Sector281411

Sector281411

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Gladiator Willy's Edition
No, it's an inside joke. Jeep and everyone here knows that your taste in music isn't worth more than what a $16 speaker can do.

Yes, they're like... "forget the solid axles, folding windshield, having four doors yet the roof comes off and there's an option for a convertible soft top with room for plenty of cargo... how dare Jeep not let Nicki Minaj and Drake sound like they were right in front of me!" ... actually, in the OP's own words, Jeep did just that. The only way Jeep could have done better is if they fitted an ejector seat that got activated whenever someone played crap like that.
dude I don’t know who pissed in your Cheerios but tone it down a bit. I feel $1300 up charge for a garbage Premium Sound sys
Why do they do it? Bc they can... which is why the best thing that cld have happened (for future jeep owners) is for a wrangler to no longer be unique. Ford and fca going to battle it out. Long overdue
I agree a little competition is good thing
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
dude I don’t know who pissed in your Cheerios but tone it down a bit. I feel $1300 up charge for a garbage Premium Sound sys
Click bait title... that's why. I'm the first to point out Jeep's crap but blaming the entire company that gives a one of a kind vehicle because you paid for a factory audio system without listening to it... that's a lack of common sense. People don't use that thing anymore. Instead they just whine about it in a drum circle afterwards.

Jim M

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport 2 door
I have no complaints about my radio,I just never turn it on, It's the rest of the car I have complaints about. I would have bought one without a radio if I could. Personal I have trouble understanding how A vehicle such as A wrangler and A good sound system could go together. Please don't take offense with my view. This is only me. Remember we are all ignorant just about different things!

shelglass

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
To compete with the Bronco, I read that all 2021 and newer Jeeps will at least have the 7" unit. The 5" is going away. That's the beauty of competition: it causes the manufacturer to improve the product to remain competitive. I wouldn't be surprised to see LED headlights become standard, too, since the Bronco has them standard.
We all have to remember that Jeep is a business first. They wanted to eek out every last penny of profit on each of their units sold. Nickel and diming the consumer with costly packages to get a simple radio is commonplace and criticizing Jeep for exercising it's entrepreneurial spirit is an affront to capitalism.
Sure, I'm disappointed that I got an early production Sport S with a 5" radio and dome lights that don't utilize the map lights (look at the other threads about this) and without the rumored standard safety tech that will come with the 2021 models. But that's what we get as early adopters or a new product.
Bitch all you want, but if you're a shareholder of FCA and you're getting a decent dividend, then that's what it's all about: shareholder profits. Making customers happy is secondary (though we know the inverse is true and a better strategy: make the customers happy and that will increase share holder profits).
And before the Bronco fanboys start with their diatribes of superiority, Ford puts cheap crap on their cars, too, and utilizes their parts bin whenever they can.
It's manufacturing 101 and sales 102: use the cheapest labor and parts and build for obsolescence to force the consumer to upgrade with the new product cycle.
Thank you Bronco for pushing Jeep's hand and shame on Jeep for having to wait for competition. Jeep, you have a loyal fan base and we should be treated better...
Ford, as you read this, and we know you are on this forum trolling all of us, take notes!!
All True

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
upgraded speakers will be my next Jeeproject. Both Jeeps are slated for audio improvements this fall.
Not unhappy with the JL’s Alpine system, just want better clarity at higher volumes since i’m so frickin hard of hearing already.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I can always tell when it's someone's first Jeep based on the aspects of the vehicle that they complain about. Hell...with the wind/tire noise who can distinguish anyway?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
To compete with the Bronco, I read that all 2021 and newer Jeeps will at least have the 7" unit. The 5" is going away.I wouldn't be surprised to see LED headlights become standard, too, since the Bronco has them standard.

Sure, I'm disappointed that I got an early production Sport S with a 5" radio and dome lights that don't utilize the map lights (look at the other threads about this) and without the rumored standard safety tech that will come with the 2021 models. But that's what we get as early adopters or a new product.
On Thursday Sept. 3rd, and after significant research, I ordered a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.

I'm looking at the paperwork that was provided to me after I wrote the deposit check. The presence of the 5" UConnect 3 head unit, and incandescent forward lighting, was confirmed by the Jeep site itself, as well as the proprietary dealer order information screen (I watched as the sales manager configured my vehicle order.)

The dome light on my new Sport will include four separate map lights. It will not, however, be equipped with the suite of safety features (beyond ESC) that are present on upper tier trim levels at additional cost; e.g., blind spot monitoring and forward collision warning.

It'll never happen, but it would be awesome if a vehicle could be ordered with no audio components- just the wiring (but then the manufacturer would miss out on one of the more profitable portions of the vehicle, so...)!
My first Jeep, a 1995 Wrangler S, was purchased new in December 1994. Neither a head unit nor any speakers were included as standard in that trim level. The customer had to select and pay for the same via the order sheet, or purchase via the aftermarket. Relevant wiring was behind the dash of the S, provided the customer chose the latter option.

The 1995 Wrangler was the last model year for the YJ generation. The absence of a radio and speaker was evident for at least several years during the YJ's 10 year lifespan.

I'd agree that a so-called radio delete, in base model trim levels, isn't something that we're likely to see now or in the future.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
On Thursday Sept. 3rd, and after significant research, I ordered a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.

I'm looking at the paperwork that was provided to me after I wrote the deposit check. The presence of the 5" UConnect 3 head unit, and incandescent forward lighting, was confirmed by the Jeep site itself, as well as the proprietary dealer order information screen (I watched as the sales manager configured my vehicle order.)

The dome light on my new Sport will include four separate map lights. It will not, however, be equipped with the suite of safety features (beyond ESC) that are present on upper tier trim levels at additional cost; e.g., blind spot monitoring and forward collision warning.

My first Jeep, a 1995 Wrangler S, was purchased new in December 1994. Neither a head unit nor any speakers were included as standard in that trim level. The customer had to select and pay for the same via the order sheet, or purchase via the aftermarket. Relevant wiring was behind the dash of the S, provided the customer chose the latter option.

The 1995 Wrangler was the last model year for the YJ generation. The absence of a radio and speaker was evident for at least several years during the YJ's 10 year lifespan.

I'd agree that a so-called radio delete, in base model trim levels, isn't something that we're likely to see now or in the future.
Starting at the low end, the Wrangler Sport S comes standard next year with the Technology Group, currently a $995 option. The tech package adds a seven-inch TFT screen in the gauge cluster, the seven-inch Uconnect touchscreen with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, climate control with air filtering, and a one-year subscription to SiriusXM. All Wranglers with the seven-inch Uconnect screen will also get Selectable Tire-Fill Alerts (STFA). When airing up the tires, the STFA honks the horn to let the compressor operator know the tire is at the correct air pressure, and honks three times if the air line gets pulled when pressure is too low or too high.

Under the skin, the Sport S is presently equipped with Jeep's Command-Trac 4x4 system that's permanently in all-wheel drive mode. Next year, buyers will be able to upgrade to the Selec-Trac 4x4 unit that's an option on the Sahara and Sahara Altitude, and automatically switches between two- and four-wheel drive depending on traction needs. Above that, MI says the Rock-Trac 4x4 system exclusive to the Rubicon trim will gain the 2WD/4WD switchability from the Selec-Trac 4x4 system.

This is from AutoBlog: https://www-autoblog-com.cdn.amppro...021-jeep-wrangler-standard-equipment-options/

Reactions: VNT

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
Manufacturer-supplied audio upgrades are almost always a poor value for the money- that's not unique to FCA/Jeep.

It'll never happen, but it would be awesome if a vehicle could be ordered with no audio components- just the wiring (but then the manufacturer would miss out on one of the more profitable portions of the vehicle, so...)! Of course, the radio is getting incorporated more and more into things like climate control, etc.- so the days of just simply replacing the head unit (at least without spending a mint to get something manufactured to be compatible with all the systems) are gone.

I've heard the Alpine system in a friend's Jeep- it isn't awful (but for about $700 in upgraded components, we both agree my base system sounds better). I've replaced all the speakers in my JL, and- without a doubt- replacing those dash speakers was the biggest difference (I didn't have the Alpine system, but the speakers I tossed from the dash look at LOT like the OPs). Next biggest improvement came from adding an underseat powered sub. Third was swapping out the little speakers in the overhead pod for 6.5" speakers (Alpine considers those speakers to be "fillers" but if you put a decent size up there they become an important part of the system). Finally, swapping out the little knee speakers for 6.5" speakers did fill things out. Takes a total of maybe 8 hours to do all the above, and you end up with a great sounding system.

I get why people get the Alpine upgrade (maybe they don't want to have do anything to the sound system), but- if you can follow some Crutchfield directions- just get the base system and improve on it.
What exactly did you upgrade? Did you add an amp as well?

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
jimquill said:
What exactly did you upgrade? Did you add an amp as well?
  • The head unit is still stock (the "middle one" - 7" screen I believe)- it's the only OEM audio component in my Jeep.
  • Dash speakers are the Mopar Kicker upgrade (from a Dodge model- think it's 77KICKERAB or something like that). This was my first upgrade, and it made an immediate difference.
  • Soundbar speakers were replaced with SSV 6.5" pods (running their speakers, very happy). Alpine states the soundbar speakers are just "fillers," and they are if you stick with the small OEM speakers. With coax 6.5" speakers they become a big part of the sound- definitely worth the upgrade.
  • Knee panel speakers were replaced with Infinity 6.5" coax speakers using Metra pods. These are the most difficult speakers to upgrade, but does a great job at filling out the front sound.
  • SoundOrdnance powered subwoofer is installed under the passenger front seat. I think it's only an 8" sub, but it definitely does the trick for me.
  • Installed an Alpine KTP-445 amp (did a whole write-up, it used to be possible to make this a plug-n-play install using components from Alpine- but the harnesses are no longer available anywhere). It is definitely worth it to install this little amp (which can be placed above the glovebox or- as mine is- under the passenger seat next to my subwoofer). One of the advantages of the Alpine KTP is you do not need to wire in resistors- just hook up the speaker inputs and outputs and you're good to go. Another advantage is you can actually just draw power from your radio circuit (you'll need to install a power cable for a subwoofer- but not for this amp).
All in, I'm well under $1,000 for everything (plus about 10-16 hours combined for all the installs... a lot of that is invested in upgrading the knee panel speakers). I have a friend who has the premium Alpine system in his JL, and we both agree my system sounds as good or better. I'd say the best endorsement comes from my 26 year old- who likes his "music" unbearably loud and certifies that my current set up gets the job done. Even with the top and doors off, we can get the audio performance we want.

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
  • The head unit is still stock (the "middle one" - 7" screen I believe)- it's the only OEM audio component in my Jeep.
  • Dash speakers are the Mopar Kicker upgrade (from a Dodge model- think it's 77KICKERAB or something like that). This was my first upgrade, and it made an immediate difference.
  • Soundbar speakers were replaced with SSV 6.5" pods (running their speakers, very happy). Alpine states the soundbar speakers are just "fillers," and they are if you stick with the small OEM speakers. With coax 6.5" speakers they become a big part of the sound- definitely worth the upgrade.
  • Knee panel speakers were replaced with Infinity 6.5" coax speakers using Metra pods. These are the most difficult speakers to upgrade, but does a great job at filling out the front sound.
  • SoundOrdnance powered subwoofer is installed under the passenger front seat. I think it's only an 8" sub, but it definitely does the trick for me.
  • Installed an Alpine KTP-445 amp (did a whole write-up, it used to be possible to make this a plug-n-play install using components from Alpine- but the harnesses are no longer available anywhere). It is definitely worth it to install this little amp (which can be placed above the glovebox or- as mine is- under the passenger seat next to my subwoofer). One of the advantages of the Alpine KTP is you do not need to wire in resistors- just hook up the speaker inputs and outputs and you're good to go. Another advantage is you can actually just draw power from your radio circuit (you'll need to install a power cable for a subwoofer- but not for this amp).
All in, I'm well under $1,000 for everything (plus about 10-16 hours combined for all the installs... a lot of that is invested in upgrading the knee panel speakers). I have a friend who has the premium Alpine system in his JL, and we both agree my system sounds as good or better. I'd say the best endorsement comes from my 26 year old- who likes his "music" unbearably loud and certifies that my current set up gets the job done. Even with the top and doors off, we can get the audio performance we want.
Thanks for that thorough write up. I think I’m going to go the same route as you. I don’t want to mess with resisters etc... it’s crazy, I help doctors install heart valves for a living and it’s not 1/2 as complex as stereo upgrades!!
Sponsored