Jeep Wave Etiquette

dcarey13

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Hi - somewhat new to the forums, so apologies if this topic has been hashed through many times. I had a Wrangler way back in college and loved it. After a lengthy break from Jeeps, I brought my 2 door JL a couple weeks ago. One thing I didn't recall was the "Jeep Wave". I received one or two on the way home with it actually, which brought it all back. Love it!

That being said, my "hit rate" on return waves is pretty low. Which makes me think I either don't understand the etiquette or I'm making this up and there really isn't a "Jeep Wave" any more. Can someone with experience advise? Thanks!!
Sponsored

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 2DR JL Hellayella Rubicon (ORDERED 9/12/18)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi - somewhat new to the forums, so apologies if this topic has been hashed through many times. I had a Wrangler way back in college and loved it. After a lengthy break from Jeeps, I brought my 2 door JL a couple weeks ago. One thing I didn't recall was the "Jeep Wave". I received one or two on the way home with it actually, which brought it all back. Love it!

That being said, my "hit rate" on return waves is pretty low. Which makes me think I either don't understand the etiquette or I'm making this up and there really isn't a "Jeep Wave" any more. Can someone with experience advise? Thanks!!
It's still a thing and your doing it right! Maybe the people that aren't waving back are new Jeep owner's or the driver just didn't notice you.I usually don't wave but just stick up the two fingers holding the steering wheel. Unless the doors are off then I stick my hand out with a piece sign.

Keep on Waving! :handsinair:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
May Area is crappy like that too. I think I may have had just 1 wave in like 20. so far since getting my Jeep. Women are the worse.

azamani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S

Got my first Jeep just over a month ago. I would say my "success" rate of getting a wave back is about 25% I think a big chunk is people just not seeing it until the last second/focusing on the road or tinted windows playing a factor. I've definitely had several folks look directly at me, I initiate the wave, then they just look away and drive by. Got me feeling warm and fuzzy.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Where I live, almost every jeep waves back. I would say that maybe 1/2 the other Jeep's would initiate it if I don't.

Most of the nonreturns I get do seem to be from women.

Sponsored

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
People have to look up from their phones in order to see you wave......I am at about 40% on my return.

Last edited:

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Maybe it's because you live in New York? Haha! Just kidding.

In my area, the return wave or other driver initiating waves is pretty high. I'd say about 75-80% of the Jeeps I pass. In fact, my wife jokes, "it's a brotherhood."

But I have noticed, owners over the age of 60, tend not to wave back. I've also noticed a high number of the ones that do not wave back are unmodified sport owners. Maybe they just wanted a jeep, but don't really get into the whole wave thing.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
This is my second Jeep Wrangler. A few years back when I had my 1999 TJ the wave return factor was high, but now in my JLUR it is much lower... I was starting to get a bit disheartened and concidered whether or not to wave anymore. (My fee-weens were starting to get hurt...) :swear: But my Wife convinced me to stop being a little girl and make a decision, "you're either a waver or you're not a waver, make a choice and stick with it!" So I always wave because it makes me feel good knowing that I'm trying to be a nice person. As in everything in life, do what makes YOU feel good!!! :like:

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 2DR JL Hellayella Rubicon (ORDERED 9/12/18)
Vehicle Showcase
I think back in the day people waved because it wasn't often you seen another Jeep. Now you pass a couple every time your driving. My wife's car is not a Jeep and I catch myself wanting to wave in her car.

msb

First Name
Spenser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
We get about 75% return around the Boston area... I find that when my wife is driving she gets far fewer waves than I do... I find then when I pass another gal in a Jeep they only wave about 20% of the time...

My wife started sticking her hand out the window because she was frustrated with how few waves she got...

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I must be an anomaly, but for some reason I find that Female Jeepers wave more often the Male Jeepers. In fact I've seen a few guys that seem to be very aloof and smug about their builds and anything less is a "Fake Jeep" in their own minds.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
50/50 here in Dallas, most waves coming from folks who are in an older Jeep or have actually gotten it dirty or modified. The soccer mom type probably doesn't and won't understand why people wave at them.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
For me it depends on what area I'm in. Some areas wave a lot, others don't. It also seems to vary based on which jeep I was in. My black JKU and Hyper Green JKU recieved tons of waves. My White JKU and Red JKU receive much less.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Maybe it's because you live in New York? Haha! Just kidding.

In my area, the return wave or other driver initiating waves is pretty high. I'd say about 75-80% of the Jeeps I pass. In fact, my wife jokes, "it's a brotherhood."

But I have noticed, owners over the age of 60, tend not to wave back. I've also noticed a high number of the ones that do not wave back are unmodified sport owners. Maybe they just wanted a jeep, but don't really get into the whole wave thing.
No apologies required @VolCntry73 Tim. From what I can glean, as a tried and true NYer, it is, sadly (I say for my locale) something with a regional component associated with it.

I wave. I mean in warmer weather I'm apt to throw out and initiate a visible peace sign through the driver's side window so it's not like it's not visible. Rarely do I get one back..and that's okay...it's a treat when I do. Nobody forces me to do it, I don't consider reciprocity a requirement.

But I do believe, based on other posts I've read here that--how can I say this and still be politically correct, people are just more manners oriented in Tennessee that downstate NY.

That comment is painted in broad strokes. There are many nice people by me, and I am sure, just like in any population center, some bad apples in Tennessee.

Maybe people by me are too worried about crime, maybe people by you are more indoctrinated with faith and kindness going part in parcel with each other.

I just don't know.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I also find that whenever a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model is driving a Wrangler in the opposite direction to me I always get a wave and smile initiated……

….and then my alarm clock goes off;)
Sponsored