ppfingsten

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
1A2D9518-9ECD-4D64-9B36-6B780CF5A3FF.jpeg
Do not wait to take it in. I made that mistake and it left me stranded with no warning. It will be fine one minute and then this will appear.
Sponsored

ppfingsten

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute crap this is even an issue on a brand new vehicle, especially electrical issues early on.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Absolute crap this is even an issue on a brand new vehicle, especially electrical issues early on.
get over it just have to adapt and TRY to be patient,that’s why it’s warranty. it literally happens every day on numerous other company’s also. Literally just junk made batteries when it comes down to it. It sucks but it is what it is unfortunately

ppfingsten

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
get over it just have to adapt and TRY to be patient,that’s why it’s warranty. it literally happens every day on numerous other company’s also. Literally just junk made batteries when it comes down to it. It sucks but it is what it is unfortunately
Yea, just get over it... really? Spend tons of money on a vehicle, than it leaves you stranded, and then have to pay for a rental car. Awesome :)

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yea, just get over it... really? Spend tons of money on a vehicle, than it leaves you stranded, and then have to pay for a rental car. Awesome :)
Yes really it sucks at the moment but what else are you going to do? And that sucks paying for rental, maybe find higher tier dealer where fca covers rental then? Yeah there’s nothing worse than spending 30-55+ grand and having it strand you 8k miles later... it’s just what is happening. I’ve literally witnessed 20+ brand new gmc models been dropped off at a lot and then have the sales floor scrambling because 18 or so with 0-4miles on them are literally dead. Then it gets even more fun when you realize there’s NO ETA because each said car company is aware of said issue and can’t come up with enough to fix each issue quick enough which makes it damn near impossible to get new and GOOD batteries. Yeah we all expect better than that but if you take a step back and realize you’ve also just went out and bought a new first year made model it’s going to have its issues and it’s going to be frustrating but all you can do it roll with it

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Update - after 2 hours on charger the jeep started up just fine. been driving it around today no problem. twix bars for all who got that one right! will schedule battery diagnostic (hopefully replace) with dealer whenever they call me back. thanks to all who helped!

After thoughts... In what reality does a drained battery cause the vehicle to flip out, console to flash, turn on the wipers, fail to turn off or on properly? Isn't this counter intuitive or the opposite to what should have happened - dead jeep with no starting? I can't imagine if this had happened beyond my garage where I didn't have a tools handy to disconnect the battery. I guess wiper motor would have eventually drained the rest of the battery and it would have shut off. I will need several beers to ponder and accept this new reality....
I've got wingnuts on both my negative battery cables so I can disconnect them without tools. Until you get it to the dealer, I would keep the batteries charging when at home. If they are dead when you take it to the dealer, they will have to charge them before they can test them. Until then, I would also use the jumper and disconnect the aux ground cable when driving, running just on the main battery as long as it's a good battery. You should probably remove the jumper when you get to the dealer, so they don't blame it for the battery problem.

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I told myself 17 years ago I'd never buy a first year make/model/redesign after buying a first year in the US 2002 WRX cuz they always have bugs but couldn't resist the JL sexiness. While I still think this whole situation over a battery is a bit absurd I'm not overly worked up about it. I expected to have some issues and count myself fortunate that the issues I have had really aren't all that bad (compared to some stories on here). Its under warranty and I still have that WRX to get me to work so mostly I can just deal.

Good tips on disabling ESS until replaced and getting battery wing nuts. Happen to remember what size wing nut you got?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I told myself 17 years ago I'd never buy a first year make/model/redesign after buying a first year in the US 2002 WRX cuz they always have bugs but couldn't resist the JL sexiness. While I still think this whole situation over a battery is a bit absurd I'm not overly worked up about it. I expected to have some issues and count myself fortunate that the issues I have had really aren't all that bad (compared to some stories on here). Its under warranty and I still have that WRX to get me to work so mostly I can just deal.

Good tips on disabling ESS until replaced and getting battery wing nuts. Happen to remember what size wing nut you got?
Believe it or not, this is not the first year for the dual battery ESS, it was already being used on other FCA vehicles. Looks like M8-1.25 and M6-1.0 for the ground cable wingnuts.

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Looked over similar threads but hard to tell if my situation matches. Looking for ideas on what to do next...

1) Tried remote start - didn't work but lights flashed
2) Got in jeep, pressed button - dash says "key fob not in vehicle"
3) Got 2nd key fob, pressed button - dash says "key fob not in vehicle"
4) Press fob into button per dash instruction - no change in OFF to ACC or RUN and still won't start
5) Tried a few more combos of things with no luck - suddenly dash looses is mind (see video below)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vn9Dve7vK375d7gc6
6) Completely non-responsive, won't shut off, wipers going, dash flashing. wtf?

Had to get to work, can't leave it like this, pulled positive lead on battery, and at least the dash & wipers stopped moving. Hoping I get home, reconnect battery and all is good - or my ESS battery will be drained and dead. Fortunately my 17yro WRX still starts...

Additional details...
Tazer JL installed
Just got it back from dealer oil change and recall for steering stabilizer. Drove it home and parked it for 3 days.
Had re-married the Tazer and reset tire size & tpms settings.

Don't really want to blame dealer for an oil change or tazer for being a tazer but that's the recent changes.

Any ideas on where to troubleshoot before calling dealer or potentially even getting it towed there?

Thanks!
Sounds like one of the batteries failed on you. JMHO

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I just had my main and aux batteries replaced under warranty at 32k miles on my 2018 JLU Sport. First sign of trouble was the auto start/stop was acting up (I usually disable it, but since the vehicle doesn't remember the disabled setting, sometimes I forget). When it started to say "Start/Stop not active battery protection mode" I decided I'd better take it in to have the batteries looked at, but the next day (before I made it into the dealer), while the car started fine in the morning, it wouldn't start when I needed to pick my daughter up from school in the afternoon.

The good news is that I didn't need a jump start, I just needed someone to push me out of my garage while I sat ready to pop the clutch once I started backing down the driveway slope. I was slightly concerned that the pushbutton start would somehow prevent starting by popping the clutch, but thankfully it works just like a regular keyed ignition (assuming you have enough battery power for the push button to activate the "on/drive" position). I drove straight to the dealership at that point, and sure enough, both main and aux batteries tested bad. Covered under warranty (barely -- if this had happened 2 or 3 months later it would have been too late for warranty coverage).

I guess next time I'm on my own for buying the batteries.

Sponsored

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
I had a similar issue. Went to work parked my vehicle in our multi-story parking lot for 9 hours. Came back to the car after work and realized the battery was completely dead. Left the Rubicon in the garage overnight, attempted to have road side assistance come in and help the next day. They came and guy brought in little jumper box, maybe good enough to charge my Samsung galaxy s10 plus with 4000mah battery. That was complete fail and wasted 2 hours waiting for him. Called Jeep again to get a tow-truck to come get it. The tow-truck companies all refused since its multistory garage, no tow company wanted to come in due to height restrictions. Private tow companies also refused, eventually I had one guy show up and he jumped started it so I can get it out of the garage. Thankfully that worked, $125 later, I was on my way to local dealer. Got the battery replaced, no loaner of-course, since car was not purchased there. This incident happened 3 weeks ago.

Fast forward to today, I have not driven the car for about week as I was out of town. Get to vehicle and battery dead again. I never owned a jeep and this is getting annoying honestly. The car is 6 months old with 3,700 miles and has electrical issues. Anyone know what might be the problem? The only thing I have connected to it,is black-vue dual dashcam and battery pack. The battery pack kills all power to camera after not having enough charge. Prior to owning the Wrangler, I had a 2016 bmw and it never had issues with this setup. Any help would be great. thanks.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Not a dealer issue TAZER that people love so much.
Now call the dealer and hope they don't find any left over Tazer info.
#1 warranty killer

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm astounded anyone would be anywhere in a vehicle that's not a rental and think they wouldn't be carrying tools to disconnect a couple battery cables. And I keep a basic DMM in the glovebox of EVERY vehicle I own....

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar issue. Went to work parked my vehicle in our multi-story parking lot for 9 hours. Came back to the car after work and realized the battery was completely dead. Left the Rubicon in the garage overnight, attempted to have road side assistance come in and help the next day. They came and guy brought in little jumper box, maybe good enough to charge my Samsung galaxy s10 plus with 4000mah battery. That was complete fail and wasted 2 hours waiting for him. Called Jeep again to get a tow-truck to come get it. The tow-truck companies all refused since its multistory garage, no tow company wanted to come in due to height restrictions. Private tow companies also refused, eventually I had one guy show up and he jumped started it so I can get it out of the garage. Thankfully that worked, $125 later, I was on my way to local dealer. Got the battery replaced, no loaner of-course, since car was not purchased there. This incident happened 3 weeks ago.

Fast forward to today, I have not driven the car for about week as I was out of town. Get to vehicle and battery dead again. I never owned a jeep and this is getting annoying honestly. The car is 6 months old with 3,700 miles and has electrical issues. Anyone know what might be the problem? The only thing I have connected to it,is black-vue dual dashcam and battery pack. The battery pack kills all power to camera after not having enough charge. Prior to owning the Wrangler, I had a 2016 bmw and it never had issues with this setup. Any help would be great. thanks.
Did the dealer replace both batteries, or just one?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not a dealer issue TAZER that people love so much.
Now call the dealer and hope they don't find any left over Tazer info.
#1 warranty killer
The tazer had some isolated issues with draining batteries, but was updated with a sleep mode that prevents overnight drainage.

The real problem is from sitting too long. Batteries like to be cycled, which is why new batteries are generally kept on tenders that cycle back and forth between load and charge. Seems like most who are having this issue have bought one that sat for a while on the lot. It also seems to only affect the wranglers with the v6/ess. I've yet to come across any mention to this happening with the 2.0/bsg.
Sponsored