Jeep is Gone

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
And this goes to show you how poorly trained FCA service techs are. You'd think they'd do a better job teaching them how to spot things like this so that Jeep only has to eat shit on a sensor instead of an entire axle.
The problem isn't the techs, it's FCA themselves. They don't offer the sensor as a separate part, it's only available as part of an axle assembly. If they would make this $50 part available separately, then it would be a whole lot easier.
Sponsored

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Wrangler JL Rubicon (Manual Transmission)
It won't be long before aftermarket parts are readily available to make that a simple fix.
Z Automotive offers a simple locker sensor bypass which is installed inline with the wiring harness at the diff Z Locker OEM. Looks like it bypasses the sensor but still allows activation of the locker. Curious if anyone's tried this. I have a 2019 Rubicon and haven't had the sensors fail yet but I may do this mod anyway to avoid problems in the future. Price is $180 per sensor bypass. That seems high for what it is (a few inches of wire and some connectors), but it's definitely cheaper than new axle assemblies.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Z Automotive offers a simple locker sensor bypass which is installed inline with the wiring harness at the diff Z Locker OEM. Looks like it bypasses the sensor but still allows activation of the locker. Curious if anyone's tried this. I have a 2019 Rubicon and haven't had the sensors fail yet but I may do this mod anyway to avoid problems in the future. Price is $180 per sensor bypass. That seems high for what it is (a few inches of wire and some connectors), but it's definitely cheaper than new axle assemblies.
Hi Alex, if you're handy pulling wrenches you might try potting the sensors.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ion-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/post-1279117

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi Alex, I used the mopar locker harness to bypass the sensor and wired them to my aux switches. Have worked great ever since. Also it is only $80.00 each and cheaper through amazon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Watchthis

Watchthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions but I think my decision was mostly based on principle. Had this Jeep for 26 months and all these things started going wrong.
Our 2006 GMC Sierra 189thousand miles replaced an airbag sensor.
2015 GMC Sierra 107thousand miles just maintenance. I’m disappointed with what FCA is doing with Jeep they should be tougher.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions but I think my decision was mostly based on principle. Had this Jeep for 26 months and all these things started going wrong.
2015 GMC Sierra 107thousand miles just maintenance. I’m disappointed with what FCA is doing with Jeep they should be tougher.
I can guarantee with absolute certainty there are mechanical problems with your 189k mile pickup that you are simply ignoring.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The problem isn't the techs, it's FCA themselves. They don't offer the sensor as a separate part, it's only available as part of an axle assembly. If they would make this $50 part available separately, then it would be a whole lot easier.
FCA doesn't make the part.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
FCA doesn't make the part.
They don't make a lot of parts that they make available, like gas caps and wiper blades. They can make this available, I'm not sure why they don't.

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
They don't make a lot of parts that they make available, like gas caps and wiper blades. They can make this available, I'm not sure why they don't.
Maybe they are working with the manufacturer on getting a better quality alternative made vs reselling the same part so it can break again? I can hope at least...

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
It is not solely up to them to make the parts available. It is a supply problem.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
That was my father's experience with whatever factory iRadio was installed in his 2015 3500 Cummins. It was replaced under warranty. The dealer returned the vehicle to him with a non-functioning HVAC system (the controls for which were bundled in said iRadio.) He had to get within a hair of engaging an attorney (for what would have begun with a demand letter) before the offending dealership begrudgingly agreed to installing a remanufactured replacement unit. The same chumps that didn't test the original replacement for function before giving the keys back the first time. Did they think the customer wouldn't notice? I still shake my head that this actually happened.

Everything works as it should now, but he won't be darkening their doorway ever again.

Ah. British Leyland. I've owned three of that breed, two being MGs. A fair bit of my automotive apprenticeship was served, serving them.

The factory wheels (both the wires, and the steel Rostyles) are hub-centric. They require special balancing equipment and knowledge.

As for Lucas, there are workarounds. The harnesses were built to a price, and more relays than were originally present are necessary to add a measure of reliability (example). Aftermarket rocker switches to replace the godawful originals might not look correct, but they were always my go-to early on. This book helped enormously, also. My second B in particular, now sold, was as reliable as I'd want it to be. It won Best in Class some years ago.

They can be good cars, but I grant that the work has to be put in.

The foregoing was knowledge earned through hindsight, and the experience of others. Pioneers like yourself. :)
Same experience here - just had to trade in a 1979 VW Sirocco for a 1980 Triumph TR8, with the usual Lucas issues, etc., because hey I was in FL and needed that soft top. Sold it after a year.

Didn't learn my lesson and 2 years later bought a TR6 to restore - owning that car was like owning an airplane - maintenance hours were greater than driving hours:), or so it seemed.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Jeep doesn't make many of the parts, but the vendors build the parts to Jeeps specs.

As far as FCA (Fiat) quality, wait until Stellantis (Peugeot) takes over. We already had one French company (Renault) try their hand running Jeep and quality wasn't a major concern then.

Let's see, who all has run Jeep.

Willys-Overland '41-'53
Kaiser '53-'70
AMC '70-'79
Renault '79-'87
Chrysler '87-'98
DaimlerChrysler (really Daimler AG) '98-'07
Cerberus (not a car company) '07-'10
Fiat '10-'20
And about to be Stellantis (Peugeot) 2021 forward

Is there any other brand in the auto industry that has had so many different companies at the reigns?

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Ok first, those are full-size trucks. Full-size trucks are a whole different ballgame. Also one of those you call out is 15 years old...not even remotely comparable to a 2020 anything. My 2010 Tahoe has needed nothing more than wear items in it's life also...but that's a far cry from a new Jeep Wrangler. Hell most of the things you are complaining about weren't even dreamed about when your 2006 Sierra was made. Chevy and Ford full-sizers are major exceptions to the rule and always have been...you can't expect that kind of reliability from anything else. That said, you don't actually GET it anymore either, even in those very trucks. They have the same random gadget troubles that any other similarly equipped vehicle has.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
That was a bad choice. Against the advice of my roommate and every mechanic I asked, I bought a Triumph Spitfire (aka “misfire”) when they had a lot full of them in 1979 for cheap. As it turns out, all the folks I talked to were right. That tiny cartoon car was fun to drive in the sun, but it was a POS British car... The brits were building miserably unreliable cars long before we yanks learned how to follow in their footsteps. :CWL:
My friend rode a Triumph motorcycle (back when they really sucked). He had a sticker that said "The parts falling off this bike are of the highest quality British manufacture."
Sponsored