Japsue932

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited v6
Is it wrong not to do the Jeep wave?
After over 25 years of doing the Miata wave, the motorcycle wave or or general wave because everyone knew my distinctive vehicle, frankly my arm/hand is tired.
Not meaning to seem rude to other Jeep drivers, is there an acceptable manor to say high without the wave?
Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Is it wrong not to do the Jeep wave?
After over 25 years of doing the Miata wave, the motorcycle wave or or general wave because everyone knew my distinctive vehicle, frankly my arm/hand is tired.
Not meaning to seem rude to other Jeep drivers, is there an acceptable manor to say high without the wave?
Hand arm tired ? Switch hands!:handsinair:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Back in '05 or '06 I would have said "Unacceptable! You better wave and like it!" but as the JK started to sell more and more I got used to them (especially the Unlimiteds) not waving. Now I wouldn't blame anyone for not waving. JK sales exploded relative to TJ and earlier models so it has gotten to the point where waving at every jeep could be unsafe. I appreciate the waving hand on the mirror sticker, that works just fine.

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
^^ what that guy said

As a bonus, while I've had my Jeep about 5 months now my kids just noticed last week this whole Jeep wave thing and now they are all about it. Its approaching slugbug level of attention :)

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I got my first Jeep wave while I was test driving my JL and since then I've gone back and forth over this fence a number of times. But just when I'm ready to give up on the whole wave thing I get a wave that I really appreciate. Recently I'm heading home from work and I pass by this white JK that's always parked in front of a home. Never saw anyone at or near the JK before but on my way home last Friday there's a guy standing next to the Jeep. Older but not old, with a beard that reached down to his belt. Really mellow looking fellow and as I passed he gave me a casual wave and it was just the coolest thing ever. The whole thing took place in like 3 or 4 seconds but THAT is the sort of thing that keeps me waving. That little wave made my sucky work day just go away. Made me realize why I love this Jeep so much.

I now wave to every Jeep... don't care if they wave back but it's great when they do. Just 2 fingers off the wheel is all it takes most times. Sometimes I get a wave back and those are the times that make all the other non-responders worth it. Entirely up to them if they want to respond (or initiate) the gesture... I'm doing my part to keep the community strong :like:

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
I love to wave and see who waves back. I often have my 7 and 4 year old in the back and we make a game of it. They love it. We usually have the top down and when we pass a Jeep all three of us wave! When we don’t get a wave back we always say “they’re out to lunch!” Laughs.

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
First time Jeep owner, but have been riding motorcycles for some time. So I "get it" and enjoy waving.
I pretty much wave at everyone. I'd say most people wave back. If they don't, i try to assume they're just having a bad day.
A few times ive received a hand out the window / top wave, those are the best. :)

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I got my first Jeep wave while I was test driving my JL and since then I've gone back and forth over this fence a number of times. But just when I'm ready to give up on the whole wave thing I get a wave that I really appreciate. Recently I'm heading home from work and I pass by this white JK that's always parked in front of a home. Never saw anyone at or near the JK before but on my way home last Friday there's a guy standing next to the Jeep. Older but not old, with a beard that reached down to his belt. Really mellow looking fellow and as I passed he gave me a casual wave and it was just the coolest thing ever. The whole thing took place in like 3 or 4 seconds but THAT is the sort of thing that keeps me waving. That little wave made my sucky work day just go away. Made me realize why I love this Jeep so much.

I now wave to every Jeep... don't care if they wave back but it's great when they do. Just 2 fingers off the wheel is all it takes most times. Sometimes I get a wave back and those are the times that make all the other non-responders worth it. Entirely up to them if they want to respond (or initiate) the gesture... I'm doing my part to keep the community strong :like:
I have adopted the same attitude. Yes a return wave would be nice, but its not going to be the determining factor if I do or do not continue the wave. ITS A JEEP THING, and I'm upholding the tradition. If others choose not to, that on them, I'm still doing it.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This post originally concerned your wave protocol or not.

I consider it perfectly okay that you don't wave.

I invariably do. When I don't get it back my sentiments are, "okay, not that driver's thing," or maybe "they're on the way to the nursing home where they received reports that an elderly parent slipped and fell and have more important things on their mind."

When I get the wave back I'm happy; not upset when I don't. Another Wrangler owner, I tell myself, "gets it," 'it' being the idea that the destination is no less worthy than the trip taken in a Wrangler to get there, when acknowledgement is exchanged..

I quick anecdote: my happiest wave returned: I'm on a cloverleaf changing parkways last summer with the top down/windows open, when a completely open, beach buggy looking doorless classic Wrangler, with a long haired surfing looking driver, with his hair standing sideways in the wind, his left leg on a peg outside the body's confines, in the opposing cloverleaf, rounds the turn to where we are each in the other's view, and simultaneous peace signs are exchanged, as if to say to each other, "this guy 'gets it.' " :)

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
For me it’s not a right or wrong thing, it’s a tradition that was started many decades ago when the world seemed in a better place. Like most traditions started “ back in the day “ they seem to fade away. I always wave , it’s an awesome feeling when I see a young new Jeep driver wave back . You can see the joy it brings them and me as well , it brings back the memories of my first CJ and that excitement of owning a Jeep and sharing it with other Jeep drivers. I’ll keep waving and hoping it won’t become a thing of the past. Sure it’s not the best feeling when I wave and get no response but the next Jeep passes and seeing those two fingers pop up over the steering wheel makes it all good again. :)
I agree J. I also own a C7 Corvette, and your statement can be applied there also. I have been waving at Vettes for over 30 years, but with the advent of the C7 generation in 2014 the wave is waning. With first time buyers along with the younger generations buying them it's a rare situation when one waves back. It just doesn't seem the tradition is being passed down as it was in the past. But, like the Corvette I'll continue waving at every Jeep I pass (if I don't miss it) just in case someone on the other side is just like me. :like:

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I like the wave - I think it shows an appreciation of owning such a unique, fun vehicle. I will always try to wave at a fellow Jeeper and when they wave back, it does make me smile and makes it a little easier making that car payment.

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
Two hour drive on a two lane highway in a super heavy Jeep populated state....I zone out and miss quite a few, but not intentionally.
Sponsored