell in just a few short years, which one do you think will sell easiest?

Cheers!

edit:
I also meant to say, many of the little bugs and glitches and issues you are seeing reported for the JL are carryovers from the JK. Defroster wires off, steering shimmy, wobble, windshield cracks easy...yada yada...and its really very much the minority.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The JL hands down. Better mileage, Better ride. Awesome 8 speed automatic. The electronics are way better. In reality there are not a lot of problems. You only read about people bitching, There are already thousands and thousands on the road and you never hear from the one that are having zero problems. Plus there is warranty to take care of stuff anyways.

Love my JLUR.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
First of all, welcome. A few notes here.
1. The biggest difference from the JK to the JL was in on-road comfort. Since you are planning on this being your DD vehicle, I would seriously factor in that. One could argue that the JK/JL were similar in offroad capability, but the JL's giant jump forward was in on-road comfort.
2. Resale. As previously posted, the JL will be the "current" version of the Wrangler for the next 9-10 years. The JK is already the 'old model'. Therefore I expect the JL will hold its value better.
3. Risks about defects. People love to say that there is a risk of buying a new model. And 20 years ago that might have been true. But before the first JL rolled off an assembly line, engineers had put over 5 MILLION test miles on JL test vehicles. Therefore it's safe to say they've worked out most of the kinks. And if you decide to go with the 3.6 V6 pentastar engine, that is the same engine that has been used in Wranglers since '13, as well as numerous other Dodge & Ram vehicles. FCA has manufactured over 6 million pentastar engines, and it's generally extremely reliable.

Obviously it's your money, go with the vehicle that is right for you. But since you are asking for insight, I'd recommend going with the JL.

snowren24

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2007 Acura TL-S, 2013 Triumph Street Triple
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yorkie3621

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, guys. I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Can't wait for my JLU, just gotta sell my Forester and I'm heading into the cage fighting arena known as the forecourt of a dealership. Let's get ready to rumble!!

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I agree with what everyone else has said, thus far.
I'll say this. How much do you 'value' your vehicles? I ask because the JL is better in every way and that coincides with the higher cost. If you view the Jeep with passion and love, get the JL. There is no debate on this. You will regret it later. However, if you want a basic appliance get the JK. It will get the job done and still be a blast to drive.
I had a deposit down on a JK order when I got word of the JL. I cancelled the JK order and waited for the JL. I figured FCA could not F up the JL too bad. And they didn't. The JL is a vast improvement on the JK.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto

Can't wait for my JLU, just gotta sell my Forester and I'm heading into the cage fighting arena known as the forecourt of a dealership. Let's get ready to rumble!!
Snag a quote from CarMax to leverage, if your trading.
Welcome back to the club. Now the waiting....

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)

Regarding your new purchase, there are some dealers in the DC area who are offering 6+% below invoice on JL's. I realize that's a bit of a hike for you, but no undriveable. May be worth the trip to save a couple thousand. More about this on the Ordering & Pricing forum.

OP
OP
Yorkie3621

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Columbus104

Thank you! I don't mind the hike if I can get a deal or more of a Jeep for the money. I reached out to Lustine Dodge Jeep Ram early in the week and they seemed like they had good offers, any you would recommend?

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
And if you decide to go with the 3.6 V6 pentastar engine, that is the same engine that has been used in Wranglers since '13
The 2012-18 JK's used a different 3.6 engine, which have been known to have head issues. Which hopefully were solved on the Gen 2 that debuted in the 2016 Grand Cherokee/Durango before Wrangler finally got the new Pentastar in the 2018 JL.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
JL all the way. So much better in every way than my JK. If you want a DD and have snow then consider the automatic 4wd option for a true hassle free awd snow driving.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The JL is superior (when they work) in every way to a JK. The problems JL's are having are also very real. Mine has been in the shop for roughly 6-7 weeks now in the first year of ownership.

Lecroj

First Name
Jon L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB JLU, 2012 MDX, 2010 Mini
Columbus104

Thank you! I don't mind the hike if I can get a deal or more of a Jeep for the money. I reached out to Lustine Dodge Jeep Ram early in the week and they seemed like they had good offers, any you would recommend?
If you are willing to drive a bit, you can probably find 2018 model JLs still on the lot and get 10+% off sticker. I just got about 12% off on a 2018 MOAB.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Ummmm... did anyone mention the JL is MUCH better as a DD? ;)

J/K... not much I can add to what others have already said. We use our JLUR as a DD with zero regrets. Given your goals you might want to consider finding a '18 JL Sahara. With the '19's already on the lots you might find some decent deals on the '18s.
Sponsored